Sherwood Rona Mask???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Scotty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Any reviews? It won 2009 Testers Choice at ScubaDiving.com - but I can't find much else about it and it's not available locally.

Is the Rona lower volume than the Atomic Frameless? They allude to the glass being closer to the eye which makes me think maybe it is - but I can't check. I love the frameless design, but equally love the ultra low volume next to eye design like the AquaLung MicroMask.

I'm basically looking for the lowest volume frameless mask with very large (e.g. 85° horizontal 75° vertical) field of view. I wonder if the Rona is that mask... If not then which mask?

-Scotty

Last edited:
Hi Scotty,

I've got an Atomic Frameless but nearly went with the Sherwood Rona. I was also considering the Oceanic Shadow and the very similar looking Sherwood Mako.

There's no LDS where I live that stocked the AF, so I bought this mask without being able to try it on from LeisurePro. Luckily, everything worked out and I'm very happy with my AF.

I've only tried the Rona in the LDS, but I can say this compared to the Frameless:
- Field of view: Very similar. AF is just a touch better if you look upwards towards the corners of the mask (doesn't have the "kink" at the top sides that the Rona has).
- Volume of both masks is very similar. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference clearing either mask underwater I think. Both nowhere near as low volume as the Micromask though.
- Skirt: AF has a slightly softer silicone skirt compared to Rona. Both nowhere near as soft as the Mares Liquidskin material.
- Fit: I have an average sized head and most masks fit my head and seal well. No problems with either mask. If you have a narrower head, the AF Midi and Oceanic Mini Shadow might be a better bet.
- Straps: Typical mask strap design on both. Difficult to adjust on the back of your head with gloves on. I'm planning on replacing my strap with a velcro slap strap soon.
- Construction and material quality: AF wins here. It also comes with a nice mask case, although I would prefer a regular case and cheaper price!

One key issue:
- both the Rona and Frameless don't have nose pockets that suit Asian people (I'm Chinese). Both masks seal on my face very well but the nose pocket is an issue. I have a typical Asian nose, but I can't squeeze my nostrils easily in either mask. To put my nose in a position in the nose pocket where I can squeeze it easily means the masks end up too high on my face, which kills the downward viewing angle. I have to do more like a push on my nostrils to equalise.

I hope some of this information helps. The Rona is great value if you can get it at LeisurePro's price (here in Oz, it's AU$90) and I'll probably end up getting one as a backup mask. I went with the AF in the end because of existing reviews and diver recommendations, and now I'm part of the AF fan club.

If you have any other questions, let me know. :)

Cheers,
JP

Thanks Harakiri,

That actually helps a lot. My nose is also quite small and some masks won't work even though they seal well. Unfortunately neither the SR or the AF are available at an LDS... so now I'll just have to contemplate before making the jump online. A little nicer vs. a little cheaper... hmmm...

-Scotty

Scotty you ask the tricky questions! I can only say the SR *feels* heavier. The AF seals better on my face (likely due to the nicer silicone), and this might be why it feels lighter. The weight difference between most of the low-volume frameless masks would be very minimal.

If you can try out an Oceanic Shadow somewhere, this has a similar fit to the SR.

Just to add a bit more info regarding the nose pocket. For me, the SR has a better nose pocket compared to AF in that I can pinch my nose with less difficulty. But it's still more of a "downward press squeeze" rather than a proper "left side, right side pinch". I don't have a small nose, but my nose still sits very high in both nose pockets if I position my mask for the best downward view. Both masks are designed for tall noses.

I think if you have a high nose bridge you won't have a problem with pinching your nose with either mask. But like me, you'll probably have to compromise with the nose fit if you want the great field of view that these masks provide.

Cheers,
JP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom