Shelf life of regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No technician here. To me it comes down to the shelf life of O-rings which I have wondered about. Many of my spare/replacement o-rings are older then that regulator.

I would have it inspected. The rubber parts (o-rings, exhaust vent, etc) could be subject to degradation even if you aren't using it.

Even without opening it, a technician can measure the 1st stage to see if there is any "IP creep" that could indicate a problem with O-rings inside the first stage and it's pretty simple matter to take the 2nd stage apart to check if the diaphragm or exhaust valve isn't "falling apart".

That said, if you're planning on buying a reg and letting it stand for 3 years before using it, then I would advise you to buy one closer to the time you need it.

Finally, if it were my reg, I would just have it serviced. That way you know for *sure* that everything is in working order.

That peace of mind is worth money to me.

R..

Servicing a working regulator that is not experiencing any problem has two possible outcomes. You will end up with a regulator that is working just as well as it was or one that now has a problem. The cost is the same. If you want peace of mind, try a wishing well. Better yet, buy a backup set.

According to Parker Bros, oring shelf life is about 5 years for nitrite and over 20 years for viton. As I recall, EPDM is 10 years. I have orings that have been in use for over 20 years that I believe are nitrite. But I have also seen some that turned hard ad brittle.

My first regulator was a high end sportsways model. I got it when I was 13 years old. I used it pretty hard and when I was about 23-24 years old, it started leaking air from the first stage. I do not think it was ever serviced.

The local shop was nice and I was a DM trainee, so they said they would show me how to take it apart and replace the worn out parts. The o-rings were INCREDIBLE, as i recall a few of them were nothing more than greasy, black gooey rings! You could hardly tell they were O-rings. LOL. The reg still worked fine, but it was leaking air.

If a new regulator is kept in a plastic bag and cool and it doesn't leak bubbles and it seems to work and the intermediate pressure is good, I would not be worried about it.

Thanks for the replies. I will check the IP.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I don't really know what the deal is with regulator cleaning. I always go to great lengths to rinse and soak my stuff. EVERY time I bring my stuff in, the guy makes some comment about how I must not be taking care of my gear because of salt crystals or other nastiness. The first time that happened I gave him a big WTF and defended myself. He showed me the nastiness.
How are you soaking them?
I used to get the same line back when I was a good boy and took my regs in every year, or else I was told the earth would open up and I'd go straight down to scuba regulator hell.
What I heard to do was to hook up the reg set on a pony or leave it on the last tank you used and soak it fully hooked up with air on.
I started doing this about the same time I started tinkering and doing my own regs. I haven't seen ANY sign of corrosion since.

I have 2 different answers:
A) if you have no technical / mechanical ability then get them serviced since you cannot judge if they are okay. The reg "should" work afterwards, but make sure you personally verify. Ask for a quick demo in the LDS when you pick them up. Money well spent since you can't know any better. My only reg failures occurred after being serviced. I do not let my LDS do that too me anymore.

B) if you can change oil / replace brake pads, then dive them. They are fine. Orings have a minimum shelf life from 15 to unlimited years (according to parker hannifin) depending upon material. If you have any concern, pop them open and check the orings for brittle / spongy. My 30 year old regs are still on the original second stage diaghram and the original first stage cap seal oring. All in great condition. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

.....According to Parker Bros, oring shelf life is about 5 years for nitrite and over 20 years for viton. As I recall, EPDM is 10 years. I have orings that have been in use for over 20 years that I believe are nitrite. But I have also seen some that turned hard ad brittle.

Shelf life is simply how long it is in good order before being sold. Not how long it lasts.

https://www.oringsusa.com/html/shelf_life.html

5 years is the minimum for any material.

When installed and working they tend to be trouble free items. There are problems if they are not fitted properly (as might be the case if the dive shop isn't really up to the task) in which case they should be replaced routinely (go figure).

Causes of O-Ring Failure - Daemar Inc — O Rings - Seals - Retaining Rings - Bushings - Caplugs - Shim - Keystock

IMHO it is the seats not the O rings that are the most likely issue in (modern) scuba regulators. Routine inspection of the seat (say every 5-10 years) is a worthwhile exercise. You might as well take the opportunity to clean ("service") the reg at the same time and the trivial cost of O rings means they too can be changed. If you let the salt build up then of course it needs cleaning much more frequently, but that will vary from user to user and depend on all sorts of unknown variables, hence the manufacturers' recommended intervals for a worst case scenario.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom