Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Doby45 none that I know of except for maybe @NetDoc and a few others that are already using WAI. The problem with the button gauges is you can't continue on with the dive because they are very difficult to see * with most tank rigging you have to unclip the bottom of the bottle to swing it up enough to see it*, and they aren't precise enough to actually do gas planning. They are good enough for "I'm full ish", "I'm halfway ish", and "I'm out ish", that's about it. Accuracy on those to me is +500psi, vs the normal spg's that are +100psi

Exactly my point. And with me turning the dive or getting close to turning the dive I need nothing more than a "is that needle about half way". Everything is redundant, lights, cutters, regs, masks, computers, why would I not place small SPGs on my tanks instead of full size SPGs on a hose? And for the record I am not talking about the tiny button gauges, I mean the 1.5" button gauges. I am failing to see what your hang up on this is.

@Doby45 do you put button gauges on your regulators if they don't have a wireless transmitter for the same reason? I don't know anyone that dives with redundant pressure gauges.... The 1.5" button gauges are what I use on my deco bottles but it's not for planning or executing dives

Man oh man. I love it! I sure have been involved in a lot of discussions surrounding my desire for shearwater to add hoseless AI to their computers... Glad it finally is happening.

Well I for one keep my SPG's on all my cylinders.

The initial reason, was trust when I went to AI, and then after. Few dives I was too lazy to take them off.

But they still serve a purpose apart from redundancy. When I put my gear together I'll look at the gauges to check the pressure, also I use my SPG for the test breaths before I dive - because I've always done it and it's habit - plus AI has a lag of approx one and a half breaths.

But I see the point of why add AI to a large amount of cylinders if you're happy with SPG's

Horses for courses and all that

@stuartv stage cylinders are just as important in backgas. In fact, the dive we went on with the gear above, the only thing we used backgas for was inflation as that was our bailout from the DPV's and a few breaths during gas switches. The dive was conducted essentially exclusively on the stage cylinders

Understood. And, in that case, if I had a transmitter (or multiple) to use, I might put it (or them) on stage bottles, instead of back gas. My diving is not at the level of using extra cylinders like that, yet, so what I "would" do is speculative. However, I *think* that I would do just what you've talked about - which is simply NOT spend extra money to put transmitters on every cylinder. They're just for convenience and data collection. I'd use the transmitter(s) I had on the cylinders that would be my highest priority for convenience and/or collecting data. MAYBE if I were to someday get to a point where I was diving with that many cylinders on a very frequent basis, but that's too far away for me to worry about.

Right now, I'm pretty happy to just have one transmitter for my back gas (with an SPG as backup) and only a 1" button gauge on my one deco cylinder. :)

You two can't keep your mouth shut? Like I said keep it low! Shut up and wait!
More seriously now, one of possible problems I see, how is GTR/deco relation implemented? Since SW computers are regarded as great tech computers, and there is consensus that dive training is in a decline over time, how many of incompetent divers would be tempted to try more demanding dives on a premise: it is all fine, I know how much gas time I have by looking at my computer?
I know of some divers that are kept back only be need to calculate their remaining bottom time vs available gas. Take that away and they would start pushing it.

There are plenty of computers that have been available for a while that would do just what you're talking about. It's not like Shearwater is breaking new ground here. There are even Trimix-capable AI computers that have been out for a decent while.

Those divers you're worried about could have been doing what you're talking about long since, if they wanted to.

And, my opinion, the relationship between GTR and the deco implementation is not rocket science. The computer knows how many psi/minute you're draining. It tells you how many minutes until your current tank gets to 500 psi or whatever reserve you set it for. Some current implementations base that calculation on staying at your current depth. Some base it on current depth plus your ascent.

In other words, assume your computer is telling you you have a GTR of 1 (and you configured the computer for a 500 psi reserve). On some computers, that means you have 1 minute at your current depth before you hit 500 psi. On other computers, that you means you have 1 minute until you need to begin your ascent, at 30ft/min, in order to hit the surface with 500 psi left. You are responsible for knowing how your computer works and what the GTR means.

I think all (semi-modern and newer) computers support doing deco. I.e. Even if you exceed your NDL on a Suunto Zoop or Mares Puck or whatever, it's going to tell you when to stop on your ascent and how long to stay there. So, they ALL know what your expected ascent time is and what your average depth will be during your ascent. So, they can all easily calculate how much gas you will consume during the ascent, assuming you continue to breathe the same way you have been. I think the Oceanic AI computers base your consumption rate on how much you have consumed in the most recent 90 seconds. But, every AI computer could be different in the details of that.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see the details of Shearwater's AI implementation. Do they let you configure a reserve in psi? Do they base your GTR on when you'll hit the reserve or is it when you have to start your ascent to hit the surface with your reserve? If you have a deco gas configured, is the GTR the time until you have to start your ascent in order to reach your first gas switch with the configured reserve left?

Anyone who makes diving decisions based on the GTR that their computer is telling them and hasn't read the manual to know exactly what the GTR means on that computer is an idiot.

But I see the point of why add AI to a large amount of cylinders if you're happy with SPG's
For me, it's all about the data. Data you just can't get from a mechanical SPG. You get air pressure (and therefore consumption) data throughout the dive. not just averages. It's great when analyzing your dives after the fact. You can see where and when and for how long your air consumption changed. Software automatically correlates it to depth, and you can then pretty easily correlate it to exactly where you were and what you were doing at a given time on a dive.

I used that feature with my galileo early on in my diving to help reduce my air consumption. Not everyone is into analyzing their dives after the fact, but I do enjoy it.

Well that's of course assuming that shearwater stores a running log of pressures in their log. I'd hope so, since their competitors do - but I guess you never know. They are a little late to hoseless AI as a whole, and might need to tweak things a little.

Here's another potential benefit they could add. Maybe they already did. With AI on multiple tanks, a computer could potentially use that data to automatically detect which tank you are breathing from the first breath. No more hitting buttons to switch gasses if they did that. That would just be a software change, too - easy money.

Your DC could alert you if more than one tank was expelling gas, therefore alerting you to a leak before all your gas was lost in a pony/stage/whatever... the possibilities are quite nice in my opinion.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the GTR includes the time for ascent with all the stops or just time at depth? In other words if GTR is 0 at depth do I still have enough gas to make it to the surface?

Suuntos and Liquivision have the lazy implementation of air time that does not include ascent time. Oceanic and Uwatec include ascent time.

The Perdix AI manual is not on SW's website, yet. It's says "Coming soon." So, I reckon nobody outside SW probably really knows how the PAI is doing the GTR calc.

@kelemvor

You don't need to convince me, I already use 2 transmitters on each dive, occasionally I "borrow) my wife's transmitters for my deco gasses too - but only because I can as I have them already. A mute point as the Perdix only supports 2 transmitters - which seems strange, and I'm guessing there is a limiting factor in the Shearwater.

Regarding your other points, with auto switching of gasses, or warnings. The down side will be, if your on one gas and but using your main for DS or BCD then your comp will give annoying messages or warnings.

As you get multiple transmitters then the management of them becomes an issue, I paint the last 4 digits of the serial number on each, so I can confirm which transmitter is assigned to which gas. There is room for error there. In the future it would be great if you could name your transmitter to allow easy identification.

Currently all the cosmos only display the contents of your current gas, not all the gasses connected (not easily seen anyway)

The Perdix AI manual is not on SW's website, yet. It's says "Coming soon." So, I reckon nobody outside SW probably really knows how the PAI is doing the GTR calc.

They use a PPS transmitter and computer hardware, I'm hoping they use the GTR algorithm that in includes the ascent, like I'm very accustomed to with Oceanic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom