Sherwood 4000 SPG leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dp_stickney

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All - I have a 'classic' Sherwood SPG in a rubber console that is leaking pretty good. Are the swivels pretty universal? Where is the best place to find replacement swivels?

Thank you!

David

1716807668882.png

I don’t know about Sherwood, but If it is leaking at the “swivel”, it is usually the spool that needs to be replaced. I once replaced an o-ring on the spool. It was kind of PITA. New spool is $1.50 at DGX or local shop.

All - I have a 'classic' Sherwood SPG in a rubber console that is leaking pretty good. Are the swivels pretty universal? Where is the best place to find replacement swivels?

Thank you!

David

View attachment 843036

You will need to remove the spg from the HP hose and see what type of spool it uses. Spools are available at most dive shops or Piranha Dive or DGX online. It probably uses this one:

That is a plastic body spg. Yes, it is serviceable, just replace the spool with the correct type, however, I would junk it and get a brass and glass spg due to fragility of the plastic unit.

If the hose is old then replace it as well.

Thanks Ukmc and Nemrod. I got it apart today and found that it is not what I was expecting. There is no traditional swivel/spool. The hose has a rotating barrel affixed with a union to the SPG. I had not seen this configuration.

1716825950563.png

The spool is sticking out of the hose. You removed the gauge inlet.

Try replacing the oring if you can find the right size. 010 maybe?

Still Kicking, correct!

The type of swivel/spool that I'm used to seeing is similar to the one that you referenced. The one that came out is below. It looks like it's had a nice long life. I'm going to give this one a try:

Storm High Pressure Gauge Spool

Hopefully, it will do the trick.

Thanks!

1716855416798.png

For $60 you can have a brand new premium SPG. Out of all the places to save money, this would not be one of them. One aborted boat dive will run you more than that…
Don’t get me wrong, I admire people refurbishing old gear. However, I wouldn’t be chancing it with this one! It is only my personal opinion.

For $60 you can have a brand new premium SPG. Out of all the places to save money, this would not be one of them. One aborted boat dive will run you more than that…
Don’t get me wrong, I admire people refurbishing old gear. However, I wouldn’t be chancing it with this one! It is only my personal opinion.
I agree. A quality brass and glass gauge will save you a heap of trouble in the long run.

Ukmc and Still Kicking,

I do enjoy restoring vintage gear to a useable state. In this case, if I can accomplish that objective for a few dollars and warn the customer that this plastic SPG is not a good long term plan, I believe that we're good. We have plenty of good upgrades to offer that would give the customer equipment peace of mind.

I love this classic SPG and dive with one myself.

I wish someone made a brass/glass SPG with color coded pressure ranges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom