Shearwater Peregrine AI (sort of ... console mount)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

similar to the VPN unlock, it could be an interesting way to implement levels of options, but I don't know how much space the hardware requires, and if it could be made to fit the Peregrin. It seems AI in the recreational market would possibly have a higher demand than in the technical side (though it is slowly changing)...

IDK...

Offerings aren't that bad IMHO.

similar to the VPN unlock, it could be an interesting way to implement levels of options, but I don't know how much space the hardware requires, and if it could be made to fit the Peregrin. It seems AI in the recreational market would possibly have a higher demand than in the technical side (though it is slowly changing)...

IDK...

Offerings aren't that bad IMHO.

They put AI in the Teric, so I would think it would be possible.

Whether they reserved space in the existing design is a different question

Idk... I feel like if you're looking at a new Peregrin why not look at a used perdix? I didn't even realize that I was missing a digital compass until I had one. And AI is nice, but not really needed.

I can see how this makes sense for a rental fleet though.

Just my 2 bubbles...

It's my understanding it uses a 'built-in' rechargeable battery (like the Teric), unlike the Perdix line. Some people prefer one approach over the other, so something to think about. Looking at the photos Jim Blay posted of the Perdix compared to it, it struck me as looking like a tank compared to a sedan, but the battery approach might be driving that.

Thanks for that: I hadn’t seen the two next to each other. I had always assumed the screen was pretty much the same size, and it certainly seems to be that way. I hadn’t appreciated how much thinner the Peregrine is. That’s obviously the cost of using a AA sized battery. Which I am 100% perfectly fine with: I like the diversity of batteries that allows, and the flexibility that user replaceability gives me.

They put AI in the Teric, so I would think it would be possible.

Whether they reserved space in the existing design is a different question
I thought that producing the Perdix AI only required placing an antenna into the Perdix, along with whatever software/programming was required. I have recently been told by an extremely reliable source that the Perdix AI is a different computer than the Perdix, non-AI. The only thing that is the same is the case/chassis.

So, I am no longer so sure that producing a Peregrine AI is as simple as I would have believed. Obviously, the antenna can be quite small, as demonstrated by the Teric and other small, watch form computers using the PPS transmitter.

I'm still hoping to see a Peregrine AI someday, by the time my over 10 1/2 year old Oceanic VT3 eventually bites the dust :)

I thought that producing the Perdix AI only required placing an antenna into the Perdix, along with whatever software/programming was required. I have recently been told by an extremely reliable source that the Perdix AI is a different computer than the Perdix, non-AI. The only thing that is the same is the case/chassis.

So, I am no longer so sure that producing a Peregrine AI is as simple as I would have believed. Obviously, the antenna can be quite small, as demonstrated by the Teric and other small, watch form computers using the PPS transmitter.

I'm still hoping to see a Peregrine AI someday, by the time my over 10 1/2 year old Oceanic VT3 eventually bites the dust :)

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought AI vs Non-AI would have required that dramatic of a difference in design of the hardware itself. I've been in IT my entire career but I've always been a software/applications/data guy and not into hardware or networking. That's now very obvious! :rofl3:

If you ever owned a Predator or a Petrel, you would be satisfied with the size quite happily...
But my hypothetical Petrel was for my 300' dive arm with tons of stages and deco. This is for my 130' tropical or rocky reef dive arm with just two LP50s and a trace of He so I'm less narced. My 130' dive arm never conceived of diving with the amount of gear needed for 300'! :)

I see now that the Perdix and Perigrine are fairly close. I also see many comments of it being significantly smaller. I'll get what I have to when the time comes, just slim is nicer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom