Sherwood Wisdom vs Oceanic Atom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheelr20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All;

Just need your opinion on Sherwood Wisdom vs Oceanic Atom 2.o w/transmitter. I can get either one for basically the same price, 350-400.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Oceanic. Hoseless air integrated is so much nicer for travel and streamlining. People may say they worry about the computer not working, in my 5+ years with hoseless air integrated I've never had a problem. Plus, if you check your air regularly like you're trained to do, even if the computer dies, you should know within 100-300 psi how much you have.

Thanks Nick. I guess my reluctance going hoseless is the fact that I've always been taught that redundancy is a necessity. It seems to me though, that keeping my present computer and spg on a hose for backup kind of defeats the purpose of going hoseless.

I've got both computers on my reg set, and I'd say go for the atom with the spg as a backup. No it doesn't eliminate a hose, but you can secure the spg so it is out of the way, and 99.9% of the time you will never need to look at it. Having the relevant dive info on your wrist is so much more convienient than having to hold onto a gauge set or regularly reach for it (I often dive in low vis, so keeping an eye on depth is very important, without even mentioning air). The only thing I like the wisdom for more is on night dives, as the backlight button is much larger and easier to press. That said I like both computers and you should be fine with either.

Thanks Nick. I guess my reluctance going hoseless is the fact that I've always been taught that redundancy is a necessity. It seems to me though, that keeping my present computer and spg on a hose for backup kind of defeats the purpose of going hoseless.

Do you have a redundant air source?

Do you have a redundant air source?

Good point. Although, I have been looking into getting a Spare Air system. But getting back to the computer redundancy, I've always used just one computer. So I guess my concern is one caused by a getting used to the fact that my computer, or more specifically, my spg won't be hooked up to a hose. Pretty irrational when it comes right down to it.

I dive with a pony bottle (please don't go Spare Air) and usually have 3 computers on me on every dive. I used the pony once (I unclipped it and handed it to my divemaster who was out of air) and have looked at the two backup computers only during safety stops because I'm bored and want to see if they all read the same. 1,000+ dives. So yes, things can go wrong, just not that often. And if you check your gauges regularly and dive with a buddy, you have all the redundancy you really need.

Thanks for your help Nick. I actually decided on the Oceanic Atom 2.0. Should have it by the weekend. I'm pretty diligent about checking my gauges and keeping track of bottom time and air and dive with a buddy.

In fact, just ordered an Air XS from Brett at LP for my buddy, who we're having a surprise party for this weekend. At least I know he'll have a reliable (I hope) alternate air rig on him when we go diving!

Oceanic Atom 2.0 all that way. The new 3.0 is nicer, but a little more in price. The thing I love about Oceanic is their quality control. They test 100% of all computers made, and it is an extensive test. They pressuize them to 275ft 100 times, then put them into an over at 130 degrees F for 16 hours. If they pass all of that they do one last final check and then send them out. Oceanic all the way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom