Which regulator would you buy?

• Older model Oasis

• 2016 model Oasis (for $135 more)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G B

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Apologies if it has been covered somewhere else, but I couldn't find anything in my searches here or on Google. My question is what exactly are the differences between the older Oasis and the newer Oasis Pro (2016) and do you think it's worth an extra $135 to get the newer model? From my research it seems like there are hardly any practical/performance differences at all. Thanks!

I have an Oasis from around 1990 and it is one of my favorite regs. The second is super easy to remove the diaphragm cover for cleaning and the rest of the reg is easy to service.
As far as I know not much has changed on the Oasis other than the cosmetics. You could also get a Blizzard. It is the same as the Oasis but with an additional heat sink for cold water. If the geat sink is removed it is identical to the Oasis. At least the older ones were.

the other question that I have for you now, is why that regulator? I personally wouldn't pay that much for a newer model, so I voted for the old one, but what has made you choose this regulator?

Reactions: G B
Reliable, durable, easy to service myself or get serviced by a shop and the performance is more than adequate for recreational diving.

I chose this type of regulator because the last couple of times I went diving down south I had some very uncomfortable dry mouth. I was very well hydrated throughout the day and drank water between dives but that didn't seem to help. Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely leaning towards the older model, and the blizzard sounds like a good way to go too but I typically try to avoid cold water at all costs.

I chose this type of regulator because the last couple of times I went diving down south I had some very uncomfortable dry mouth. I was very well hydrated throughout the day and drank water between dives but that didn't seem to help. Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely leaning towards the older model, and the blizzard sounds like a good way to go too but I typically try to avoid cold water at all costs.

what makes you think that this regulator will fix the dry mouth? And what "type of regulator" do you classify this as?

fwiw I think the sherwood dry piston is a brilliant design and can't wait until the patent expires so other companies can take advantage of it, but I'm very skeptical of their vane nonsense inside the second stage. Hard candies or all metal second stages work better ime

Last edited:
To be honest I still get cotton mouth with my Oasis but it isn't as bad as if I was using a non Oasis reg.

The condensation vanes don't have the surface area of a larger all metal 2nd. Not sure if being directly in the airstream vs. on the 'walls' makes a functional difference.

FWIW I have a dive buddy with the dry mouth problem. Bad enough for him he bought the Apollo rehydration system. I loaned him an all metal Conshelf 2nd and he seemed to think that did OK.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom