Ideas for cable shears sheath needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre171

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I recently picked up a tool named cable cutter in a local hw store. I liked the Idea of some heavy duty shears with a blunt tip and no outside blades. The blunt tip looks like a good scratching tool, too.
The tool is claimed to be rust proof, but anyway I changed for a real stainless steel screw & nut and also lubricated the shears. Seems to hold on for quite a couple of salty dives. It would also work without the spring.

Now I have run out of ideas for a proper sheath. Without any experience with kydex I cannot tell if this works with the plastic handles. ??

Has someone an idea or is also using a simmilar tool? Any input is apprechiated.

Attachments

• IMG_20220203_213658~2.jpg
    IMG_20220203_213658~2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20220203_213713~2.jpg
    IMG_20220203_213713~2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 62
Try finding a hose with the right diameter and flexibility. Press the tool in so the diameter deforms to obround, which will temporarily secure the tool. I like to add a bungee loop that fits around my wrist for small tools. That same loop can be hooked around the bottom of your improvised sheath to lock it.

The loop lets you work, especially in an emergency, without concern for loosing the tool or dominating a hand you might need in a hurry. We used firehose for larger tool holsters in the commercial diving industry. Many of these were mounted to a tool stage rather than on the diver.

How about a pouch to store it in ? HOG utility pouch from
Diver’s Supply about $15 with drain holes. Don’t forget to rinse and lubricate post dive.

Many hand tools have a loop of metal (like a thick wire) that attaches to the end of one handle and loops around to the other side of the same handle. Then you can rotate it in and out of a small notch cut into the other side. It would be easy to put something like that on it with a drill and saw/dremel/other cutting tool. You'd just need to find like a .5mm piece of stainless or brass rod and bend it appropriately.

Here's kind of an example of what I'm talking about, except they skipped the notch on the opposing handle.

Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 14-24-16 NUZAMAS Heavy Duty Tin Snips Straight Cut, thin Steel Sheet ...png

Heck, you might be able to get away with drilling a hole on one side and attaching a metal keyring, along with a cut notch on the other side. Only trouble would be finding a keyring made of something other than rust.

IMG_20220203_213658_2.jpg

and here's to 7460 more

Similar tool great for cutting out fishing lures,
20220205_081459.jpg

My holster is definitely DIR,
But works quite well on the crotch strap,
Need to change the upper bungee a bit lower, but haven't lost it yet,,,
20220205_081442.jpg
20220205_081435.jpg

Thank you all for the great input. I try them all and look for what fits best for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom