• Shearwater Teric

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Shearwater Perdix

Votes: 99 68.3%
  • Both of these do not suit you well

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could drill out the pin holes large enough for 1/8" bungee but I would not.

I have not read of a failure.

Most of us use the Shearwater silicone strap with its extension. Both are made of shore 70A silicone that has a very nice balance between strength and elasticity. Last night I was filling tanks for the weekend and showcasing my Teric to a friend. He mentioned bungee saying his mind would be more at peace for preventing watchband rips that might end up losing the watch. So I told him let's pull on it to see if we break it. I held one end and he pulled the other. We didn't break and to be fair his intent was not to break the strap but to gauge how much abuse the strap could take. In more concrete numbers the strap when connected to the Teric can lift 51 lbs unbuckled and 70 lbs buckled.

Yeah the 56$ really stings, it’s much cheaper to buy a new one. You could go with the 0.56 cents worth of bungee cord and a drill but now your nice watch like teric looks like ****.

You could drill out the pin holes large enough for 1/8" bungee but I would not.

I have not read of a failure.
I don’t think anyone should do anything like that as then the mounding strengh would be compromised. I just like bungee for my two Shearwaters. Makes it easy to put on and off on a dry suit.

Are you guys serious about this conversation regarding the pins being sufficient?
You do realize that watches in the 5+$ figure range are delicately balanced on pins far smaller and less sturdy?
I understand these expensive watches are subject to far less caustic conditions (saltwater, pressure, etc) AND the said expensive chronograph is NOT being used as a life-support gauge.
BUT - I've got to ask, honestly how many have ever lost a wrist mounted item that was mounted on OEM strap/device? [Here we go - there's probably some historical brand with bad mounting pins...]
I realize the conversation is most likely occurring between folk who do complex, extremely dangerous dives that require zero loss of equipment - but, aren't you the most likely candidates for double and triple redundancy anyway?

Sorry - just had to vent.

Are you guys serious about this conversation regarding the pins being sufficient?
I've lost a watch because a pin gave way, and found a watch that had been lost the same way.
Both were underwater. I guess it is a stressful environment.

in case you've not seen this from SW in another thread:

Most of us use the Shearwater silicone strap with its extension. Both are made of shore 70A silicone that has a very nice balance between strength and elasticity. Last night I was filling tanks for the weekend and showcasing my Teric to a friend. He mentioned bungee saying his mind would be more at peace for preventing watchband rips that might end up losing the watch. So I told him let's pull on it to see if we break it. I held one end and he pulled the other. We didn't break and to be fair his intent was not to break the strap but to gauge how much abuse the strap could take. In more concrete numbers the strap when connected to the Teric can lift 51 lbs unbuckled and 70 lbs buckled.

When I was actually working hard I popped the spring loaded pin on wrist watch 4 or 5 times over a period of a couple of years. I was putting a lot of stress on the watch. I tried various makes of pins from Amazon without success and finally superglued the pin mechanism rigid and that seems to have worked. I never lost a watch because I used a one piece strap threaded through both pins a la NATO.

Back
Top Bottom