Sherwood AVID BCD - toast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Finally made it to a local quarry for a couple dives this weekend, after almost a year dry.

Before going, I hooked up my Sherwood AVID bcd to make sure there were no leaks, etc. Seemed fine.

After the 2nd dive, I go to remove it from the tank, and the plastic pieces that the cam bands thread through completely disintegrate and fall off. Both of them!

My assessment is that this is not repairable. But if anyone has any suggestions, let me know. This is an original Avid - 10 or 12 years old. It's seen a lot of miles. I've replaced several pieces already.

I did another kind of search as I'm typing this.

Sherwood Avid BC Tank Strap Brackets Failed

Looks like it's done.

If anyone wants the pieces I can salvage, which would be a relatively new low pressure inflator hose unit, some really beat-up pockets, the 2 cam bands, and some dump valve covers, let me know. I can send them for shipping costs only.

I've been wanting a BPW setup. Guess this is a sign.

avid-1.jpg avid-2.jpg avid-3.jpg

I'm not familiar with the Avid, but if the 2 square holes for the broke brackets go all the way through the back panel, you could go diy hybrid and make a back plate to go between you and the bcd. A simple narrow plate with 4 slots for the cam bands would be invisible when worn, and stronger than the original design from the look of it.
My kids and I use diy BPW's that I made, and the plates are cut from $5 cutting boards from big lots.... Work like a champ.
Respectfully,
James

We've seen this a number of times with Sherwood BC's of that vintage. Not just the avid. The plastic seems to be absolute garbage that was used. If ti's not that, it's the inflator dumps pulling out of the shoulder attachment point.

Feel a bit silly reviving a 3 year old thread but this just happened to my girlfriend after a dive. Top cam band snapped completely off. When I took it in this weekend the local dive shop said that typically Sherwood will offer a deep discount on a new replacement BCD after they get some pictures of the damage.

I will update as we hear more.

Heard back from dive shop yesterday. Sherwood offered $250 against a new Avid BC. Not quite as much as I was hoping but ultimately pretty fair for equipment that is at this point a generation or two old. I haven't heard about this issue being a problem on newer Sherwood gear so I am going to go for it, but if there are any new developments I will report back.

I've repaired a couple of BCDs with a similar failure. The last one was a Sherwood. I replaced the plastic cam band with a stainless steel plate screwed to the bladder.
Only if the cordura and flanges are OK you should make this repair.
Here some pics :

Attachments

• IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0740.JPG
    IMG_0740.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 53
Sherwood sold me a new Avid at a VERY MUCH reduced price a few years ago. After about 500 dives the new backpack seems to be better than the old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom