Shearwater Perdix AI question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJHACK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks, I'm going to pull the trigger on an AI computer this month. Been tossing around the options between Suunto Eon, Mares Icon, ScubaPro G2, and the Shearwater Perdix.

It really has come down to only two of these, the G2 and the Perdix. With the Perdix AI leading the pack for me. The G2 sounds fantastic but there is no run time on any of them as of yet. The Suunto is priced out of the game and is a non compete with anyone else. Mares, well..... sounds good on their marketing pitch but I'm not sold on the capability of their stuff yet.

My question for those who have and use the Perdix, can I program the disply on the dive screen to show me:
actual depth, max depth, Temp, PSI of tank, and dive time. If so is there room for additional info? Put another way can how many data points can be programmed per screen? Can I choose any of them I want?

I'm assuming this, but did not see it yet, does it have auto on when it gets to a few feet deep so I don't have to remember to turn it on for a dive. I think all the companies have this now, but just checking.

Next, can I use a single button to select between the dive screen or the compass screen? What I would like is to have the items I feel good about monitoring on one page or screen, and then switch to the second page for the compass use when needed.

Thanks for the info!

Seriously, the the perdix. There is nothing else comparable. I'm not sure about the temperature on the mains screen. I'm sure you can put it there, but it's really not a piece of information you need displayed all the time. For the compass, yes, it's a single button push that gives you the compass, and you still have your top line info in addition to the compass information displayed. Seriously, nothing else on the market is even close to the perdix.

Hi folks, I'm going to pull the trigger on an AI computer this month. Been tossing around the options between Suunto Eon, Mares Icon, ScubaPro G2, and the Shearwater Perdix.

It really has come down to only two of these, the G2 and the Perdix. With the Perdix AI leading the pack for me. The G2 sounds fantastic but there is no run time on any of them as of yet. The Suunto is priced out of the game and is a non compete with anyone else. Mares, well..... sounds good on their marketing pitch but I'm not sold on the capability of their stuff yet.

My question for those who have and use the Perdix, can I program the disply on the dive screen to show me:
actual depth, max depth, Temp, PSI of tank, and dive time. If so is there room for additional info? Put another way can how many data points can be programmed per screen? Can I choose any of them I want?

I'm assuming this, but did not see it yet, does it have auto on when it gets to a few feet deep so I don't have to remember to turn it on for a dive. I think all the companies have this now, but just checking.

Next, can I use a single button to select between the dive screen or the compass screen? What I would like is to have the items I feel good about monitoring on one page or screen, and then switch to the second page for the compass use when needed.

Thanks for the info!

Take a look at the manual, available on the Shearwater website. If for no other reason, I would go with the Perdix for the standard decompression algorithm over the others you named

I demo'd a Perdix (didn't use AI) at the TDI Mission Tech event Saturday. OMG, makes my Geo 2.0 look like a piece of trash. So nice! I'm upgrading over the winter. Get it!

Go check the recreational manual. But the top 2/3rds show the main info in big font Depth, Dive time and NDL info.

The bottom 1/3 row you can set. Its split into left, center and right and its pretty flexible on what you can put there. But really, less is more. I have PPO2, Max/Avg. Depth and Tank pressure for my 3. During the dive, you can easily cycle through the other options or the compass.

Its really a divers dream. I look at other dive comps and often wonder if the designers even know how to dive with some of the limitations/features included.

Yes it does, but as manual says they recommend that just put it on before to check battery level and connection with transmitter.

you can actually scroll thru the different screens while diving,
MICR1240.jpg
fullsizeoutput_f29.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_eb3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_eb3.jpeg

I own a Perdix AI and I spent a few minutes playing with a G2 in the shop when they first came out.

I cannot answer your question about configuring the fields on the Perdix display. I assume you're talking about using it in OC Rec (i.e. recreational) mode and I have only used mine in OC Tec mode, where the display is pretty different.

Of the 2, I would definitely choose the Perdix AI, for these reasons:

- The Perdix uses an industry-reviewed and accepted non-proprietary algorithm. The G2 uses a proprietary algorithm, with special adjustments for things like heart rate. There is a pile of actual data behind the Perdix's algorithm to tell us how to use it, that it is safe (when used properly), and to allow us to use other software to independently verify that it is working correctly. The G2 does not have all that. The Perdix is a great choice for any type of diving you can do. I would personally not even consider to use a G2 for technical diving.

- The Perdix compass is very smooth. If you stand and turn in place, the compass tracks you quickly and smoothly. The G2 compass was not nearly as smooth. If I turned it place, it would pause for a second or two (literally) and then abruptly update from the old heading to the new. I feel like the Perdix compass is a lot nicer to use.

- If I have an issue with the Perdix, I can directly email the company and I will get a response. Usually, in less than 1 day.

- The Perdix warranty transfers. I think the G2 warranty is only to the original owner. That contributes to a higher value for the Perdix on the used market. It also suggests something to me about the confidence the manufacturer has in their product.

- The Perdix is easy to use without ever consulting a manual. In playing with the G2, I went into a submenu (Settings) and could NOT figure out how to get back out to the main menu.

- The Perdix AI uses a tank pressure transmitter that is quite easy to find and, I think, the least expensive transmitter on the market. It uses the same transmitter that is used by Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, Aqualung, Sherwood and (I think) Tusa computers. The Shearwater (and others) transmitter is made by PPS (Pelagic Pressure Systems). Being so widely used and having been around for so long, it has proven itself to be a very reliable transmitter. I bought my first one (along with an Oceanic Atom 3.0 computer) in December, 2014. I'm still using the transmitter regularly and it is still on its original battery and has never given me even a minor hiccup of trouble. The G2 works with ScubaPro's proprietary transmitter, which is not as easy to find and is (I think) more expensive. And the SP transmitter does not have as extensive a track record of solid reliability.

- ScubaPro made the original Galileo with Trimix support. Then they updated the model and dropped trimix support (so, only Nitrox). When customers had problems with their original Galileo, SP replaced them with a new computer. Those customers lost trimix support. SP promised they were coming out with a firmware update to add trimix support back in, but they never actually did. ScubaPro basically completely screwed some of their customers. In contrast, Shearwater is still releasing updates for their old computers, keeping them totally up to date with what the new computers have (barring features that the old computers don't have hardware support for, like the compass and AI). Shearwater has always proven themselves to take care of their customers. ScubaPro has proven themselves to NOT always take care of their customers. Often they do, but not always, and definitely with the same speed and convenience for the customer.

- The Perdix has a battery that is cheap, easy to find, and easy for the user to replace. The G2 has a battery that is only supposed to be replaced by a ScubaPro technician.To be fair, I will note that the G2 battery is rechargeable, so it won't need to be replaced very often. But, even the best Li-ion batteries degrade over time - even if they are sitting unused. If you are going to have the computer for 5 years or more, you should count on having to replace the battery at LEAST once. Also, you should probably count on going to dive and finding that it is dead or nearly so because you forgot to charge it at least once, too. ;-)

- When I have looked, the Perdix is less expensive and the G2 offers nothing to merit spending more money.

All in all, I think the G2 is a nice computer. I just think the Perdix AI is nicer, easier to get support for, and less expensive.

Back
Top Bottom