Sherwood Ventura

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhincodon

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this bcd (Sherwood Ventura)? There does not seem to be much information out there regarding this bcd. It looks like it might make a nice travel bcd.

Regards
Jon

We just got one in the shop for our end of April package sale. However I was forbidden from opening the box; leaving it for the manager himself.
I'll let you know my impressions after I stop in next Fri.

Right off the bat I do not like the plastic D-rings. I've seen them break over long periods of time. So we're talking about you owning your BC for 20 years, metal D-rings aren't going to show any where; but plastic ones will. Sun damage will kill it over time too.

I do like how they fixed the form fitting waist strap issue from the Axis. The Axis's waist strap never really form fitted to anyone because the weight pockets impeded the waist strap from forming around anything but the biggest beer gut.
That's all I've got from looking at the catalog. I'll get back to you when I get my hands on the unit.

So first off, I'm a cold water DIR inspired, Bp/W diver. So it generally takes a real lot for a stock BC to impress me. Just getting that out there in advance.

The Sherwood Ventura is marketed as a travel BC. And would not be suited for anything other than warm water in my opinion.

130419_001.jpg130419_003.jpg130419_004.jpg130419_006.jpg

Ok so overall I'm not impressed. The good is this BC REALLY fits me, which is the first stock BC of it's kind to pull that off. The waist strap wraps perfectly around me and really is just as good as a waist strap on a Bp/W. Without a crotch strap though I'm sure it would still ride up, but that's a different story.
I tried on a Small, I have a 28in waist, and it fit snugly with a little bit more room to cinch down the strap. So the sizing isn't super big like the way most BC's I've seen are heading.

It has no rigid backing at all, the tank plate is a very small concave 2inx2in (estimate) plastic piece that holds the tank very secure w/ the camband. The camband is set very low on the BC, which is a first I've seen in any BC.
Because of the placement, you can really roll this like a sleeping bag.

There is very little fabric, just the middle of the backpad; the rest is a vinyl-like material that would pretty much dry with a quick shake. I do not believe the vinyl-like material soaks up water at all. I'm sure it would collect scuffs and scraps like crazy though, so if you want a stellar looking BC throughout your life, this one might not be it. That's not to say it feels like the material would rip easily, it's just shiny and smooth. So usual wear and tear scratches would really show up, IMO.

The weight pockets hold 8lbs per side and come with separate bag holsters like Zeagle has done. You can load them in from the top via zipper, so installing them yourself when your kit is on is super easy. To dump you pull the cord which yanks the clips undone. You do not need the bags to load weights into the integrated pockets though. It does help to keep say, your 8 1-pounder weight all in one unit though. That's the idea behind the inner bag.

Very sturdy connection clips on the weight pockets; I do not see them coming undone unless you want them to.
There are NO trim pockets at all however, so the total integration of this BC is 16lbs total; it is a travel BC after all.
Every size of the Ventura is rated for only 16lbs total. 8lbs in each BC weight pocket. So keep that in mind.
I did not check the lift capacity for each size of BC; which come to think of it, isn't on the website. So let me get back to you on that. Might have to be till next Fri.

Now what I do not like is the deal breaker; for me.
The tank strap is set real low, I guess so you could fold it up practically. The carry handle is on the inside of the BC backing. It will press into your neck if you don't sling it over your tank, which you should be doing anyways. You can see what happens in the pictures, if you don't connect the carry handle to the valve. For me, this wasn't intuitive at first for some reason, which is why I mention it. That in itself isn't the problem.

What is the problem is because the tank strap is so low, I can imagine there being stability issues with the tank rocking off the BC. Normally this happens with the bottom of the tank on traditional 1-strap BC's. But here it's reversed. All your top stability comes from the carry handle, so I can imagine the tank rocking the top part of your BC back and forth off your back if you're on a rocking boat; because there's a less rigid connection there as opposed to the standard BC where your tank strap is on the shoulder of the tank, not at the base. Didn't try this out because I didn't want to put wear on the new BC.
I do not imagine this being a huge issue; as long as you cinch up the carry handle around the tank valve, it's not going to rock off and tip off you. But I'm sure it will feel "different" when you're standing on the rocking boat all geared up.

There is only 1 shoulder D-ring, which is size 1in and plastic. You will only be able to fit 3 bolt snaps on it, and that's pushing it. There are no pockets to speak of, so if you have many accessories to clip off, it's either on the waist or in wetsuit pockets.
There are 2 waist D-rings that are size 2in, so no problems there. They are all plastic though, and like I mentioned before, I do not prefer plastic simply for lifelong durability VS metal. Metal will always win out.
They are sewn in very sturdy though, so you won't have to worry about ripping them out over time.

Corrugated hose is 16in, standard length on stock BC's; standard diameter size as well so you can connect a generic inflator if yours ever craps out. Or an Air 2.
Shoulder dump, pull dump, and butt dump.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
Scuba.com, Scuba Toys and various other sites says Lift capacity is as follows:
Small - 28lbs
M - 37
L - 37
XL - 37

Excellent review thank you! I believe the low tank strap is similar to the Aqualung zuma which was very stable with the use of sinch strap around the valve. Its odd that the sinch strap is on the front side of bcd instead of the back. How comfortable is the bcd?

Ahh, well good to know there's success with that tank strap design.

I found out the vinyl-like material is TPU, Thermoplastic polyurethane.

It's just as comfortable as any other non-hard backing BC. You don't notice the strap as long as it's slung over the valve. My coworker made a point that the TPU material they use makes it impossible to sewn something in without compromising it. Which is probably why they chose to sew the carry handle on the inside (the only place where there's a fabric backing). It's the only way they could do it.
I didn't get a chance to wear it with a tank on though.

I got this BCD a couple months ago. I agree with all thats been said. Bottom line is its a solid travel bcd. My opinion is that it is a extremely lightweight bcd that is very durable (for being in the travel class). It is a travel BCD though. It lacks the bells and whistles of many bcd's. I was really pleased with it when i received the product but have yet to dive with it. I'm taking it diving next week and will give my impressions. Construction is good and even the plastic D rings appear that they will hold up well under moderate use. If you are a warm water vacation diver this could be a great option.

After a couple dive trips to the Caribbean (Mexico & Roatan) i can report that my Sherwood Ventura performed extremely well. I was really surprised how comfortable it was and how well it performed in the water.

On the negative side, i did have the right top dump pull knob pop off the string. Happened on my first trip and i was pretty annoyed. It appeared the knot in the pull string was two small to hold firmly in the plastic pull knob. The knob was sealed at the bottom so there was no easy way to re-attach it to the string. I haven't messed with it much or contacted sherwood. It won't be to hard to fix. Given that it has a pull dump at the top of the inflator hose as well, i really haven't needed the other dump that often. All the other dump knobs held strong with hard pulls so it might have been a fluke defect. I was also worried that the bottom pull dump pull was to close to the right weight dump pull. It was a concern that i could get them confused even thought the knob shapes are different. In use, it really didn't seem to be an issue. Perceptually they are in very different places (even though in reality they are a bit close to each other)

Other than that one issue, i've been super happy. It def surpassed my expectations for a travel BCD. Its durable and really stable in the water. It really is out of the way and feels streamline (which I like). It folds up and packs very compact. Weight pockets are well placed and the out of the way. I wouldn't recommend more than 16lbs or so in them though.

I would fully recommend this BC to any warm water recreational divers.

I just bought the new (orange) version of this BC and will be taking it on my next dive. The thing that bothers me most is that it has no storage space whatsoever. Three clips. That's it. Adding trim weight pockets in the back would have also been nice. Looks nice and sturdy and certainly is light. It looks like Sherwood moved the tank strap up a bit, from your description.

Back
Top Bottom