Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m glad you asked this question because I’m going to be using my Geo 2.0 as backup to my Perdix and I was wondering which algorithm would match the Perdix best!

A "more conservative" computer as a backup isn't NECESSARILY a problem, but I would agree if you're buying another computer specifically for use as a backup, you might as well get one with a matching algorithm. As a backup to my Shearwater, I use the Suunto that had been my primary computer. Suunto is notoriously conservative on repetitive dives, especially with increasing number of dives per day and number of consecutive dive days, but on the first dive of the day I think it typically shows more no-deco time than the Shearwater (set on GF 40/85). If I were doing square profiles pushing the no-deco limits, it might be problem, but this combo works fine for the kind of laid-back vacation reef diving I do, even on liveaboards. I guess I dive conservatively, period--the computer is typically irrelevant. However, if I were to do more aggressive diving, I think I'd buy a used Petrel as a backup--there are some great deals out there. There are probably even some decent deals on non-AI Perdixes.

I succesfully managed to almost match my Perdix with a Suunto HeLO2 using GF 30/85 and setting the HeLO2 to P-2.
In the normoxic range they agree with maximu a couple of minutes.
I'm speaking of tec dives - never tried with multi-dive recreational liveaboard dives.

You, sir, are brilliant...twice in one day! Thanks. :) If you were to pick a backup that is more liberal than the Perdix, would you go with the Oceanic out of all the options?

Genesis brand also come with DSAT but I don't think you can get them cheaper than oceanic bud.

Just replace it after a year or 150 hours. If you use fresh batteries you should never see the warning.

Since I use Eneloops for the perdix I'd really like to find a rechargeable solution, but haven't found a reliable source of Rechargeables for the transmitter. If I could I'd probably change them monthly.

Since I use Eneloops for the perdix I'd really like to find a rechargeable solution, but haven't found a reliable source of Rechargeables for the transmitter. If I could I'd probably change them monthly.
There appears to be several choices for rechargeable CR2 batteries. The regular batteries are said to last 1 year/300dives. I change it at the same time I change my Oceanic VT3 battery, a CR2450. My computer allows me to check the transmitter battery, I have never gotten a low battery warning.
upload_2018-3-17_10-48-57.png

Why?? I purchased my first transmitter as new old stock (i.e. no idea how old the battery in it really is) in December 2014. That transmitter is still working fine, on that original battery, today. Counting pool sessions, it has well over 200 dives on it.

I'm not recommending to use it for 3 years without a battery change. I'm just saying that changing once a year (unless you are really diving a LOT), seems WAY more than adequate. Excessive numbers of unnecessary battery changes is just extra opportunities for getting a little crud on the O-ring and flooding the transmitter.

Rechargeables are really better for devices that use significant juice and would be replaced often. For standby devices and devices with a low power draw, alkaline batteries are a better choice.

Why?? I purchased my first transmitter as new old stock (i.e. no idea how old the battery in it really is) in December 2014. That transmitter is still working fine, on that original battery, today. Counting pool sessions, it has well over 200 dives on it.

True, but I like to put things on a schedule. Maybe monthly is overdoing it, but I'd most likely change it when ever I change the perdix(s) batteries. With all the battery operated devices I carry (e.g. camera, flashes, etc.) a couple of CR2 wouldn't be an issue. And as @Mike1967 said there are plenty of them out there, but I am looking for 'GOOD' ones I can trust. There doesn't seem to be as many reviews of them as say AA.

Back
Top Bottom