Sherwood Vs. Dive Community

Sherwood or Aqualung?

• Sherwood

Votes: 35 58.3%
  • Aqualung

Votes: 25 41.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove a Sherwood Blizzard reg and a Sherwood Avid BC for many years in cold/deep water and found it to be very well made gear...I would think Aqualung regs could be considered a class above Sherwood but in terms of BCDs what do they have...Apeks WTK harness system?

Cheers.

-J.-

I'm no expert, but I can beat the crap out of my Sherwood Brut and the thing still works. I've heard of some trouble with Aqua Lung, but it's all a matter of preference and price.

I love my Sherwood Avid BC I have over 100 dives on it and NO problems

Sherwood makes fine gear. I can share something to take it a step further.

I contacted Sherwood (via their presence on this board) a few months ago about my way out of warranty and very well used Wisdom that was having problems. Based on the serial number, it was one of the early units made. They didn't have to do anything for me....way too much time had passed and I didn't have so much as the box it came it (no documentation of any kind), but they offered to trade it for a refurb unit at a very fair price.

Try contacting Aqualung as an end user for something like that. You won't get very far.

Rich

I am on my second Sherwood bc in close to 26 years. The only reason I made the move from my original bc to my new Avid, was that I outgrew the origianal. One of the things I like about the Sherwood lines of bc and the Avid in particular is all of the attachment points for different things like the D rings and knife/snorkle pack.
As far as my regs I have a Sherwood magnum, never had a problem with it at all, especially on beach dives were sand gets into everything and everywhere.

If you want a reg that you can beat the **** out of and still have it work like new, buy a Sherwood. IMHO their regs don't perform as well as high end regs, but they cost a heck of a lot less. I've had a Blizard down to 150 fsw and it breathed as well as on the surface. The only complaint I have about sherwood regs is that they tend to breathe wet, especially upside down.

Trek fins are trash. On that I can agree with your friends.

Sherwood BCs are very similar in quality to most BCs on the market. They're also cheaper than most BCs. I don't like most BCs. Sherwood is no different.

Anyone who says that Sherwood is trash is just being influenced by the price tag.

Ever notice that most rental regs are Sherwoods. That's because they will take more abuse than other regs.

I have to agree with my brother on this one. Although I've found that they do breathe a little harder in water over 100'. He has some of those Trek fins, and they are horrible. When I dive wet, I usually use split fins (biofins), and I can't stand his old Trek fins.

That being said, I got jealous after he upgraded to some Apeks regs, and had to get some myself. (By the way Jeff, I got some new regs while you were on vacation)

The main reasons I went with Sherwood regulators at first are:

1) I used them during certification
2) I know people that have had them for over a dozen years without servicing them, and they still work great.
3) When I told the LDS owner I wanted Sherwood. he told me that all the local fire depts. use them, and the reason he sells other regulators is people want the longer warranty. (which he said you don't need with Sherwoods)

Another vote for Sherwood here. I have 2 Maximus regs and 1 Blizzard. They are great regs that I love to use. I also have a Avid BC that I think is a great BC. I do not dive that BC anymore only because I moved to a BP/W, but it is of top quality.

I do not think that there is anything wrong with Aqualung at all but I think that it is crazy for anyone to say that Sherwood is trash.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom