Shearwater transmitter failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My Shearwater transmitter failed during my last trip. Com failure showed on both my Perdix and Teric for the entire trip of 30+ dives. From first failure, com was never re-established. Based on my superficial visual inspection of the transmitter, I think there was a part (retaining screw?) that may have rusted through. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

When you opened it up, was there water inside?
Did you change the battery before the trip?
Even if a screw "rusted through" that's still outside the o-ring seal and shouldn't even matter. If a screw rusted through, perhaps it's been a long time since the battery was replaced?

I have a similar problem. It has happened to me 3 or 4 times now.
Sometimes my transmitter simply stops working, and then it resolves itself.
It's not a battery problem or an issue of distance between the transmitter and the Perdix: it seems to be really random if you ask me.
Last time was a couple of weeks ago: I've tried it at home while I was packing and it was working perfectly. Next day it wasn't working.
Than the week after was ok again.

My transmitter is in pristine condition: I've also taken it for a check, but apparently everything it's ok.
Shearwater troubleshoot guidelines tell to check the gold-connections where the battery lays, but mine are perfect.

It has never happened while diving though (and it's not a problem because I always dive with a redundant SPG).

I'm not talking about an intermittent com failure. I'm talking about a complete failure. Once the failure happened, coms was never re-established again for over 30 dives.

When you opened it up, was there water inside?
Did you change the battery before the trip?
Even if a screw "rusted through" that's still outside the o-ring seal and shouldn't even matter. If a screw rusted through, perhaps it's been a long time since the battery was replaced?
1. The battery was replaced to no effect.
2. I had the transmitter connected to a 6 inch HP hose. When I disconnected the Tx from the hose, some brownish water fell out.

Transmitter.jpg

Well, at this point, no harm in unscrewing the battery cap. If there's water inside the case, the transmitter is toast. That is a mounting screw hole that shows in your picture. I wasn't aware that that screw hole that is in your picture communicates with the inside of the case, but I haven't taken that type apart.
If there was just water inside your HP hose, you might consider having your first stage looked at as well. But your transmitter may still be toast. Sorry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom