Shearwater Perdix AI question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL! Cool. I expect that you will love it. Congrats! :-D

I own a Perdix AI and I spent a few minutes playing with a G2 in the shop when they first came out.

I cannot answer your question about configuring the fields on the Perdix display. I assume you're talking about using it in OC Rec (i.e. recreational) mode and I have only used mine in OC Tec mode, where the display is pretty different.

Of the 2, I would definitely choose the Perdix AI, for these reasons:

All in all, I think the G2 is a nice computer. I just think the Perdix AI is nicer, easier to get support for, and less expensive.

Stuart makes some good points and some not so good , but I chose the G2, mainly because I really value the air time data the computer provides, and as soon as you go into deco the Perdix stops displaying this number as it cannot account for a deco stop. And as any recreational diver knows at some point when doing deep dives you will enter a light deco and that's when you need the air time the most. The G2will take deco stops into account as well as a variable ascent rate to allow a safe ascent.

The difference in battery types has its pros and cons. With the G2 it does not matter how much battery I use during the dive as afterwards I an always recharge it, and in fact one charge is good for several dives. With primary batteries you're always conscious of the battery use because it has to be replaced. Each time you change the battery on the Perdix there is a risk of flooding with a worn or dirty O ring. It's the same problem as in a strobe or dive light. The battery in the G2 does not need to be touched for years. It's too bad they did not make the G2 battery user replaceable but it's something that needs to be done every few years.

The transmitter of the G2 is the same as of the Galileo line and has proven dependability. It pairs with the wrist unit automatically. There is no entering of any codes.

The G2 also has some nice touches, such as a heart rate display, the option to alter the algorithm according to workload (either from heart rate or ventilation rate), variable ascent rate, and profile dependent deep stops. If nothing else these the profile dependent deep stop tells you when the leading compartment starts to offgass.

The G2 also has the same nice and simple way of setting conservatism by setting the MB level. If you violate the set MB stop the computer does not penalize but slides down to the one less conservative MB level.

Price wise the two computers are about equal. I got my G2 for under $1300 with the full kit and including taxes.

Great review @stuartv . The only thing I would add is push the right button once to switch the programmable display to compass, twice on the left to get back to the main display. I wear 7mm gloves and operating the Perdix couldn't be easier.

The battery in the G2 does not need to be touched for years. It's too bad they did not make the G2 battery user replaceable but it's something that needs to be done every few years.

In the past, Scubapro / Uwatec has a bad habit of dropping support for older computers. There are older threads on SB regarding this, where people who bought very expensive computers were latter told that Scubapro would no longer replace the batteries. They were given an "upgrade" offer for a few hundred dollars off a new computer.

And as any recreational diver knows at some point when doing deep dives you will enter a light deco and that's when you need the air time the most. The G2will take deco stops into account as well as a variable ascent rate to allow a safe ascent.

Not to derail things but I can't let that sit there. The very definition of a rec dive is one where you don't enter deco. The idea that it is inevitable is normalisation of deviance, there is NO reason for ANY rec dive to end up in deco bar an unplanned emergency. If someone CHOOSES to do "light" deco on a rec dive that is a choice, not an inevitability.

Not to derail things but I can't let that sit there. The very definition of a rec dive is one where you don't enter deco. The idea that it is inevitable is normalisation of deviance, there is NO reason for ANY rec dive to end up in deco bar an unplanned emergency. If someone CHOOSES to do "light" deco on a rec dive that is a choice, not an inevitability.

After reading @stuartv review I kind of glazed over @Hatul post. Completely missed the mention of "when doing deep dives you will enter a light deco".

I've been diving for over 16 years now and never entered deco. I've been on dives when others have let themselves go into a deco but well before that I just go a little shallow and follow them a few feet above. It has actually been pretty easy to avoid going into deco when others on the dive decide to push it but I still stay in sight of the group. This is with insta-buddies. When I'm diving at home we are usually 1 to 3 feet from each other and no one has ever gone into deco.

Darrell

I've been diving for over 40 years and have never once gone into deco (light or otherwise) when on a REC dive. Not sure why @Hatul thinks this is inevitable and why a G2 would then be a better choice?

In the past, Scubapro / Uwatec has a bad habit of dropping support for older computers. There are older threads on SB regarding this, where people who bought very expensive computers were latter told that Scubapro would no longer replace the batteries. They were given an "upgrade" offer for a few hundred dollars off a new computer.

I have a 1.5 year old SeaBear H3. ScubaPro owns SeaBear now. They won't replace the battery in my H3. If it's under warranty, they'll swap an H3 for a non-trimix computer (which is worthless to me). If it's not under warranty, then it's too bad, so sad.

As an aside: Once again SP seem not to be able to 'get' the Supply Chain thing. They had a massive pre-launch G2 campaign with their dealers, created a bunch of hype and then failed to deliver sufficient stock to those same dealers. I thought that they would have learned from the Hydros Pro debacle but alas not. G2 may be a fine computer but good luck getting one from SP. I am amazed that the small detail of actually producing them is beyond their grasp. Again.

Stuart,.... Done!

You can drop the mike,... and walk off the stage!

Wow that was a great post and the one that sealed the deal for me!

Perdix on the way!

You will not be disappointed. By far my favorite piece of dive gear that I have bought!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom