shearwater AI transmitter battery life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depressurise the regulator when not diving. The AI transmitter will then turn off. Or leave it pressurised and the battery runs down.
He knows that.

just out of curiosity how long does the ai transmitter battery normal last. as of my last dive a few days ago my battery is fine. i have a shearwater teric with the grey transmitter which has no led battery indictor. i assume when the battery is low it will notify me on the teric?
ive had it for a year now with 60 dives on it.
going to buy a battery soon to keep in my save a dive kit
cr2 if im not mistaken
also where can i find a oring for it. im finding battery oring kits but i want to buy my own battery from walmart ( quarter the price) but ill still need the oring and i cant find just an oring anywhere and cant find a part number for it
The transmitter uses a AS568-016, nitrile A70 o-ring. You can find them on Amazon and many other places online. They are really cheap, but you usually have to buy a bunch. Message me your address if you like and I'll send you some.

so i also pressurize my regs after setting on the way to the dive site. my thoughts are if something was to fail it would in the first ten minutes (well so ive been told by other divers with more experience) i know alot of divers who also do this, some in which who have 1000s of dives. but yes i see what yall are saying, by me doing this im turning an hour dive into a 2-3 hour dive
My Teric gave me a Low Battery T1 warning last week. I swapped out batteries between dives and kept on diving.

The transmitter was not that old. It was a Shearwater branded PPS one (not a Swift), and still had the original Panasonic battery in it.

It probably died somewhat prematurely from me turning on my gas and leaving it on during longer boat rides or something.

My 225 dives/hrs do not include other active time. I do not leave my system pressured most of the time.

Depressurise the regulator when not diving. The AI transmitter will then turn off. Or leave it pressurised and the battery runs down.

Hi @Karriff karim

I check my cylinder pressures soon after boarding. After setting up, and ensuring system integrity, I turn off my gas and depressurize. I turn on my gas just before donning my BC and do a check before jumping. I've done it this way for a very long time, makes sure I never jump with my gas off and preserves transmitter battery.

all of this assumes you have the transmitter that takes the CR2 battery. The battery life on the older ones that take the watch batteries is not as long. Those transmitters have a metal base vs the fully plastic ones.

i have a grey shearwater transmitter (not swift) which takes the cr2. so basically from what im getting from all this keep a cr2 battery in my save a dive kit. oring is optional at least for the first battery change.

i have a grey shearwater transmitter (not swift) which takes the cr2. so basically from what im getting from all this keep a cr2 battery in my save a dive kit. oring is optional at least for the first battery change.
It's wise to keep a small tube of silicone grease in your kit too. Put a tiny dab between your thumb and forefinger, then rub the o-ring to give it a very light coating when you replace the battery. Then replace the o-ring by rolling it back over the groove on the cap side.

i have enough silicone to last a lifetime. cristolube, the dive shop that i frequent gave me a small tube of it. enough for a good amount of emergency hose oring changes. im not banking on doing my own servicing and i expect them to use it when they put my gear back together.
It's wise to keep a small tube of silicone grease in your kit too. Put a tiny dab between your thumb and forefinger, then rub the o-ring to give it a very light coating when you replace the battery. Then replace the o-ring by rolling it back over the groove on the cap side.

Back
Top Bottom