Sherwood Avid tank band breaks loose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During recent Cozumel trip, one day I noticed my Sherwood Avid's top tank strap attachment to the BCD, a rectangular plastic piece, was partly split from the BCD. Hoped it'd make it the remainder of the trip. Nope. It subsequently broke off, and the tank strap came off. This was on the boat. Finished the dive day relying on the lower tank band, and the strap that you can put around the tank neck (not as stable).

With that tank strap broken off, the 'cushion' or whatever you call it against my back tended to fall forward.

I'm aware Sherwood's been getting bad press (such as in Undercurrent) about tank straps coming off. I liked my Avid, and I'm sorry it came to this, but I plan to get a different brand next time. Thinking maybe Scuba Pro Hydros Pro...

As I told my wife later, at least now I think I know what I want for Christmas...

IMG_2765_zpsqr383pzv.jpg

IMG_2766_zps2tekqi6h.jpg

IMG_2768_zpsjay2ffmh.jpg

Granted if enough thousands of product sell, a few will break, so one anecdotal case doesn't mean much...but then again, that's what I thought about other's reports before it happened to me. I bought this 2XL Sherwood Avid BCD with Sherwood Gemini Air2 new on 3-5-09, if that's useful to know.

So, reported for your consideration.

Richard.

P.S.: And for the 1st time since some OW training dives, I dove a weight belt. Despite my miserable memories of them, it actually worked pretty well...as long as I girted it up too tight to slip off my butt.

P.S. #2: Undercurrent Sept. 2018 article, Problems with Sherwood Avid BCs Still Continue. It explains the concern better than I can.

I also have a Sherwood Avid BC. I am dreading the day that this happens. I enjoy my Avid but have concerns that it should happen during a dive. As reported, it could be a safety issue unless you have knowledge of the problem and are prepared to take the appropriate action. Too bad that there is not a simple solution that could take care of this problem. I am now looking for an alternative BCD and I am thinking about going BPW configuration for it simplicity and being able to change configurations. I thought to try it out at a local pool through my LDS. It is to bad that it has to come to this. I really like my Sherwood Avid but I cannot trust it anymore.

P.S. I really enjoyed your write up about Cozumel. You sound like a down to earth diver and I hope that we cross paths one day and enjoy some dives. Keep blowing bubbles and maybe something good will come out of sharing this post.

Send it back to the company? Maybe they’ll repair for free?

Judging from the Undercurrent article, if I heard back, it'd probably be over $400 for a trade-in, and then I'd still be diving a Sherwood BCD. I wasn't in the market for a new BCD, but I think I'm going to take this 'opportunity' (now there's a silver-lining mentality!) to 'jump ship.'

Richard.

Looks like a case of a product not being suitable for the purpose it was designed for. Since it is also a significant safety issue I would think somebody might make a case for a class action.

I had the same thing happen to mine, and Sherwood was of no help. I have found a simple and effective solution. You can partially remove the seam on the back pad and then have a talented welder/metal worker take "thin" stainless steel plate approximately 5 in x 13 inches, press in 2 band strips for the straps and place it back in the system. Works great. The final piece of metal placed was buffed totally smooth. Then sew the pad closed again and you are back to full function. The metal fabricator/welder is a good friend of mine and was able to complete it in less than an hour.

Attachments

• sherwood repair 2.jpeg
    sherwood repair 2.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 450
  • sherwood repair 1.jpeg
    sherwood repair 1.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 425
  • sherwood repair 3.jpeg
    sherwood repair 3.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 407
Looks like a case of a product not being suitable for the purpose it was designed for. Since it is also a significant safety issue I would think somebody might make a case for a class action.
I had the same thing happen to mine, and Sherwood was of no help. I have found a simple and effective solution. You can partially remove the seam on the back pad and then have a talented welder/metal worker take "thin" stainless steel plate approximately 5 in x 13 inches, press in 2 band strips for the straps and place it back in the system. Works great. The final piece of metal placed was buffed totally smooth. Then sew the pad closed again and you are back to full function. The metal fabricator/welder is a good friend of mine and was able to complete it in less than an hour.

Attached Files:

During recent Cozumel trip, one day I noticed my Sherwood Avid's top tank strap attachment to the BCD, a rectangular plastic piece, was partly split from the BCD. Hoped it'd make it the remainder of the trip. Nope. It subsequently broke off, and the tank strap came off. This was on the boat. Finished the dive day relying on the lower tank band, and the strap that you can put around the tank neck (not as stable).

With that tank strap broken off, the 'cushion' or whatever you call it against my back tended to fall forward.

I'm aware Sherwood's been getting bad press (such as in Undercurrent) about tank straps coming off. I liked my Avid, and I'm sorry it came to this, but I plan to get a different brand next time. Thinking maybe Scuba Pro Hydros Pro...

As I told my wife later, at least now I think I know what I want for Christmas...

View attachment 480712

View attachment 480713

View attachment 480714

Granted if enough thousands of product sell, a few will break, so one anecdotal case doesn't mean much...but then again, that's what I thought about other's reports before it happened to me. I bought this 2XL Sherwood Avid BCD with Sherwood Gemini Air2 new on 3-5-09, if that's useful to know.

So, reported for your consideration.

Richard.

P.S.: And for the 1st time since some OW training dives, I dove a weight belt. Despite my miserable memories of them, it actually worked pretty well...as long as I girted it up too tight to slip off my butt.

P.S. #2: Undercurrent Sept. 2018 article, Problems with Sherwood Avid BCs Still Continue. It explains the concern better than I can.

Perfect time to ditch the poodle jacket and go to a BP/W

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom