Shearwater transmitter failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jumping in with a Swift OPV failure. Went to prep my wife’s reg set for the upcoming Invasion and greeted by air flowing out of the transmitter. Bizarre as it had worked well last trip, but looking at it the OPV is gone. Worst yet, opened it and had clearly need flooded. :( Have an email into Shearwater to see what options are, but not terribly hopeful.

View attachment 785293

They’ll probably replace it…they have the best customer service in the industry IMO. So have a little bit of hope…

They’ll probably replace it…they have the best customer service in the industry IMO. So have a little bit of hope…
You called it - they certainly earned the praises by RMAing the unit and shipping out a new one under warranty. Glad to already own three DCs, and will add more for the other divers in our family for sure now.

My Swift's OPV failed today after only 3 dives on it. The black plug popped out and was leaking air. Interestingly, I bought two, the one that failed had an earlier serial. It sounds like a production issue on the earlier ones based on the thread here. Divetronix, Shearwater's service provider in Washington, has been stellar and quick to send a replacement.
Just had mine fail after a dive, same way leaking air from that little hole after swapping to second tank. Just got mine in March, only 12 dives. Did you just call shearwater? I lost so much trust on the wireless thing. Keeping my spg which I was about to take off and keep in save-a-dive kit

Just had mine fail after a dive, same way leaking air from that little hole after swapping to second tank. Just got mine in March, only 12 dives. Did you just call shearwater? I lost so much trust on the wireless thing. Keeping my spg which I was about to take off and keep in save-a-dive kit
Having had my transmitter fail, I now dive with both transmitter and SPG.

My Swift OPV failed yesterday. I noticed a new bloop bloop bloop bubble sound. I was diving with @Divin'Papaw, and he had noticed the bubbles coming from my reg, apparently looked like it was from the transmitter. We thought it was a pinched o-ring. On the boat, I could hear a slow leaking sound. After unscrewing it from my regulator and screwing it back in, the hiss was much louder. @Divin'Papaw had a spare o-ring, so we installed that and it was still hissing really bad. I could feel the air coming out and @Divin'Papaw realized it was the OPV. I had a spare transmitter on my pony, so I swapped it for the 2nd dive.

I don't believe it ever flooded and it worked the entire first dive. I'll reach out to Shearwater for warranty support.

I have four of the MH8A transmitters
I also have MH8A transmitters and one Swift, the Swift I had a lot of trouble replacing one little screw after changing a battery, I did not lose it, just had trouble screwing it back in all the way, does not leak, but [could be just me], I don't trust it now and use a MH8A [Aqualung] at half the price, the swift sits in the SAD kit now, still works I am sure, but.....:duck:

My Swift OPV failed yesterday. I noticed a new bloop bloop bloop bubble sound. I was diving with @Divin'Papaw, and he had noticed the bubbles coming from my reg, apparently looked like it was from the transmitter. We thought it was a pinched o-ring. On the boat, I could hear a slow leaking sound. After unscrewing it from my regulator and screwing it back in, the hiss was much louder. @Divin'Papaw had a spare o-ring, so we installed that and it was still hissing really bad. I could feel the air coming out and @Divin'Papaw realized it was the OPV. I had a spare transmitter on my pony, so I swapped it for the 2nd dive.

I don't believe it ever flooded and it worked the entire first dive. I'll reach out to Shearwater for warranty support.
Dang, glad to know it wasn’t an excessive leak underwater. My failure happened after I swapped to my second tank on the boat and I thought **** at least this happened on the boat and not underwater, I thought it would be worse. I was standing in front of my gear looking it over and heard a pop and something hit my arm I was like wth was that and it wasn’t till like 5 minutes later that it started hissing. It was super weird

You can see the bubbles in this picture taken during our safety stop.

1687179554552.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom