Sherwood Ventura

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blast from the past; nice to know my dumb phone pictures still looks good 4 years later.

Yeah Sherwood did move the tank strap up on the Ventura. Stability issues with the original, like I mentioned above were a major problem once you left the water. I think most mfg's have gone away with folding BC's. No one was utilizing the feature; it really took up more space in your luggage than if you laid it flat and packed on top of it.

They're still going with the plastic D-rings though. You can utilize the shoulder and waist strap D-rings. So you're only missing 1 shoulder D-ring when compared to other BC's. It really is travel style. Carry a whistle & SMB, maybe a camera and dive. They're not betting you'll be packing the full kit on holiday.

Last edited:
Thanks g, this is all very useful
Sherwood's offered a nice "do-gooder" pricing package, so this thing is on the short-list for us. The fast-dry is amongst my go-to interests, though I dislike integrated weights generally for small boats- easy fix, just wear a belt. Having said that, I'm not as young as I'd like to be so am interested to see how my back does after a 5hr-underwater day.
A somewhat larger worry is the face-down default surface position, as we spend a lot of solo-time.
Also might be a drama to surface-carry bricks without the inflated sides to cradle them (BCD's a barge, I'm pushing on snorkel).
I don't use D-rings as most of our working kit is in high-colour bags. We don't tend to swim very far.
Thinking...

Marine scientist from Charleston? Prof. Dustan was amongst the charlatans that conned me back to grad-school, way-back-when :)

Safety Issue!!!I made more than hundred dives with this BDC and was happy with it since my last dive trip. In the middle of a dive, without any warning, the plastic part that hold the tank band on the harness part of the bcd just broke. By chance, the 2 wings strap on the side hold and the wing is also attached to the shoulder bands on the upper part. still had to do an underwater quick fix with cord from my spool to reattached the tank to was going side to side and un and down at each motion. By chance this didn't happen in the earlier dive when I was in a wrech penetration.
When I got out of the water, I could finaly understand what was exactly the problem: this plastic part is stitched with the harness material and tear right exactly along the stich line. Just be aware if you have this BCD, it could happen to you too.

Safety Issue!!!I made more than hundred dives with this BDC and was happy with it since my last dive trip. In the middle of a dive, without any warning, the plastic part that hold the tank band on the harness part of the bcd just broke. By chance, the 2 wings strap on the side hold and the wing is also attached to the shoulder bands on the upper part. still had to do an underwater quick fix with cord from my spool to reattached the tank to was going side to side and un and down at each motion. By chance this didn't happen in the earlier dive when I was in a wrech penetration.
When I got out of the water, I could finaly understand what was exactly the problem: this plastic part is stitched with the harness material and tear right exactly along the stich line. Just be aware if you have this BCD, it could happen to you too.
I couldn’t find a BCD warranty statement on the Sherwood site, but I will chime in anyway with some generalized thoughts. In general, BCDs are expected to wear out with time and use. Manufacturer limited lifetime warranty may be more like a car battery warranty, with the value bottoming out after several years. Not only do BCDs wear out, but usually travel BCDs wear out faster - the lighter materials are just not as durable. I don’t know if this failure might have been spotted during an annual service/inspection or not, but any BCD should be periodically examined closely for wear and stress, and much more so for light weight travel versions.

Get this one back to a dealer, so they can see what Sherwood can or will do at this point in the BCD’s life. Note: Sherwood is now solely owned by a Canadian corporate parent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom