Shearwater Keyman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do they refuse to sell them? Doesn’t seem very smart.
I would not take that position.

While Shearwater is widely known here on Scubaboard, most recreational scuba divers are not familiar with the specifics of the brand.

There is a very low margin on Shearwater computers compared to Scubapro or Aqualung. Those that specifically want them will find a place to get them if their LDS does not carry them. Those that don't know anything about Shearwater wont be buying a low margin Shearwater over a high margin Scubapro or Aqualung computer if the Shearwater brand is not carried.

Thank you! I appreciate that you understand my goal and not being a Boomer about it :)
Since you are happy to insult Boomers as a class, I'm surprised you don't appreciate being insulted yourself.

I work in a dive world where people take care of each other. I'm sad for you that you don't.

I work in a world where we invested thousands of hours to open a shop, negotiating leases and partnerships and sunk $170k into being able to open the first day, at considerable risk to finances and relationships. So… what did you risk and why should I share the benefits of my endeavor with you who has risked nothing. Also, your boss doesn’t want to carry Shearwater because while it’s easily the best computer anywhere, the margin sucks compared to all of the other computers in his store. You diving something not in his store isn’t good for him.

Having just got keyman on a DUI suit, there was definitely a lot of paperwork involved. I needed to show that I was an instructor teaching a given number of students a year, including Dry Suit classes and other related information that shows I will influence future buyers.

And my shop had to sell DUI products and "sponsor" the application.

Shearwater might be different, but my shop sells those and never offered my a keyman price on that equipment. I don't know if Shearwater offers the program.

|Thinking purely as the consumer/customer: Do I want to pay extra to cover the cost of an "influencer" getting a discount? But I'm a hypocrite that will happily take the deal if it's on equipment I want.

There is no keyman on Shearwater

For the OP, as others have stated if the shop you work for does not carry the gear you want, you are pretty much on your own. I have worked for a local shop and as my regs are not the brand they sell, when I go in I get a rental set off the rack and use it - because it is the brand they sell. I am there to work for their business.

When I was actively teaching for a University program several of the local shops would give an independent instructor discount that cut into their bottomline. That worked because as a policy we would recommend all of the shops to students for gear so it was advertising for them and as a good relationship.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom