shearwater AI transmitter battery life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k954triniz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
just out of curiosity how long does the ai transmitter battery normal last. as of my last dive a few days ago my battery is fine. i have a shearwater teric with the grey transmitter which has no led battery indictor. i assume when the battery is low it will notify me on the teric?
ive had it for a year now with 60 dives on it.
going to buy a battery soon to keep in my save a dive kit
cr2 if im not mistaken
also where can i find a oring for it. im finding battery oring kits but i want to buy my own battery from walmart ( quarter the price) but ill still need the oring and i cant find just an oring anywhere and cant find a part number for it

Going to buy a battery “soon”? You should always have a spare.

Check DGX for the O rings. I’ve been using the transmitters for several years and I’ve not changed an O ring yet. Check the manual. I think it says battery life is several hundred hours.

I've been diving a Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitter for more than 10 years with an Oceanic VT3 and now, for a little over two years with a Teric. I change the transmitter battery when I change the battery in my VT3, About 225 dives, about the same number of hours, a little over a year. I have never gotten a low transmitter battery signal from my VT3 or my Teric. I do not replace the battery compartment O-ring every battery change, something like every 2-3 changes.

All the information you asked for is in the Teric manual, you should read it.

upload_2021-9-3_9-46-44.png

upload_2021-9-3_9-47-9.png

My last transmitter battery (Duracell) on the original PPS style was 13017 dive minutes (216 hours) / 225 dives. This time does NOT include it being on the surface, but actual dive times - so even longer. I don't typically leave my regs pressurized (and thus transmitter on) for a ton of time before or after dives, but it adds up. I ran this battery until I got the "low transmitter battery warning".

I've been diving a Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitter for more than 10 years with an Oceanic VT3 and now, for a little over two years with a Teric. I change the transmitter battery when I change the battery in my VT3, About 225 dives, about the same number of hours, a little over a year. I have never gotten a low transmitter battery signal from my VT3 or my Teric. I do not replace the battery compartment O-ring every battery change, something like every 2-3 changes.

View attachment 680019

View attachment 680020
I've never seen a Low Battery signal on my Teric. Annual CR2 and o-ring change is my protocol. Cheap and easy insurance.

That’s my mistake I missed that in the manual, I never really thought about it until my buddies transmitter battery died on the boat and no one had a spare. Luckily he had his analog spg still attached. But yes I will be picking at least the battery up today and a oring will be order or get one next time I go to the dive shop. Thank you all for the info
Going to buy a battery “soon”? You should always have a spare.

Check DGX for the O rings. I’ve been using the transmitters for several years and I’ve not changed an O ring yet. Check the manual. I think it says battery life is several hundred hours.

View attachment 680019

View attachment 680020

My last transmitter battery (Duracell) on the original PPS style was 13017 dive minutes (216 hours) / 225 dives. This time does NOT include it being on the surface, but actual dive times - so even longer. I don't typically leave my regs pressurized (and thus transmitter on) for a ton of time before or after dives, but it adds up. I ran this battery until I got the "low transmitter battery warning".

I've never seen a Low Battery signal on my Teric. Annual CR2 and o-ring change is my protocol. Cheap and easy insurance.

My Teric gave me a Low Battery T1 warning last week. I swapped out batteries between dives and kept on diving.

The transmitter was not that old. It was a Shearwater branded PPS one (not a Swift), and still had the original Panasonic battery in it.

It probably died somewhat prematurely from me turning on my gas and leaving it on during longer boat rides or something.

My Teric gave me a Low Battery T1 warning last week. I swapped out batteries between dives and kept on diving.

The transmitter was not that old. It was a Shearwater branded PPS one (not a Swift), and still had the original Panasonic battery in it.

It probably died somewhat prematurely from me turning on my gas and leaving it on during longer boat rides or something.
My 225 dives/hrs do not include other active time. I do not leave my system pressured most of the time.

My 225 dives/hrs do not include other active time. I do not leave my system pressured most of the time.

I try not to. But, I always pressurize the regs when I assemble the unit (at the dock, when possible) to verify no leaks and check the cylinder pressure. Sometimes, I turn off the gas but forget to depressurize the line. Sometimes, I forget to turn off the gas...

Depressurise the regulator when not diving. The AI transmitter will then turn off. Or leave it pressurised and the battery runs down.

Back
Top Bottom