Shark Teeth Dive Trip Summary (Venice, FL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dorado

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
New to the board. Just moved to FL <1yr ago and finally went on a dive trip which of course reignited my interest to get out MUCH more frequently.

Did a 3 tank dive trip with Aquanutz out of Venice with Captain Mike. It was my first time diving for shark teeth so have nothing to compare it to but I will say that I had a blast.

We met the boat at 7:45am at a marina in Venice. The party consisted of 6 divers, Captain Mike, and his assistant Mark. While we motored out Mark pulled out a box of different types of fossils to review what they are as well as what to look for & search methodology which was helpful.

The first dive was on a spot Cpt Mike called 'Disneyland' that had a wealth of smaller fossilized teeth (lemons, hemi's, etc). I found the center piece of what would have been a NICE 5"+ meg and a second partially broken 2-3" meg as well as a bunch of smaller teeth.

The second & third dives were on spots more likely to produce megs as those are what most people are interested in finding. I came away with 7 megs, one hemi, a horse molar, and a dugong rib bone with a deep gouge along the entire side (likely from getting chomped by a meg).

Being brand new to this sort of diving I followed the advice of Mike & Mark and I believe I had the most success in terms of my fossil haul. The boat provided snacks of different sorts (fruit, crackers, candy, etc) which was nice between dives. All the spots we dove were 30' and in total I had almost 4.5 hours of bottom time (ample opportunity to look around).

The trip was great and I'd recommend it to anyone. I now have a collection of 3-10 million year old megolodon teeth and a bunch of other teeth/fossils.

Interesting report. How was the visibility,and how did you "dig-out" the teeth. Did you use scooters for dredging? And,...how many dentists were diving ? Just had to ask... :wink:

20180506_184408.jpg
It was a good day for vis according to the captain, I'd say 20 feet. The vast majority of fossils I collected were laying on the surface, everyone was using their hands. I fanned the bottom a little to try to see if anything was hiding below sediment. The Venice area is unique because a river used to flow through there and eroded the earth away to reveal the fossils. The constant churning of the ocean bottom by storms keeps uncovering new fossils. No dentists on the trip which is good because I am a bit of an anti-dentite.

There isn't much to look at down there and there is quite a bit of suspended ick.

View attachment 459412
There isn't much to look at down there and there is quite a bit of suspended ick.

The official (and polite) term is "Whale Snot".

I'm doing a beach dive out there tomorrow morning, assuming the rain holds off another day. I've been thinking conditions should be good right now, thx for confirming it!

VENF1 is showing water temp to be 76, is that accurate?

Congrats on the finds.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom