Shearwater announces new DiveCAN® application

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater

Contributor
Reaction score
Shearwater Research Inc. announces a new DiveCAN application

Vancouver, British Columbia November 7, 2014: Shearwater Research Inc, the leading manufacturer of dive computers and electronic control systems for rebreathers has expanded their support for DiveCAN® applications. They are pleased to announce the integration of the Diver6 diver monitoring and communication system with the Petrel and NERD display systems.

Diver6 is a revolutionary Diver and Dive Operations mobile support system. This ADVISORY system allows dive masters to monitor and track divers beneath the surface of the water for greater situational awareness. The system provides up to date information on the divers in the water allowing the dive master to make faster, safer, and more accurate decisions. All monitoring aspects of the dive are recorded and can be used for later analysis and audit. Diver6 is based on input from a broad range of real-world subject matter experts including: US Navy SEALS, EOD, and Salvage Divers; Coast Guard; public safety and commercial divers.

The integration between Shearwater and Diver6 provides greatly enhanced communication between diver and dive master. Recall alerts can now be sent to the diver and displayed on the Shearwater devices providing directional information to return to the surface vessel. The dive master can also issue an assist message which will send a diver directional information to another diver in need. Divers can issue a Diver Distress / 911 alert to notify the dive master that they are in trouble. With this integration, dive masters can now effectively react to multiple situations happening underwater.
Azimuth Inc. & Cardinal Point Captains will be displaying the Diver6 system at the DEMA Show in Las Vegas, Nevada (November 19-22) in booth #235. For more information, visit Diver6 - Diver Tracking System - Official Website. Also, visit us on Facebook (facebook.com/diver6usa) and Twitter (@diver6usa).

About Shearwater Research Inc.

Shearwater Research Inc. is a Vancouver-based manufacturer of technical diving computers and rebreather control systems. The company was founded in 2004 by its current CEO, Bruce Partridge, who combined his experience in computer systems design, embedded programming, and advanced technical diving to develop cutting-edge dive computers. Find Shearwater on Facebook and Twitter.

Interesting. Since Petrel's don't offer AI capability, I'm surprised at the idea this product can send them a signal to display. Is that via Bluetooth?

I'm having a bit of trouble picturing how this all works. Some of it, and the tablet view shown in the linked page, have me thinking you've got some sort of manager back on the boat using the product to monitor divers in the water; I'm curious as to just how much info. you've got, but does it give tank pressure in some way (AI)? Depth? So in theory a charter boat op. could keep an eye on a group of tourist divers, see if somebody sank way down, etc...

On the other hand, the term 'dive masters' and the way this announcement reads sounds like a dive guide is going to use the product to keep up with a team of divers on a project, or maybe a group of guided tourist divers, and can communicate with them on it, but I can hardly imagine a Petrel's screen is going to have the space to usefully convey all that extra info.

So, is it a guy on the boat, or a dive leader in the water, who is monitoring the divers with this system?

As for sending a diver directional info. to another diver in need, what does it send, a compass bearing? That would be different for different divers in the water. One guy you could give a bearing to another, but if they're spread out, that's another story.

I'll be interested to see some reviews of this system in action described.

Richard.

All I want is the ability to drop beacons and navigate back to them using a NERD...can't tell if that would be supported by this system or not.

The system communicates via Band C (22-27 kHz) between the diver and topside. On the diver, optional modules can communicate via DiveCAN® The tank pressure sensor is wired DiveCAN.

The application is military and commercial.

If you go to Diver6 - Diver Tracking System - Official Website and click on the Diver6 System menu, there are three tabs explaining it more.

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom