Sherwood Wisdom problem....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hopefully, sherwood will step up. i'm a bit concerned because some folks are saying that their customer support isn't all that great. i hope i don't have to eat it. can't afford to buy another dc right now. the oceanic pro plus II looks pretty good...big numbers for a nearsighted old wreck like me.

I realize some of these postings are very old but wanted to put my thoughts in regarding anyone considering sherwood computers. I owned a Sherwood Wisdom for about 2yrs, have roughly 75 dives logged on it and encountered a problem with it 2 wks ago in hawaii. Like some of the others on this posting, I did 2 dives and sometime between completing those two dives and the next morning my computer was flashing thru screens uncontrollably and would not stop. I bought my computer at sports chalet and after intensive arguing, I was finally able to return the computer (remember 2 yrs old) in exchange for a new one. They no longer carry the wisdom so I was able to switch to suunto. I really liked the sherwood wisdom until of course it failed, and less so after reading all these forums. Given the computer is an integral part of your life support under the water, I told the manager at sports chalet i don't even want it fixed because I refused to dive with a computer that I can no longer trust. I think I got lucky being able to exchange it given they did not want to do anything and advised i go thru sherwood directly. we all know what kind of hassle that is, so i guess my only advise when trying to return faulty computers is....cross your fingers and be addiment when trying to return it! it is part of your life support so argue and demand something be done from wherever you bought it! Best of luck!

PS. I will not be using sherwood computers anymore! =(

my sherwood wisdom leaks in the battery case. After about 6 floodings, I had to seal it shut with silicon. that worked for about 10 dives, then had to replace the battery and, well, here we go again! Flooded 5 days ago while on my first dive and now I have to get it repaired. I'm not EVER going to buy sherwood ever again! really bad customer service and a bad product.

Just as a counter-example, I purchased my Wisdom 2 in March of this year (2008) and have logged over 50 dives with it so far, max. 140'/typical 70', and have treated it fairly roughly with no problems.

A couple months ago, I did catch the fact that the quick release mounting to the computer was coming loose, and tightened it before anything bad happened. Also, one time I got these crazy pressure readings up and down so I thought it had busted, but it turns out it was my fault - my tank valve wasn't open all the way.

I know a lot of the Wisdom 1's had reliability problems initially, back in 2005. But I think they fixed those on subsequent manufacturing runs, and then rolled what they learned into the nearly identical-looking Wisdom 2, which has had a much better track record.

...which isn't to say there might still be some that fail occasionally out there. It's just a piece of electronic equipment after all. But I think the Wisdom 2 has a reliability as good as comparable units.

One problem I have heard about is people replacing just the battery, and either not replacing the battery compartment O-ring, or inadvertently removing or damaging it. Either of these could definitely cause the problems divingdeep described. I haven't had to replace my battery yet, but I did buy the official battery replacement kit (which includes a new O-ring) from my LDS to keep in my save-a-dive bag. The manual clearly states that when you change the battery, you should change the O-ring.

>*< Fritz

After a couple of years frequent use with no problems, my unit started the screen flashing too. I tried what was mentioned here, soaking it in fresh water for about a week, and the problem went away.

I have owned 3 Wisdom computers SW 2 and SW 3 Never had a problem. But sand easily get under the buttons and you have to wiggle it out of its boot.
Dived with a UWATEC Smartcom and it was a pain.had problems with flashing screen and couldn't get much help. And the Scuba Pro Luna is nice but support is crumby.
Moral of the story..Expect that after 2 or 3 hundred dives You'll be looking for another computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom