Shears & rusting pivot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all-

I'm looking to pick up a pair of EMT shears, and I see that many of you don't worry about rusting pivots...instead you just throw out the shears & buy another pair. Heck, they're cheap enough.

BUT, then I saw these shears at Dive Rite Express. They say "stainless steel throughout," and if that's truly the case, $15 wouldn't be bad for longlasting shears plus the sheath.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Jim

Eventually I'll be replacing the shears I have now.... slowly rusting pivot. I'm also curious about the all stainless shears mentioned above. I'd been leaning toward the do-it-yourself solution to replace the rivet with a stainless bolt and nut... but I might part with $15 to get a ready made deal.

I bought some all stainless trimmers at a garden store, but they won't clip small rope or line... so they'll end up triming branches (in the yard) as the designers intended. I may try some made by Fiskars. Those Finns seem to make a darn fine pair of scissors. I bet they also make a fine clipper.

GoBlue!:
Hey all-

I'm looking to pick up a pair of EMT shears, and I see that many of you don't worry about rusting pivots...instead you just throw out the shears & buy another pair. Heck, they're cheap enough.

BUT, then I saw these shears at Dive Rite Express. They say "stainless steel throughout," and if that's truly the case, $15 wouldn't be bad for longlasting shears plus the sheath.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Jim

Hey Jim. I bought these exact shears through Dive Rite a few weeks ago and have put them into salt water on probably 10 dives with fresh water cleaning within an hour of the dives. They're not super rusted, but the pivots are definitely corroding. You may want to try something like this fog cutter. It's a bigger tool, and certainly more expensive, but they've seemed like a great tool when I've had the opportunity to handle them.

I just picked up a pair of shears at Horbor Freight today. They were $3.99, don't seem to stick to a magnet and have fairly large, but not gigantic finger holes. They are called "Super Shears" and are part number P36900

About once a year, I just leave the shears in a glass of coke for a couple of days. That removes enough rust that is no longer stains everything around it, and I can also do a good inspection to ensure it is mechanically sound.

Even though the "Sea Snips" (tm) are obviously targeted for divers, the center pivot rusts.

Does anybody have a source of one that doesn't rust, even if abused by not being rinsed after every dive?

My prior post about the HF shears was wrong. The thing to which the shears would not stick turned out not to be a manget after all. They stuck to a real magnet just fine. They will therefore rust. Sorry for any mis-info.

ItsBruce:
The thing to which the shears would not stick turned out not to be a magnet after all. They stuck to a real magnet just fine. They will therefore rust.
Even some non-magnetic stainless steel will rust if used in saltwater, so not sticking to a magnet isn't a guarantee that it won't rust in saltwater. OTOH, if it sticks to a magnet, then it will definitely rust.

$3 - $5 once or twice a year takes a long time to each $60 for fog cutter or others

The problem with the rusting pivot is that it may look and work ok on land and then break underwater. I drilled out the pivot and replaced it with a stainless steel bolt and nut.

I carry the knife in its sheath on my left shoulder strap, blades facing up with finger loops down. I carry a medium knife on my left wrist console (for my right hand) and a large knife on my outside left thigh (for my left hand). Both knives sharpened the night before.

My wife is a nurse and she brought me a pair of surgical shears home a few years ago and I have to admit I don't rinse them out and they haven't rusted yet. The finger holes could be a little larger, but beggers can't be choosers. They are small enough to keep in my BCD pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom