Sherwood Genesis HP120 fails hydro after only 10 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3 once bubbled...
Just wait for the USN to drop the classified rating on the "Artificial Gill". Those types of things have a way of showing up in stores within weeks of being declassified.:wink:

I always take the time to shoot the bull whenever I stop at my hydro guy, he was telling me about a batch of condemned bottles were being sold where the culprits had welded the drill holes shut & painted the things.
Needless to say they didn't pass hydro & there were several irate customers when they found out.

BTW, "garden gongs" are selling out here for way more than the scuba bottle is worth.

GARDEN GONGS..I couldn't think of the name. Yeah, there cooool and I didn't realize they were worth that much.

I can't believe someone has so little respect for life that they welding those tanks and painted over them. In my opinion that should be attemtped homicide!

I know the Sherwood tanks now are Asahi's but not for sure what they were 10 yrs. ago.

Yes, it was a PST cylinder, and the warranty is for five years. Unfortunately, PST does not warranty a cylinder that failed hydro when the retester does not follow the spec for retesting the cylinder. This is commonly the case, and the retester ir responsible for failing the cylinder, if indeed they did not follow the spec.

Unfortunately, it is tough to prove that...

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
The companies that have hydro'ed my tanks tell me that you should never use a tank for more than 10 yrs. without question. Even if the passes Hydro 6 times over 30 yrs.
If it passes hydro and viz, there's nothing wrong with the tank.
The only risk is from SLC, which only occurs in aluminum cylinders. Current aluminum cylinders over 10 years old should not be used. Currently produced aluminum cylinders have shown no compelling evidence of SLC, but it is still possible. For $10 a year, I'd replace any aluminum cylinder when it needs the second hydro.

Feel free to use a steel tank as long as it passes. If it's going to fail, it's going to fail in the hydro tank.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

If it passes hydro and viz, there's nothing wrong with the tank.
The only risk is from SLC, which only occurs in aluminum cylinders. Current aluminum cylinders over 10 years old should not be used. Currently produced aluminum cylinders have shown no compelling evidence of SLC, but it is still possible. For $10 a year, I'd replace any aluminum cylinder when it needs the second hydro.

Feel free to use a steel tank as long as it passes. If it's going to fail, it's going to fail in the hydro tank.

I agree with the aluminum tank comment. Like I said before..I hate all tanks. I wish there was another way. Steel tanks and Aluminum tanks have both blown up in shops. The difference between the two when they explode is that the aluminum will put out shards of aluminum everwhere and the steel will just blow. At least you have a chance of survival if the steel tank blows.

GENESIS, which markets Asahi tanks, is not associated with Sherwood. Sherwood's old Genesis line of tanks were mfgt by PST.

I don't understand what went on there. My Sherwood 120 passed it's first hydro with flying colors. I would stay on it. Good luck.
Norm

pescador775 once bubbled...
GENESIS, which markets Asahi tanks, is not associated with Sherwood. Sherwood's old Genesis line of tanks were mfgt by PST.

Not really. In NE and other parts of the US, the same company distributes both Sherwood and Genesis. i.e.-- Ray Murray in NE, distributes Sherwood, Genesis, and Akona.

So, your post is not 100% accurate.

DRBILL

i believe you are right as far as the different proceedure goes. i read it some time back when reserching my pre faber purchase. i cant recall specifics but something about expansion allowances or temperature conditions. i do think that it was in a dot regulation. i found it because of the common practice of overfilling tanks. ie my faber's are rated at 2400 in the us and are rated to much higher preasures overseas. it cited the conservitave us positions and had links for the dot regs that supported it. it had proceedures for various manufacturers of tanks. i think it was something about tank wall thickness variations from one brand to another and its associated failure points for hydro. i think i would contact the manufacturer and get the reference for testing that cylendar and compare with the hydro'ers preceedures.

here is one link i found i am sure there are more, it looks like this is a special procedure. hope this helps

http://www.pstscuba.com/tech.htm

KWS

KWS once bubbled...
DRBILL

i believe you are right as far as the different proceedure goes.

i think i would contact the manufacturer and get the reference for testing that cylendar and compare with the hydro'ers preceedures.

KWS

Unfortunately, Hydro stations are required to test by the government standards or loose thier certification and be liable for everything. These standards are in a reference document which may refer to CSA standards which may refer to manufacturer standards. There are situations where a hydro tester will be required to test to a higher standard or using a different method than the customer may like.

So check that the hydro station is following gov procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom