Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's a great move from SW. Hopefully these quality products will get into more people's hand.

Personally I would never use AI but I can see the appeal especially in single tank diving.

I'm more excited about the cloud storage for my dive logs. Be really nice to see some phone/tablet based software to edit my logs right on the boat while they are fresh in my mind.

that is mainly due to the exchange rates. Remember that Shearwaters are made in Canada and their prices fluctuate with exchange rate. I don't believe the Canadian price has changed significantly for the standard computers.

Personally I'm glad that they are doing it. WAI is the future, but not for the technical divers until the transmitters are cheap and small...
anyone want to front the money to put transmitters on those? 3 divers worth of gear and that's small compared to what some of the other guys are doing...

Next to all that, what's another $1K per diver for transmitters?

I think it's a great move from SW. Hopefully these quality products will get into more people's hand.

Personally I would never use AI but I can see the appeal especially in single tank diving.

I'm more excited about the cloud storage for my dive logs. Be really nice to see some phone/tablet based software to edit my logs right on the boat while they are fresh in my mind.

Subsurface is free, has free Cloud storage for your logs, and works with Shearwater and many, many other computers. And it's way nicer software than what came with my Petrel 2. It even has a built-in dive planner that runs Buhlmann w/Gradient Factors

Next to all that, what's another $1K per diver for transmitters?

$1500 for that dive with no transmitter on the deco bottles. The bigger concern we have right now is something that no manufacturer has been able to do yet, which is manage lots of bottles at once. I want a right button screen on my Shearwater to come up with a list of tank pressures when I cycle to it and to show all of them. Not sure if it's there yet, we shall see, but it's on AUP to get the price and size of those transmitters down to something reasonable if they want to penetrate that market

...it's on AUP to get the price and size of those transmitters down to something reasonable if they want to penetrate that market

The PPS/AUP transmitter has been the same for a long time. I don't know how likely it is that the size and/or price will change soon, but, of course, few thought a Perdix AI was coming either. Perhaps the increased demand for transmitters related to Perdix AI will spur R&D and/or influence the price point, we'll see

Subsurface is free, has free Cloud storage for your logs, and works with Shearwater and many, many other computers. And it's way nicer software than what came with my Petrel 2. It even has a built-in dive planner that runs Buhlmann w/Gradient Factors

I use sub surface now but I much prefer the shearwater software. I can't get on with the UI of subsurface although I have used it up to this point. I've now capped subsurface and I'm switching to the shearwater log.

Also they way you are selling it I feel like I might be using a different subsurface! I can't get it to work on my iPhone. I haven't managed to get the cloud device running I just save my dive log to Dropbox.

I find the UI painful to use like I have the map on there that I don't even want. I just really find it difficult to use.

I really like the shearwater software I can just fill out the details, the downboxes and add a few notes and I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom