Sherwood Genesis HP 80 model 6300 Valve Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waytoodeep

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought an HP 80 sherwood genesis tank with a 6300 valve. The valve is only DIN but my regs are yoke so ordered a 3/4 straight thread valve with yoke insert. per my dive shop. The thread is way too big, it is 1/2" thread but the question remains, and a VERY important question, as to whether the tank accepts straight or tapered thread. The sherwood site only references 3/4 threads now so it must be vintage.

I don't trust the dive shop any longer as he said the 1/2" tapered pipe still needs an O-ring, not likely, and he said the tank was PST despite the huge sherwood logo.

Does anyone know if it is tapered pipe or straight?

Attached photos.

Thanks!
valve.jpg
tank.jpg

Pressed Steel Tank is the original manufacturer of the tank. Their tanks were sold under Sherwood, US Divers, and Genesis brands. you will have to convert your regs to DIN as 3500 psi 7/8 unf tanks are designed to use 300 bar din valves which cannot accept a yoke insert.

As others have stated, the only “legal” valves for that tank will be 300bar DIN.

These tanks were made as recently as 1996, so not quite vintage.

It’s not a matter of “legal”, it a matter of finding valves that will fit the tank
He already has a valve that fits the tank. What he wants is a DIN/Yoke convertible valve for his 3500psi 7/8 neck tank.

He cannot buy such a valve because no one sells them because that would violate regulations.

Someone could always machine a 3/4 valve into a 7/8 valve, but that’s not exactly “legal”

He already has a valve that fits the tank. What he wants is a DIN/Yoke convertible valve for his 3500psi 7/8 neck tank.

He cannot buy such a valve because no one sells them because that would violate regulations.

Can you post a reference to these regulations? And what is the penalty if you violate these regulations?

It seems more about industry standards when these tanks were made 22+ years ago.
Modern thermos valves are rated to 3440, so the yoke reg can certainly handle 3500psi. And I would feel pretty confident saying many 3440 tanks leave the fill station at 3500, and are then connnected to a yoke valve. The problem is THIS tank has a non standard thread and the valves manufactured and available for it won’t accept yoke.

To the op,
If you like the tank and the valve is working just get a conversion kit for your reg. In a few minutes you can make your reg whatever you like. I have 2 such HP tanks, a little bigger than yours and I love them.

Thank you all for the information. The entertaining thing about this is the dive shop uses a whip with a yoke on it, and they filled the tank with a swivel DIN adapter to 3500 psi.
I have several octos and a spare first stage. Most are aqualung calypso about 10 or 12 years old. A DIN adapter on one would work but then it would be incompatible with the two pony's. I only saw one online for titan, might not fit calypso?? and they are $100.
Machining 7/8 threads might work but if they needed to be chrome plated it would require a hydrogen bakeout.
The swivel adapter the dive shop used would work, leisurepro has one rated for 300 bar, chrome plated brass, but wondering if that would be diveable?

DINadapter.jpg

Thank you all for the information. The entertaining thing about this is the dive shop uses a whip with a yoke on it, and they filled the tank with a swivel DIN adapter to 3500 psi.
I have several octos and a spare first stage. Most are aqualung calypso about 10 or 12 years old. A DIN adapter on one would work but then it would be incompatible with the two pony's. I only saw one online for titan, might not fit calypso?? and they are $100.
Machining 7/8 threads might work but if they needed to be chrome plated it would require a hydrogen bakeout.
The swivel adapter the dive shop used would work, leisurepro has one rated for 300 bar, chrome plated brass, but wondering if that would be diveable?

View attachment 476448
That is to fill the tank and not intended to use to dive..I suggest you convert the spare 1st stage to DIN, not use an adapter, save the yoke and you can change it back in about 5 minutes when needed.

My regs are aqualung calypso and don't think there are any DIN adapters available, only for titan.

Thus decided to just sell the tank on amazon and get a 3442 model (this tank is rated 3500).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom