Sherwood regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seedy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am getting back into diving after a while. I used to own a sherwood magnum 2.
I was thinking of getting a new one or the SR-1 (I think its called) Any opinions
welcomed. I am open to other manufacturers, there are so many how can you decide....

The Magnum is the less expensive side of Sherwood's line while the SR-1 is their top of the line.
Depending on the diving you do you may also want to check their former top of the line the Maximus it's considered a solid cold water performer as is the Blizzard.

You can't beat a Sherwood. Nor can you beat one up. They are the most bulletproof regs I've ever seen. They may not breathe too easily, but they sure can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'...

Regarding the SR-1 DON'T DO IT!! YOU ARE A YOUNG GENDER NOT SPECIFIED WITH SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR!!

Not quite that bad but close. They have had soem major teething problems with them and are on thr 3rd or 4th redesign to try to resolve them. I'd wait a couple years then be sure you get a new production model.

Look at the Aqua Lung Titan LX, or Legend. I also like the Apex line.

I love my Sherwood Oasis, it breathes well in shallow and deep water, and it's great in New England (NOT ice or super cold applications) and is amazing in warm water, where it prevents cotton mouth.

The bubbles don't get in my face because of the special exhaust Sherwood uses, which is another bonus. Also, as somebody else said, it's a tough cookie. I might be the clumsiest guy on this board, and I haven't broken it yet :)

Welcome to the board Seedy,

Many dive shops use Sherwood regulators as their rentals. Easy to service, easy to get parts, holds up well as to service life. As DA said above, avoid the SR-1 for now. I agree with RAWalker, consider the Maximus. This was my first regulator and my daughter now dives it.
I've never had a problem with it. Good luck with your choice.

I think basing your purchase on the type of diving you are going to be doing is probably the place to start. There is no sense in getting a reg set with features you'll never need. IF you like Sherwood gear though, the Maximus is a decent dual purpose reg set. It is basically a combo between the Oasis and Blizzard. It might not be the most cutting edge of technology reg set, but it works reliably and to me that is what counts from ANY reg set. I have a Maximus and I find that the 360 degree swivel and under arm hose greatly reduce jaw fatigue on long dives.

As for the Sherwood SR-1... even though I love my Sherwood reg sets... I don't trust the SR-1 yet. In my mind, it hasn't paid it's dues and hasn't kept it's promises.( kinda like most politicians I know of...you know how much most people trust them...) As was stated previously, they have had some design issues. I don't like nor do I tolerate equipment with issues. I would recommend waiting a bit before jumping on the SR-1 bandwagon.

All the best and safe diving!
CW

I think basing your purchase on the type of diving you are going to be doing is probably the place to start. There is no sense in getting a reg set with features you'll never need. IF you like Sherwood gear though, the Maximus is a decent dual purpose reg set. It is basically a combo between the Oasis and Blizzard. It might not be the most cutting edge of technology reg set, but it works reliably and to me that is what counts from ANY reg set. I have a Maximus and I find that the 360 degree swivel and under arm hose greatly reduce jaw fatigue on long dives.

As for the Sherwood SR-1... even though I love my Sherwood reg sets... I don't trust the SR-1 yet. In my mind, it hasn't paid it's dues and hasn't kept it's promises.( kinda like most politicians I know of...you know how much most people trust them...) As was stated previously, they have had some design issues. I don't like nor do I tolerate equipment with issues. I would recommend waiting a bit before jumping on the SR-1 bandwagon.

All the best and safe diving!
CW

There have been many posts now of problems with the SR-1 and the Sherwood response does not inspire confidence. If I were buying a regulator now I'd go with one of the Atomics.

Adam

I have a magnum, and I am very happy with it. I am thinking about getting a new set of regs, and will very seriously consider a higher-level sherwood. I've never had in water colder than 46F (~8C), nor deeper than 80-something feet, so it hasn't been pushed all that hard. Kinda distressing to hear that the SR-1 isn't all that great though... not that I was really thinking of going right to the top of the line anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom