Sherwood Genesis HP 80 model 6300 Valve Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"you need to find a new dive shop if they didn't warn you about needing 300 bar din for a 7/8 unf 3500 psi steel tank"
Yup as stated in original post, he was talking 1/2" tapered threads (NPT) with an O-ring for replacement just a day after taking it apart and doing a VIP.
Don't intend to be in the shop when he is filling tanks.

Interesting approach to selling tanks. What part of Cali are you in?
Well I paid something like $30 shipping to get the tank. Then paid another $20 or so to get a VIP/fill, finding my yoke reg would not fit over the valve such that a yoke insert would not fit. On the advice of the shop owner, who said it was 3/4 thread (because he didn't realize that 3/4 pipe thread is not 3/4" and his DIN/yoke valve was much bigger). So I ordered a 3/4 valve from ebay and of course it was way too big. Then he said, as I originally posted, that the tank required 1/2" tapered pipe thread with an O-ring. At that point it became obvious that he had no idea what he was talking about since tapered pipe doesn't / can't take an O-ring. Thus I had to send the valve back for a refund, but didn't have the option to send the tank back, esp. since for me to ship it it would have been about $50.
Thus being extremely frustrated I decided to post here in case anybody knew what thread the tank actually used. I also verified from a dive shop that it was 7/16 fine BOLT thread. So I endeavored to find a 7/16 thread valve with a yoke/DIN insert for several days, including posting to this thread, and found they do not exist. All of my regs - main and pony's, are setup for yoke, and they are calypso and dacor, and I tried for several more days to find a DIN adapter for them. Only the higher end titan's have DIN adapters, so I couldn't even adapt a reg to fit the tank.
So it has been a couple weeks now of complete dead ends and out of frustration decided to just sell the tank and buy one that had a yoke/DIN adapter built into the valve.

@waytoodeep this tank is really stressing you out. Take a few deep breaths and chill.

The reason I said it was an interesting approach to selling tanks is because it’s not very cost effective. Amazon is going to take 30% of your money and you’re probably going to lose $10-20 on shipping.

The reason I asked what part of Cali you’re in is because I might try to buy it if you’re nearby.

Back
Top Bottom