Sherwood Genesis HP120 fails hydro after only 10 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a tank fails hydro is it junk, or can you try to get it certified for a lower pressure?

If a tank fails a hydro the tester is supposed to stamp over the DOT numbers and render the tank unable to hold air pressure. This means chop saw or a hole drilled in the tank.

Having it recertified for a lower pressure is not an option.

The tank cannot be recertified in any way shape or form if it fails.

However, the shop is not allowed to damage the tank - by drilling holes or destroying the threads. Remember, the tank is your property, and failing hydro only means the tank is no longer legal for commerce, not that it is illegal to use. Also, if one believed the tank had been improperly condemned, and wanted to take action against the shop, one would need to be able to have it retested.

The only allowed methods of condemning are by obliterating the markings, or stamping it "condemned". Some shops get around this by having the customer sign a consent slip before testing that allows the shop to disable the tank.

Sounds like Dr. Bill got a fair shake from the shop so that's pretty much the end of the story. If it was me, I'd still be tempted to see if PST wanted to take a look at the tank, since it failed so soon.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
If a tank fails a hydro the tester is supposed to stamp over the DOT numbers and render the tank unable to hold air pressure. This means chop saw or a hole drilled in the tank.

Waterlover once bubbled...
Dr. Bill,
Check out the link esmiami posted. Your tank was manufactured by PST. They do have a high failure rate if the test is not done correctly. As far as not using tanks more than 10 years old that is pure BS from someone trying to sell more tanks. I have O2 tanks that were made in the 40's that still get regular use. Get it retested if the shop didn't damage the markings when they say it failed. Good Luck

I own tanks from the 70's and my pony is from 1959. What I said is a quote from the Hydro guys. You can kiss my A** for thinking I was lieing to sale more tanks. Good luck with 60 yr. old tanks and your adventures!

By the way, to all the divers out there, using 60 yr. old tanks is not recomended or endorsed by the majority of dive professionals and people with common sense on this planet.

Bob3 once bubbled...
Got the name of the outfit that told you that?
I'd like to make sure to avoid bandits that try to pile it that high/or deep, as the case may be.
I have a 1955 USD bottle that has always returned to original volume after testing, & I mean 100% original volume. That's better than a lot of brand spanking new bottles.

Maybe they were talking about Alumnibombs. :wink:

Yeah, it was Koorsen. They have offices and shops all over the country so you shouldn't have any problem finding them. The techs from Koorsen said they don't recomend using a tank for more than ten yrs. I own tanks from the 70's and my pony is from 1959.

But I hate filling those tanks! The only part of this job I hate are the SCUBA cylinders. knowing that those things are potentional bombs....need I say more. I fill tanks everyday when I'm healthy and every time I think damn, why SCUBA tanks, why can't we come up with something better. I mean we had a man on the moon 34 yrs. ago. Surely we can come up with something better.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

There is not an OSHA code or DOT regulation requiring this. This information is totally wrong or to quote others so kindly (BULL****).

Furthermore it is illegal to damage property without the owners permission by drilling holes into it.

However, if a tank fails hydro, use commong sense. Why on earth would you want to have it filled and possibly kill someone or yourself. I've had several alum. tanks fail hydros and as soon as I get back to the shop with them, I drill a hole in it and turn it into a nice shop prop. If it's not a tank I own, I call the owner, explain the situation and with their permission, I drill a nice hole thru the tank. I've yet to have anyone not let me drill a hole into their tank after a hydro fail.

I'm loving this. Diving world is so rife with weird beliefs and legends, like the 'drilling the tank' thing. Thanks hacker, et al for handling this stuff.

pescador775 once bubbled...
I'm loving this. Diving world is so rife with weird beliefs and legends, like the 'drilling the tank' thing. Thanks hacker, et al for handling this stuff.

Yeah, the drilling of the tank is just what a dive shop may do. Tanks can make unbrella holders, nice props for students, very nice japanese type of gong Bell, door props during a windy day, and all other kinds of cool stuff when they've failed hydro.

I've never once been upset when a tank fails hydro. I feel so fortunete they caught it. Money should absolutely NEVER be an issue when it comes to tank safety. If it is, then you're in the wrong sport.

I mean we had a man on the moon 34 yrs. ago. Surely we can come up with something better.
Just wait for the USN to drop the classified rating on the "Artificial Gill". Those types of things have a way of showing up in stores within weeks of being declassified.:wink:

I always take the time to shoot the bull whenever I stop at my hydro guy, he was telling me about a batch of condemned bottles were being sold where the culprits had welded the drill holes shut & painted the things.
Needless to say they didn't pass hydro & there were several irate customers when they found out.

BTW, "garden gongs" are selling out here for way more than the scuba bottle is worth.

Did we ever figure out if these were Pressesd Steel cylinders or not? If they were, I know PST has some kind of warranty, since the cylinders were rounded out and everything done right before the test, perhaps the warranty will kick in?

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom