• Shearwater Teric

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Shearwater Perdix

Votes: 99 68.3%
  • Both of these do not suit you well

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Perdix on the other hand is going to require that I start it and check the voltage of the battery and if it needs to be changed I will need to check and possibly lube the o ring and then calibrate the compass when it boots up. I did that perhaps three times while I was there.
You changed the battery 3 times in 30 dives in Perdix?

Changed when below 3.9 volts. Could have gone longer. Not interested in seeing how far I can push it.

I Have about 6 months and 50 dives on my Perdix with a Saft battery and it's still going strong.
Agree. I don't see any reason for using rechargeable batteries requiring constant access to the battery compartment where a mistake could lead to a flooded computer.

Functionally, they're basically the same. I have a Petral, Mrs Stoo has a Perdix. Both are fantastic. I'd love a Teric, but honestly, I'd use it for a cool watch. We wear drysuits here and it would be a pain pushing the buttons

For those concerned about wearing the Teric and suit compression causing the strap the get loose, have you ever found or tried a NATO style strap with elastic strands sown in. I have not tried one but I have seen such straps online. Seems an elastic NATO strap would accomplish two things. It would require that both pins break before losing the computer. And it could be secured snug at the surface allowing the strap to accommodate some adjustments for compression at depth. Thanks in advance to anyone who has tried such a strap and cares to share their experience.

For those concerned about wearing the Teric and suit compression causing the strap the get loose, have you ever found or tried a NATO style strap with elastic strands sown in. I have not tried one but I have seen such straps online. Seems an elastic NATO strap would accomplish two things. It would require that both pins break before losing the computer. And it could be secured snug at the surface allowing the strap to accommodate some adjustments for compression at depth. Thanks in advance to anyone who has tried such a strap and cares to share their experience.
Velcro Watch Band with Depth Compensating Buckle (3/4
This is the easy solution to the problem you are describing.

I bought the Perdix and have several hundred dives on it. I do not wear a watch so the Teric was not for me. A good friend likes watches and bought the Teric. We both love our devices.

I bought the Perdix as the screen is so easy to read in low vis and on night dives. Getting near 60 my eyes were not the best. Since I bought the Perdix I had both eyes done for cataracts and intra ocular tri focal lenses so now I have bionic vision again. The screen on the Perdix and being able to set it up for your own personal likes is great. I use a rechargable battery and as they come in a pair always have a spare. I do a single dive trip of 40 dives in 2 weeks on a single battery. That's about 50 hours plus of dive time.

I would recommend the Perdix to anyone who wants to do recreational diving but also knows their device is first rate.

I know people like the ability to replace the Perdix battery but I would actually prefer it had a built-in rechargeable and replaceable battery and had the wireless charging like the Teric. I don't really like the battery bulge in the back and would prefer it fit more closely and flatter on the arm.

I can understand that you don't like the design of the Perdix, but practically speaking, I've had the same Saft battery in my Perdix for almost a year and over 60 dives.

Here's another idea that I think could make the Perdix even better. With today's technology and electronics miniaturization, it could have a slight concave curve on the back of the body. If they got rid of the battery bulge and had a slight curve on the back, the combination of those things would give it a cool low profile and fit more flush on the driver's arm. It would also reduce the possibility of one of these "brick" style computers to wobble or rotate on the arm. This would be especially true in cold water. With a drysuit and undergarments, that design would be really form fitting and secure, even with compression. Personally, I'm not married to the idea of having a dual purpose computer that I can also wear as a watch. Even on travel, I have to carry my fins, snorkel, mask and boots anyway. Carrying a computer also isn't that big of a deal. If I wanted such a device, I would probably just wait for the next version of a Garmin watch with AI. I know everyone has their own priorities so this wishlist is purely personal requests on my part. But with that said, that's my wishlist, no battery bulge, no opening the case, built-in rechargeable battery with wireless charging, and a curved back body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom