Sharm El-Sheikh F.A.Q.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

four_engines:
1. How much should I set aside for my accomodation if I wish to stay in a 3 star hotel?

This very much depends. You should book the hotel through the tour operator becasue then prices are much lower...

four_engines:
2. Any nice hotel to recommend? Budget is about USD 60 per night.

60$ per person or per double room? It should be enough but - see the answer to the first question

four_engines:
3. What is a reasonable price to pay for 1 day of say 3 dives?

normally they offer 2 dives per day. the price is between 50 - 70 $ for 2 dives

four_engines:
4. Which are the best dive sites from Sharm?

Tiran islands, Ras Mohammad - these are top of the top

four_engines:
5. What is the modus operandi of the dive operators there? Do they pick you up from the hotel if it's in Naama Bay? Do the dive boats have warm showers?

Yes, diving centres are picking their guest although with the hotel in Naama this may be a problem because cars are not allow to enter Naama so the procedure is that you will have to walk to Peace Road (the main street) and being picked up from there.
They don't have warm water showers on boats. Some boats have cold sweet water showers

four_engines:
6. I'm going there in April so what's the water temperature and how thick a wet suit should I be wearing?

5mm is asolutly enough - at the end of April water temperature is around 26 - 28 Centigrades

four_engines:
7. Are 3-4 days enough for Sharm? I've got a total of 9 days in Egypt. Suggested itinerary is always welcomed!

Well - for me it's not enough. But you can have one day trip to Tiran, then the second day trip to Ras Mohammad, third day some of the local dives (Temple, Far Garden are the best). Then I would move to Cairo, visit their museum and go to Gaza - another 3 - 4 days. Or go to Luxor and Hurghada - and then one more day of diving in Hurghada - Giftuns are obligatory

four_engines:
8. And of course, any dive operators to recommend?

Well there are plenty of them but most of us reccomend Camel diving centre, Blue Sea, emporers - you have to search the threads

four_engines:
And, if there's any other information that may be useful, let me know too!

check another sticky that's here with tips for all going to Egypt - quite a bit of information is there.

Hello four engines,
- 1st of all, if u're REALLY into diving, then 5 days of diving in Sharm El-sheikh would be a minimum.
- I can advise u a good package in a 3+ stars hotel and a 5 stars diving operator 35Euro per night and 60Euro per day diving (including 2 dives + tanks + guiding + transferes from/to hotel) - NO HIDDEN FEES.
- ur plan can be as follows: 2 days (4 dives) in Ras Mohamed - 2 days (4 dives) in Tiran island - 1 day (2 dives) Local .. still u can do a night dive, the shipwreck of Thistlegorm, or Diving in Dahab.
- Water temperature would be between 26-28 u won't need more than a 3 or 5 mm. wetsuit .. and the shower water on the boat normally takes the air temperature which is 3-4 more degrees .. so, u can say "yes, shower water is warmed up:)"
- If u're interested for more information about the offer i told u about, please let me know so i can Private Message u about the details.

mania:
This very much depends. You should book the hotel through the tour operator becasue then prices are much lower...

60$ per person or per double room? It should be enough but - see the answer to the first question

Good tip! Thanks Mania! I'll check with the dive ops on the hotel rates!

mania:
normally they offer 2 dives per day. the price is between 50 - 70 $ for 2 dives

Tiran islands, Ras Mohammad - these are top of the top

Well - for me it's not enough. But you can have one day trip to Tiran, then the second day trip to Ras Mohammad, third day some of the local dives (Temple, Far Garden are the best).

How do Shark and Yolanda Reefs compare with those you've mentioned?

Also. I managed to contact a few of the dive ops but they ALL require us to do the first day of diving in "local waters". What does "local waters" mean? Is the SOP among the dive ops in Sharm? Is there much to see "local waters"? I hope it's not too inferior to sites like Ras Mohammad and Tiran Islands?

mania:
Yes, diving centres are picking their guest although with the hotel in Naama this may be a problem because cars are not allow to enter Naama so the procedure is that you will have to walk to Peace Road (the main street) and being picked up from there.
They don't have warm water showers on boats. Some boats have cold sweet water showers

Shucks, no cars in Naama Bay huh? So is it a long walk to Peace Road?

mania:
5mm is asolutly enough - at the end of April water temperature is around 26 - 28 Centigrades

We'll be there first week of April so I'd say it's about 24-26? I guess a 5 mm is doable at that temp.

mania:
Then I would move to Cairo, visit their museum and go to Gaza - another 3 - 4 days. Or go to Luxor and Hurghada - and then one more day of diving in Hurghada - Giftuns are obligatory

Well there are plenty of them but most of us reccomend Camel diving centre, Blue Sea, emporers - you have to search the threads

check another sticky that's here with tips for all going to Egypt - quite a bit of information is there.

Great, I will definitely keep these tips in mind. Hope to hear from you soon!

F/E

four_engines:
How do Shark and Yolanda Reefs compare with those you've mentioned?

They are part of Ras Mohammad National Park

four_engines:
Also. I managed to contact a few of the dive ops but they ALL require us to do the first day of diving in "local waters". What does "local waters" mean? Is the SOP among the dive ops in Sharm? Is there much to see "local waters"? I hope it's not too inferior to sites like Ras Mohammad and Tiran Islands?

Yes they do this because for them it's a check dive before going to more advance sites. Local dives are generally along the shore. Some of them I like as I wrote - Far and Mid Garden and Temple.

four_engines:
Shucks, no cars in Naama Bay huh? So is it a long walk to Peace Road?

Depends which hotel but normally it's not more than 5 -10 minutes

four_engines:
We'll be there first week of April so I'd say it's about 24-26? I guess a 5 mm is doable at that temp.

5mm will be OK. If you get cold easily take a hood

Have a great time
Mania

Thanks Mania. Just a few more questions for everyone.

- Do most people stay simply in Dive Resorts when they're intending to dive? Or do they stay in non-diving specific resorts and get the dive op to pick them up from there?

- Would appreciate feedback on these hotels in Sharm El-Sheikh:
- Crowne Plaza
- Kanabesh
- Emperor Dive Resort

Thanks once again!

F/E

four_engines:
- Do most people stay simply in Dive Resorts when they're intending to dive? Or do they stay in non-diving specific resorts and get the dive op to pick them up from there?
I never stay in the hotel where my diving centre is located. Every dive centre picks their guests, so you may stay in any hotel you want to.

four_engines:
- Would appreciate feedback on these hotels in Sharm El-Sheikh:
- Crowne Plaza
- Kanabesh
- Emperor Dive Resort
Honestly - I don't know these hotels so can't be much help, sorry. Do you know where they are located (which part of Sharm) as this may be an important piece of information, mainly because of the distance from there to jetties...

Mania

mania:
Honestly - I don't know these hotels so can't be much help, sorry. Do you know where they are located (which part of Sharm) as this may be an important piece of information, mainly because of the distance from there to jetties...

Mania

Crowne Plaza is in Pacha Bay while Kanabesh is in Naama Bay. Comments please?

F/E

OK,
I have no idea where Pacha bay is - in fact never heard of it.the only Pacha I know in sharm is pacha Night Club but this is not what you are talking about
:D
But because part of the Nabq bay belongs to Pacha so maybe they started calling it pacha bay???
RSD and RSS HELP!!!!!
Anyway - if this is Nabq - don't take it. It's so far away form the city.....
Naama is OK. Naama as you could read from other threads is the tourists centre of Sharm. And not that far away from Travco marina which is the main jetty. Sharks bay (the second jetty) is also not far away.

mania:
OK,
I have no idea where Pacha bay is - in fact never heard of it.the only Pacha I know in sharm is pacha Night Club but this is not what you are talking about
:D
But because part of the Nabq bay belongs to Pacha so maybe they started calling it pacha bay???
RSD and RSS HELP!!!!!
Anyway - if this is Nabq - don't take it. It's so far away form the city.....
Naama is OK. Naama as you could read from other threads is the tourists centre of Sharm. And not that far away from Travco marina which is the main jetty. Sharks bay (the second jetty) is also not far away.

The Crowne Plaza is between Naama and the airport.
Kanabesh is in the center of Naama, just infront of Pasha and Tche Tche.

Red Sea Shadow:
The Crowne Plaza is between Naama and the airport.
Kanabesh is in the center of Naama, just infront of Pasha and Tche Tche.

Thanks Red Sea Shadow. Does that mean that Crowne Plaza is far from all the amenities? How long a walk to the centre of town?

F/E

Back
Top Bottom