Question Shearwater Perdix AI Aluminum Protective Frame

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

General maintenance?

Shearwater recommends that their computers all receive general maintenance every few years. I’ve found reference to every 2, 3-4 and 3-5 in various places. The most obvious reference (see below) is for every 2 years. That service is performed by Dive-Tronix in the US.

I’ve decided to have mine done every 4 as long as they are working correctly. Every 2 years seems a bit excessive to me given how well I take care of my computers, as long as they are working perfectly.

FD87F1EE-9EA9-4E2F-9320-57F2C54D3112.png

In general maintenance,,, do they replace the whole plastic lens cover?
That might be worth doing... other than that, not sure what's the point

In general maintenance,,, do they replace the whole plastic lens cover?
That might be worth doing... other than that, not sure what's the point

Per Dive-Tronix ... "The General Maintenance Service includes a new faceplate/window that comes with a new screen protector preinstalled at the factory for the Petrel 1 & 2, Perdix and Perdix AI. For the Teric we included screen protectors that can be applied by the user." Terics get a new battery. I'm sure that will apply to Peregrines once they start offering General Maintenance on those as well.

Ok that makes sense,,, what does it cost approx? Every 2 years!!!​
Maybe 8-10 years.... unless something else broke,,,,​
A faceplate protector is a bit redundant if the faceplate is readily available and reasonable....​
I do wish the screen size of the faceplate was recessed abit, but I do appreciate the simplistic design,​
Hey I could even make a petrel faceplate if I had too..​
Not a fan of built in batteries,​
Petrel 1 & 2 I like that design...
It does make it bulkier but it doesn't bother me....​

Ok that makes sense,,, what does it cost approx?​

Current cost is shipping to them (dependent upon your location and selected carrier) plus $125 to Dive-Tronix. It looks like you're in Canada? You might want to check with Shearwater. You might send it directly to them if you are in fact in Canada. All US-based service (general or repair) goes to Dive-Tronix.

Ok that makes sense,,, what does it cost approx? Every 2 years!!!​
Maybe 8-10 years.... unless something else broke,,,,​
A faceplate protector is a bit redundant if the faceplate is readily available and reasonable....​
I do wish the screen size of the faceplate was recessed abit, but I do appreciate the simplistic design,​
Hey I could even make a petrel faceplate if I had too..​
Not a fan of built in batteries,​
Petrel 1 & 2 I like that design...
It does make it bulkier but it doesn't bother me....​

I have read that the "maintinence" is different than "something broken"... so the $125+ shipping from you to them is a flat rate to swap the glass or whatever and replace / check the seals.. so if at some point it floods and stuff gets broken I don't believe that's covered for $125... someone correct me if that's wrong?

Also, I don't have an aluminum cover... no real need that I see to get one, but I also can't see where any "dissimilar metals" could touch with the case on... they look cool, but honestly too rich for my blood:)

I have read that the "maintinence" is different than "something broken"... so the $125+ shipping from you to them is a flat rate to swap the glass or whatever and replace / check the seals.. so if at some point it floods and stuff gets broken I don't believe that's covered for $125... someone correct me if that's wrong?

Also, I don't have an aluminum cover... no real need that I see to get one, but I also can't see where any "dissimilar metals" could touch with the case on... they look cool, but honestly too rich for my blood:)

Correct. General Maintenance is not repair service. Any required repair is extra if out of warranty.

DGX has a good summary of the general maintenance service: Maintenance Service, Shearwater Dive Computer

DGX does not perform the service but they will coordinate the service and payment if you wish. You can also work directly with Dive-Tronix. The service and its cost is the same regardless.

So for you US people it aprox 125$ shipping... and no cost of parts...? (Usually parts are seperate... at least in my world:wink: )
That pretty good,

So for you US people it aprox 125$ shipping... and no cost of parts...? (Usually parts are seperate... at least in my world:wink: )
That pretty good,

It is $125 flat rate including return shipping. The cost of shipping to them is extra. There are no separate parts charge for this service.

Back
Top Bottom