Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My suspicions have been confirmed:

"Unfortunately we do not have an upgrade path from the Perdix to the Perdix AI.
The hardware on the Perdix is different from that of the Perdix AI.
Cheers,
Alex Tayler
Marketing Coordinator
Shearwater Research Inc."

I loved my Perdix yesterday. Its still the same computer today. I have not been done-in by @Shearwater . I have no reason to be annoyed by the timing. All is well. I don't need to buy another Perdix to have AI that i didn't want yesterday. Im not upset that i have a Oceanic transmitter here doing nothing that would work great on the Perdix AI that I don't have.

Now to repeat the above 1000 times till i begin to believe it.

I think that maybe Shearwater was surprised by the admiration that advanced recreational divers had for the Perdix, with it small form factor, great battery life, and the excellent recreational mode display. However, this is a crowd (myself included) that has grown to love the AI feature and many (including me) on this board expressed that Shearwater could make a fortune if they could add this feature. Many technical divers, though, were not enthusiastic and wanted the feature left out to keep the software and hardware simple.

Now, best of both worlds!

Why not have the AI feature and carry a SPG? That is to me, the best of both worlds.

I do think this will be a killer dive computer. Ease of use, reliable and extremely capable. I see no reason to get any other computer except if price is an issue.

Last edited:
The Perdix has been $850 from DGX for months. It's still $850.

Where's the price creep?

The Perdix AI is a new model with a major new feature. It's $65 more. You can still get the (non-AI) Perdix for the same price it has been for months.

It looks to me like the dive computer market just became a two horse race: Perdix AI and Deep 6 (assuming they actually release theirs soon - and the actual implementation doesn't turn out to be crap). It could be a 3 horse race if SP releases the H3 and it has AI and SP doesn't eff it up with some stupid proprietary algorithm.

I don't think that this will be the case. The Perdix AI is going to be a very good computer and that is without argument, but hear me out on the rest.

Outside of the Tech and enthusiastic Rec diving community, Shearwater is still a niche brand. The vast majority of divers haven't heard of them.

If you live outside the US then you have to consider the need for returns to SW in the event of a issue.

I've witnessed the PITA of a friend sending their computer back to OSTC. OSTC were brilliant (and have similar customer service to SW) the issue is with the shipping agents and length of time out of your hands etc.

If I have an issue with my Eon, I can take it to the Suunto service centre and get it fixed while I wait. Now there is a lot to be said for that if you dive regularly. Certainly for me and others I dive with, the fact you can drop your gear off after the weekend for service and it be ready for the following weekend is incredibly important and is a huge factor in the purchasing decision making process.

Away from this a huge amount of Dive Pro's the world over use a watch style AI for the convenience. It has all the data needed and works for the type of diving they do.

Similarly go to any resort area in the world and you'll see a Sunnto computer display. This is the brand the mass market knows and trusts. Who's heard of Deep 6 for instance? People might be put off by a low price on a brand they don't know - assuming that a higher price on a better known brand is the way to go.

As you know I'm an Eon user. This side of the pond the Perdix AI will be price comparable with the Eon. And the only reason on paper to move to the Perdix would be for GF. Realistically how big of a percentage of divers understand GF, and carry out dives where they might see a benefit? - Lets not turn this into a GF vs SRGBM discussion)

I'm sure Suunto are watching this development with interest. Until yesterday. they had AI as the difference. Now SW has come over to the Dark side I'm sure Suunto will be looking to see what they can do to redress the balance. After all they invested 5 years of R&D in the Eon so they're not going to throw that out.

It's been a year since we had a new firmware update - there's plenty that they could adjust/improve maybe perhaps GF for the Eon is a possibility.

As an upgrade path, Moving backward from a graphical display to a classic numbers only, from a rechargeable battery to AA and from a 3 button interface back to 2 (as well as the number of transmitters currently allowed), would require some thought. These are, I will concede, personal preferences, but these are differences that set the computers apart (on top of GF)

While Perdix AI might be a resounding success in the US - which is all SW maybe interested in, I don't think for the moment it's going to suddenly put the rest of the manufacturers out of business or render their models out of date.

It may shake up the other manufacturers somewhat and force them into a positive reaction which can only be good for us divers

I may not be up to speed on current Suuntos, but my experience in seeing other divers use them (and seeing them try to program it, interpret it, understand it) convinced me that brand would be the very last dive computer brand I'd ever consider. They're notorious for being ridiculously conservative and completely nonintuitive. I wrote them off long ago as being hopelessly clueless!

I may not be up to speed on current Suuntos, but my experience in seeing other divers use them (and seeing them try to program it, interpret it, understand it) convinced me that brand would be the very last dive computer brand I'd ever consider. They're notorious for being ridiculously conservative and completely nonintuitive. I wrote them off long ago as being hopelessly clueless!

With the greatest respect, you're obviously out of date. Often it's the user not the computer, and frankly if they cant grasp what a simple computer is telling them then there is no hope when you get to the higher end. All manufacturers require the user to RTFM

As for conservatism, this has been debated to death. An awful lot of misinformation is regurgitated on this subject. While sRGMB does have some limitations specifically with Suunto nannying users - giving them more room for error without hurting themselves on some entry level computers, I think you'll as you move up the range this doesn't happen. I know this from over 200 dives on my machine diving along side those with OSTC units on planned deco dives

that is including a transmitter. if you already have an oceanic/aeris/hollis transmitter, you save about 240 dollars.
That's good to know considering I already have a Oceanic VT3 w/transmitter, I believe that would allow me to continue using the VT3 as a back up computer using the same transmitter.

I bought mine new (one month ago) from DS in JAX and paid $750 for it, the new Perdix AI is posted at $1,175 from an online retailer so that would be a price difference of $425.
So I hope that includes one transmitter then the cost would be comparable.

that is mainly due to the exchange rates. Remember that Shearwaters are made in Canada and their prices fluctuate with exchange rate. I don't believe the Canadian price has changed significantly for the standard computers.

Personally I'm glad that they are doing it. WAI is the future, but not for the technical divers until the transmitters are cheap and small...
anyone want to front the money to put transmitters on those? 3 divers worth of gear and that's small compared to what some of the other guys are doing...
15032217_10157725015965134_6869714776450664672_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom