Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, but I like to put things on a schedule. Maybe monthly is overdoing it, but I'd most likely change it when ever I change the perdix(s) batteries. With all the battery operated devices I carry (e.g. camera, flashes, etc.) a couple of CR2 wouldn't be an issue. And as @Mike1967 said there are plenty of them out there, but I am looking for 'GOOD' ones I can trust. There doesn't seem to be as many reviews of them as say AA.

I hear you. But, the transmitters are attached to 1st stage regulators. Maybe the transmitters should be on the "annual 1st stage inspection/service" schedule, instead of the computer battery swap schedule. :)

Anyway, just idle discussion. Not trying to tell you what to do.

One question I would wonder about is that rechargeables vs non usually have a different discharge curve. My Atom allows me to actively check the battery status of any transmitter it is paired with. It will say "GOOD" or ... something else. I think the Perdix gives a more passive version of the same thing. I.e. it displays tank pressure and, if it doesn't display anything else, that means the transmitter battery status is "good". If the transmitter battery is low, IIRC the Perdix will display some indicator of that.

If you change the transmitter battery to a rechargeable, I wonder if that will throw off the battery status monitoring due to the (possibly) different discharge curve. I.e. your computer might tell you the battery is low when it actually still has a long way to go. Or, worse, when it tells you the battery is low, you only have minutes left before it dies.

In the face of this uncertainty, I (just me, personally) would stick with the "normal" CR2 batteries. My plan is, whenever my original one, on my original transmitter, finally gives me a Low warning, I will start replacing it and the one in my other transmitter annually. As you, I like to have things on a schedule. But, I also like to know what their limits are. :)

I bought my Atom 3.0 and transmitter secondhand in 2014. I think it had only done a few dives. The first dive I did with it was dive 815. I just did dive 1480 and if I remember correctly I've only had to change the transmitter battery once. There are probably 50 dives where I used my backup regs (and so a different transmitter) but it looks like I've gotten over 600 dives in 4 years and only had to change the battery once. It's probably nearly due for a battery change although the Atom still reports the battery as GOOD.

According to Oceanic, the transmitter is rated to sustain at least 300 dive hours on a fresh battery (https://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/media/wysiwyg/manuals/12-2705-r02.pdf). Also, the battery is usable down to 2.50-2.75 Volts based on the same spec. Personally, I periodically check the battery state with a multimeter and always keep a spare battery around. Haven't explored the very limits of the battery, since I have always swapped the battery once it falls below 2.75V after a dive trip. However, I can tell you from experience that a fresh battery lasts a long time in these transmitters.

Hi guys, another noobie question for you. How is it suppose to give an accurate SAC in the logs when it doesn't know the size of the tank you're using?
Cheers Mike

Last edited:
Hi guys, another noobie question for you. How is it suppose to give an accurate SAC in the logs when it doesn't know the size of the tank you're using?
Cheers Mike
It gives you SAC in psi/min. You have to calculate your RMV in cf/min. See page 16 of the Perdix AI manual for explanation and the calculation

Cheers Mike

What @scubadada said.

It knows how many psi you had 1 minute ago. It knows how many psi you have now. Thus, it can tell you how many psi per minute you are using without knowing the size of your tank.

Which, of course, also means that even if you breathe exactly the same every time, the SAC that is shown will be different if you are using a different sized tank.

It gives you SAC in psi/min. You have to calculate your RMV in cf/min.
I have mine in bar/min but yeah. On the Shearwater app after you can put in the tank size but it doesn't affect the SAC. In the Dive Log app it gives you the lts/min used for the total dive but that's not much use. If I could just get an accurate SAC in bar/min I'd be happy.

From the Perdix AI manual:

Calculating RMV from SAC - Metric units

In the metric system, tank sizes are described using a single number, the tank’s physical size in liters [L].This is how much gas could be stored at a pressure of 1 Bar, so effectively the units of tank size are [L/Bar].

This makes converting SAC to RMV easy.When using metric units, simply multiply the SAC by tank size.

For example, a SAC of 2.1 Bar/min with a 10 L tank would be an RMV of (2.1 x 10) = 21 L/min.

What @scubadada said.

It knows how many psi you had 1 minute ago. It knows how many psi you have now. Thus, it can tell you how many psi per minute you are using without knowing the size of your tank.

Which, of course, also means that even if you breathe exactly the same every time, the SAC that is shown will be different if you are using a different sized tank.

So you're saying it doesn't need to know the tank size to get an accurate SAC?
The reason this has come up for me is I used twins for the first time on Saturday and the SAC was way low till I doubled my start and end pressures. I was using two 12.2lt tanks with an open manifold so as far as my perdix was concerned it could have well been one 24.4lt

So you're saying it doesn't need to know the tank size to get an accurate SAC?
The reason this has come up for me is I used twins for the first time on Saturday and the SAC was way low till I doubled my start and end pressures. I was using two 12.2lt tanks with an open manifold so as far as my perdix was concerned it could have well been one 24.4lt
:), now just multiply your bar/min x tank size (24.2 L) and get your RMV in L/min

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom