Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@stuartv I was going off of the price that DGX has on their website. I'm sure I wouldn't pay retail on them, but I haven't seen the dealer pricing on them yet. Requirements for that dive are 4 transmitters ignoring deco, or 5 with the deco bottle, not including buddy bottles that could pose problematic as they aren't planning on being used and may go to a team-mate so the sync abilities of the transmitters matter.
Regarding the gas switching that works fine for ocean diving, but in cave diving where depending on how big the dive is you can have 4-8 bottles with the same mix, I think it would quickly become impractical to assign them to individual gasses. Like I said, that's all in software and since Shearwater is good about updates for usability, it is highly likely they will evolve over time.

Gotcha. FWIW, I agree with you. I don't think AI is worth it, either, for that kind of diving. I was just making the point that the transmitters aren't really as expensive as the price you see for a single on on LeisurePro (i.e. $400). And for 95% (?) of the diving being done in the world, 2 transmitters is plenty (and also, not THAT expensive).

People who dismiss AI in general because it's not really a good choice for full expedition-level cave diving aren't really adding anything constructive to the conversation. I understand you aren't doing that, but I think some people are, or may take your posts as supportive of that sentiment.

What is coming next???...

Two words........SPARE AIR! (just kidding)

Thanks to an email from Stuart yesterday, I'm now out $935 at DGX!
I got a confirmation this morning asking if I'm willing to wait approximately 2 weeks for the delivery. No problem. Might even get it before my Bahamas trip in December.
I already have three transmitters between the Atom 3.0 and Hollis TX-1. That'll give me an AI computer for each wrist diving either rec or tec - should never have to strain to read the backup spg.

Looks like I'll be selling my Perdix (with less than 20 dives currently).
...also have to get off my butt and get that Nitek Q in the For Sale section ;-)

Steve

I don't think the transmitters will reduce in size much more. When you consider the battery, and electronics.

As to what's coming next...

I think the next gen will possibly increase the screen size to give more real estate for data. I guess there is no reason why with accelerometers much like a smart phone, there can be some basic form of route mapping. i.e. it knows where you start and you can follow the line back, perhaps even mark stage bottles as you place them.

For the future the rec world will be the platform where technology gets trialled and then works into tech when sorted.

The manufacturers need to keep moving forward with their products, who knows where we'll be in 5 years.

At when people tell me with conviction that things will never happen, I can point them at the Perdix AI, which everyone "in the know" said wouldn't happen. Still laughing at that one

I could see where this would be great with sidemount as you could simply put the bigger button SPGs on each tank and use the AI for primary monitoring. No lollipops or long hoses down the side of the tanks. But you still have your mechanical poop hit the fan backup SPGs, just in a smaller package.

I just got back the attached reply from Shearwater regarding transmitters:

Hi Craig,
We use the same supplier for transmitters as Oceanic, Hollis, and AquaLung, so existing transmitters purchased separately will work with the Perdix AI.

A user can check the end of the transmitter for the FCC ID: MH8A – if it says this, it will work with the Perdix AI.
Regards,
Christina from DEMA

So, the transmitters are from PPS, now owned by Aqua Lung rather than AUP. It appears that transmitters from Oceanic, Hollis, Aeris, Aqua Lung, Sherwood, and Tusa will all work with the Perdix AI :D. The FCC ID is a nice thing to be able to check.

@Doby45 if the proverbial sh!t hits the fan, it doesn't matter what is in the tanks. It is either enough to get out or it isn't. Looking at the SPG's doesn't make them go down any slower. A transmitter failure with a backup analog spg could allow you to continue that dive if you want to, but you have had a piece of equipment fail, the dive is over, come out.

@Doby45A transmitter failure with a backup analog spg could allow you to continue that dive if you want to, but you have had a piece of equipment fail, the dive is over, come out.

While I don't doubt your logic, especially in caves. But if you have a backup spg, why would a transmitter failure bin the dive? Surely with just an spg, you're doing nothing different from the way you do things now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom