Shaving and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the entire bikini area, shave in the direction of hair growth, not against, like you probably normally would.
Also, shave with small "taps", rather than long strokes.

Those should eliminate bumps and irritation.

Better yet, try laser. It's the best, carefree way to go! :)

Ayisha:
For the entire bikini area, shave in the direction of hair growth, not against, like you probably normally would.
I find that stroking against the growth provides the closest shave.

herbsuperb, you look like a terrorist today. maybe you should shave.

I have to agree with the recommendation to look into laser hair removal! It's the best thing I've ever done, starting with the bikini line, adding underarms, and am now finishing having my legs done. It is amazingly liberating not to have to shave anymore. :D

I had about six/seven Alase treatments and all it did was thin out the hair, it still grows it's just not as thick. Anyway, to shave I use ActiveCare by Edge. Actually Bruce uses it on me (I know, TMI). IF I do get any razor burn "Surfer's Salve" takes away the burn. You can get it at http://handmade-soap.com/soap/lipbalms_main.asp. It's also great for bug bites, sunburn, etc.

Guys can go against the growth on their faces. Ladies, go with the growth, less likely to get razor bumps.

k8brandt:
I had about six/seven Alase treatments and all it did was thin out the hair, it still grows it's just not as thick. Anyway, to shave I use ActiveCare by Edge. Actually Bruce uses it on me (I know, TMI). IF I do get any razor burn "Surfer's Salve" takes away the burn. You can get it at http://handmade-soap.com/soap/lipbalms_main.asp. It's also great for bug bites, sunburn, etc.

Guys can go against the growth on their faces. Ladies, go with the growth, less likely to get razor bumps.

I only saw those Alase treatments in the WashingtonDC area. Are they a national thing? I also have heard that laser is better on darker hair. Is this true? I'm a natural blond blond and was told that the laser would probably not be a good treatment for me. Any suggestions?

Alaska diver, the newer machines can do all hair and skin type combinations.

The older machines could not do dark hair with dark skin or light hair with light skin - because the laser could not easily differentiate between the hair and skin. The new machines can do blonde hair with fair skin.

I've had excellent results with laser on my underarms, bikini, and legs. It was a little expensive, but well worth it. In the long run, I have saved all the waxing money I would have been spending...

Buyer beware for laser hair removal. Not all laser machines are equivalent. Some simply singe the hair and do nothing for permanent hair removal. You must look into the type of machine and the wavelength to know what you're getting. Laser clinics are popping up all over the place - they're not all effective. :wink:

Dherbman, a close shave can also give a woman with sensitive skin ingrown hair. Going with the hair growth will help prevent ingrowns for those women who suffer from them.

The areas that are lasered become incredibly smooth, like a baby's skin. I have dry skin in general, but my lasered areas stay extremely soft and smooth. Love it!

I have always had a problem with getting irritation bumps and in-grown hairs along my swimsuit line - I tried just about everything but laser hair removal. Bikini Zone works okay for me, but then I saw an ad for Tend Skin http://www.tendskin.com/ in an outdoor magazine. I called for a free sample - this stuff really works well for me. If I use it immediately after shaving and make sure tha I only shave with fairly fresh blades, I have no more irriatation/bumps at all. I think that it is a little expensive, but an 8 ounce bottle has lasted me several months.

Jackie

I used to get horrible red bumps and irritation after shaving my bikini line and felt like I tried every product on earth to sooth the rash (didn't try tendskin though). That's what actually prompted me to go for the laser hair removal, and the only disappointment I have is that I didn't do it years earlier. :wink:

Ayisha is 100% correct though, you really have to do homework and check out the place you're considering having it done. My clinic has 2 lasers, one being a Gentlase which has great reviews on-line. They also treat other skin conditions and must have a true laser to do so. It is important to ask if they use "true lasers", not just "bright light wands". Laser isn't cheap (I paid $299 for my bikini line on sale--Brazilian would have been $399), but it is worth every penny IMO. :D

No big true laser outfits are up in Alaska yet. The smaller ones are just getting started. I think the nearest location is Seattle for the big ones (i.e LUX). That would be a $400 RT ticket plus costs for each visit - yikes. I'll wait. They'll be up here within a year or so. Thaks for the great info though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom