Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although you technically can use electromagnetic waves underwater, in practice it requires mile-long antennae. Or did last I looked. So I'm not sure what sort of RF they'd be using.

Oceanic only specs them to be able to maintain connection over a distance of 36"...

AERIS : FAQ_

It works just fine

Indeed it does. I was just responding to dmaziuk's implication that it can't be RF. I don't know for sure if it is, but given the limited distance they are trying to make it work, it seems like it COULD be.

Crap. Absolute crap.

I dive in caves. I dig open underwater caves. This may involve setting underwater charges, setting up scaffolding, moving boulders, drilling, hammer and chiselling, you name it, we do it.

We don't need AI.

As for your "heavy camera rig". Jill Heinarth doesn't use AI. This is because she's made her rig close to neutral, like any real underwater documenter does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe if it hampers the divers ability to use their hands. They shouldn't be using it.

Dive whatever way you like, just don't pretend it's essential.

Some of us dive in oceans, with animate objects that are beyond our control. Some of these fish can pull you through a line-infested wreck fast enough to rip your mask off.

Not claiming AI is essential, but just trying to explain to some people another viewpoint.

It's safer and more convenient, for the way I dive, to have AI. AI worked well for me diving Uwatec DC's but the wet contacts sucked. AI worked well for me diving my Uemis, but the unit died after 2 years, and the company did too. AI worked well for me diving an Oceanic VTX, but the algorithm didn't suit me. Now I'm diving a Petrel. Add AI to the Perdix and it could be the last DC I buy.

Oceanic only specs them to be able to maintain connection over a distance of 36"...

Edit: I sit corrected -- you had me read the fine manual. It mentions "low frequency signal" and "coiled antenna" as well as "temporary loss of link within 3 ft of a running DPV or shortly after a strobe flash". So yeah, EMP knocks it out, it must be EM.

Nice fish!

A thought occurred to me. If you guys like AI because you believe it can help keep you from running out of air while doing serious underwater work like big-rig photography, hunting and scootering, why don't you just carry more air instead of relying on AI to give you that edge? I don't do any kind of serious underwater work--I just dive and look at the pretty fishes. I have a good enough grip on my air consumption during the kind of diving I am accustomed to doing that I can check my gauge relatively infrequently and be pretty certain what reading I am going to see. Shouldn't you be carrying enough air for the kind of diving that YOU do--whatever that may be--that you could check your gauge only relatively infrequently? Is AI in reality just a tool to avoid carrying a sufficient reserve of air to do the kind of diving you do?

Granted, I know nothing about underwater photography, hunting and scootering. It may be that diving doubles is not feasible for, say, a stealthy hunter. It just occurred to me that maybe you guys are using what might be called an equipment solution to an equipment problem. Maybe it's not the measuring method that's inadequate for your kind of diving but rather what is being measured?

Some of us dive in oceans, with animate objects that are beyond our control. Some of these fish can pull you through a line-infested wreck fast enough to rip your mask off.

If you're entrapped in a line-infested wreck, the last thing you should be worried about is how much pressure you've got left. All of your focus should be on getting out of the entanglement and safely to that big lp tank that's available just above where the water stops. Realistically, ask yourself how much time you have to get out of the entanglement......if you think the answer is anything but "the rest of your life," you should reevaluate. How much gas you've got left is irrelevant. You either get out in time, or you don't.

If I'm in trouble, I'm not looking at my SPG until I'm safe enough that the amount of air I have left becomes the deciding factor. AI or SPG has nothing to do with that. Now I don't think AI is necessary, but I accept that some people do appreciate it. The idea that it is necessary for some people is silly, but I don't begrudge them making that choice. However, making up silly scenarios to justify use of AI is just weird. If you want AI, get it because you want it, not because of some fallacious justification.

I don't get the need to "glance at my wrist", I just glance down at the gauge clipped to my left chest ring.... look ma, no hands! :D

FWIW - I don't "need" it, I am unsure if I "want" it, but those that do, have at it.

Its a big ocean, plenty of room to share.

Enjoy your dives!

I also clip my spg to the left chest. Easy glance, no need to unclip.

I've never been trapped or entangled. And I've never been so low on air that I had to drop my gun/fish while being dragged around, and head for the surface.

I check my pressure regularly, but I also have dove enough to know that things can change in a split second, and that the air I had just before shooting a 70 pound cubera doesn't mean a thing a minute or two later.
I can check my pressure more often and more regularly if it's on my wrist. The seconds it takes to glance down at my clipped off SPG is time taken away from stalking fish, or if fish-on, from being situationally aware of what is going on around me.

You physically can't check your clipped off SPG anytime you want to, the way I dive. Having pressure on my wrist will allow me to have the data I need, at any given time, to make better decisions. If I have air/time, I can let the fish tire itself out. If air/time is getting low I can start to horse the fish in at the risk of a pull-off, bent shaft, or busted line. As mentioned, worse case, drop everything and head up - but I hope never to have had the bad judgment to be in that situation to begin with.

If you're entrapped in a line-infested wreck, the last thing you should be worried about is how much pressure you've got left. All of your focus should be on getting out of the entanglement and safely to that big lp tank that's available just above where the water stops. Realistically, ask yourself how much time you have to get out of the entanglement......if you think the answer is anything but "the rest of your life," you should reevaluate. How much gas you've got left is irrelevant. You either get out in time, or you don't.

If I'm in trouble, I'm not looking at my SPG until I'm safe enough that the amount of air I have left becomes the deciding factor. AI or SPG has nothing to do with that. Now I don't think AI is necessary, but I accept that some people do appreciate it. The idea that it is necessary for some people is silly, but I don't begrudge them making that choice. However, making up silly scenarios to justify use of AI is just weird. If you want AI, get it because you want it, not because of some fallacious justification.

You missed my point. You gave a scenario indicating that in a worst case situation, AI was beneficial. I simply pointed out that your argument was a fallacy. I don't begrudge your use of AI. Just don't tell me that you need it for some scenario as a justification for having it, when that's clearly not the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom