Sherwood Avid BC Tank Strap Brackets Failed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone else experienced BOTH of their Avid bc tank strap 'brackets' (hard plastic composition material) making a clean and sudden break from the back of vest? Both of mine broke this weekend as I was entering water for a shore dive. Tank swung to side pulling 2nd stage from my mouth. I was on surface thankfully but the strap breaks are a serious issue. Looks as though the material failed. I only have 178 dives on this bc. I believe its a 2012 or thereabouts model.
I am in the military and was given a brand new sherwood Avid bcd manufacturer I believe 2010. When it was sent to ,e my military friend sent it in a plastic bag with one layer of bubble wrap and in a box , so I did not have any Info where he brought it or as NY of the box paperwork. He gave it to in Oct 2021. Once the January 2022 I went diving yet did not use the bcd , I went also in June to dive did use the bcd , used my 17 year mares size small but it fit tight, inaugust I took the Sherwood with me , my dive buddy stated to me oh you have a new bcd , I told him yes it's new but old because the model was from 2010. On my second dive after exiting the water onto boat I felt the top part of the bcd go sideways , yes the plastics strap holder broke . I contacted Sherwood they responded because I did register the bcd n did not have the purchase receipt that they would not replace it, then I was told to go to local shop which I told them that the shop is customer friendly to some people but not to all people I hesitated but took it . At the shop they can clearly notice that that design is not only bad but that the material used are detected. They just told me that they would give e me 20 percent off o another Sherwood avid newer model , I looked at it n it's the same deflected design. I would never buy w y of their products ever again and suggest that to all other divers if a company has been aware of this and dont stand by their product why should you support that company with your attention or hard earn money. Even at the dive shop they said that is common thing on Sherwood bcd. ... dont buy Sherwood...

Fixed my avid using 0.85 cent sheet of aluminum, cut out oval holes to match straps and then sliced the bc backplate to match and placed aluminum backplate up against bc backplate and threaded straps through holes. Works like a charm.
Can you post some other photos from the back where the tank would be , and has it worked for a long ti e see once you fixed it. .

Back
Top Bottom