Shearwater Computers Linked to Same Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a radio transmission. Link is a technical term in radio, and does not apply here. Sorry for trying to be correct, like correcting the journalist that refers to "oxygen" in the tank on our back.

This was answered perfectly in post #2. In true SB style, some feigned didactism managed to drag the post count to double figures. :(

Transmitter = radio station.
Serial number = what channel it is tuned to
Shearwater = radio

Programming the shearwater with the serial number of the transmitter (pairing, linking, matching, connecting, whatever you want to call it) is just telling the Shearwater what transmitter to listen to. You don't listen to all the radio stations at the same time, you tune into a single one and listen to that.

More than one radio can listen to the same broadcast. So long as it is in range. With these transmitters, that is about 3 feet (or one meter). Like a radio, as you get to the far end of the range, the more sensitive to obstacles (a mountain for a radio, your head for the shearwater) to blocking good reception.

Transmitter = radio station.
Serial number = what channel it is tuned to
Shearwater = radio

Programming the shearwater with the serial number of the transmitter (pairing, linking, matching, connecting, whatever you want to call it) is just telling the Shearwater what transmitter to listen to. You don't listen to all the radio stations at the same time, you tune into a single one and listen to that.
The analogy breaks down. The computer does listen to all the transmitters, because they are all broadcasting on the same frequency. The computer has to decode everything it hears, but only pays attention the one signal that matches its SN with the SN it is interested in.

This was answered perfectly in post #2. In true SB style, some feigned didactism managed to drag the post count to double figures. :(
Actually, it was not answered “perfectly” or the OP would not have had to make post #3…. Regardless of the correct technical term, one has to enter a code to associate each transmitter to each computer or you won’t get the data. To me that is linking, technopolice be damned…

The word you are looking for is pairing. OP, that is how I run mine. I use one computer in dive mode and the other is run in gauge mode and both computers are paired to the one transmitter. I also have a SPG as it’s clipped out of the way and ignored for the most part.

The word you are looking for is pairing.
The problem with "pairing" is that it most often is used for BT connections to set up a rwo-way link. So it's connotations are wrong for the broadcast-receive system.

Technically, I think the right terminology is "matched filtering." All the transmissions are on the same frequency -- i.e., channel -- and but (hopefully) do not all occur at the same time, otherwise they interfere with each other and can't be decoded.q (This is the problem the Swift tries to00000000000000000000000000000000 solve by not transmitting if it hears another transmission in progress.) Because the receiver (computer) is hearing everything, it has to decode everything, but when the decoded SN matches the one it is looking for, it displays the data.

If you don't like the word pairing, take it up with Shearwater. The manual directs the owner to:

"Pair the transmitter by going to the Tx Setup menu option, and selecting T1. Turn on T1, then enter 6-digit transmitter serial number into the T1 Serial # setting. You only needed to set this one, as it will be permanently saved in the settings memory.

Back
Top Bottom