Sherwood scuba, SR 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Final report on the SR2,
overall a pretty amazing regulator, smooth and flawless performance from the second stage, very easy breathing that is out performing my D420!

I have a hI pitch sound coming from the first stage, it seemed to come on after several dives, I reset the environmental seal with the reg pressurized and it’s better, mostly happened between 2000 and 3000 psi tank pressure, I can only hear it under water. I’m thinking it may be an interaction between the pressure transmitter against the piston head, my dilemma, send it in for a service and see if they correct it (it’s was bought new from a dealer) or open it up myself?.
Why not try a 6" HP hose first for your transmitter?

Have you solved this sort of thing or heard of that as a fix? I hadn’t thought about that as a cause.
I run a 6" hose on my Atomic so that is why I mentioned it..I have had no issues. If you think there is some kind of interference I guess you can just take off your transmitter and use a mechanical SPG and see if you still hear the noises. I would do a process of elimination. Down side is you only hear it underwater...was your IP affected? Can you remove all the hoses but the second stage and add one hose at a time watching the IP gauge to see what the issue is? I would think if there is piston interference you would have IP affected???

I run a 6" hose on my Atomic so that is why I mentioned it..I have had no issues. If you think there is some kind of interference I guess you can just take off your transmitter and use a mechanical SPG and see if you still hear the noises. I would do a process of elimination. Down side is you only hear it underwater...was your IP affected? Can you remove all the hoses but the second stage and add one hose at a time watching the IP gauge to see what the issue is? I would think if there is piston interference you would have IP affected???
No change in IP, sound only comes with very very slow flow, breathing barely at all, I’ve tried hoses on transmitters and find it to be a pain in the rear, a solution I would accept but not one I hope for. An SR 1 doesn’t do this and it’s pretty much exactly the same reg. It will be a few weeks before I have a chance to dive again unless my pool has warmed up while I was gone.

Final report on the SR2,
overall a pretty amazing regulator, smooth and flawless performance from the second stage, very easy breathing that is out performing my D420!
Wow, outperforming the D420? I am still comparing D-series with conventional regs (S620ti, Atomic), and my suspicion is that a well implemented venturi effect can make standard designs shine.

I am so much on the fence on getting an SR2 second stage. I already have the firsts...

Attachments

• 20130620_130848.jpg
    20130620_130848.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 54
Thanks! So this could essentially be an "Atomic with adjustable venturi"... Except of course venturi and cracking adjuster are combined, and, well, no titanium...

At the airport, spotty internet.
The part to the right of the case in Robs pic (#15 in the drawing I think) is the flow interrupter to control free flow, in my opinion it sits a bit to far off the barrel, I like my regs to trip into positive flow when I pull hard, George like this too, I feel this part is overly effective in free flow control and prevents that, I feel it sits a touch to far off of the barrel. On the other end of this desire is the reality that it moves enough air on demand they it is just like sitting and pulling in a breath as deeply and quickly as I can, no less than normal breathing just no bump . I’m going to order some spares and see if I can modify it but a remarkable regulator as is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom