Shark Off the Menu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I applaud the restaurant and sincerely wish we had more sharks in the water. They are scarce, especially here in the Keys.

Liked their FB page, and thanked 'em!

Kick back to the thread list and look at the posts for sharks off of Jupiter and then tell me that sharks are in short supply.

ummm, google "shark populations"
some studies show we have lost up to 80% of the worlds shark reserves. I suppose global warming and climate change is a bunch of BS too, huh?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=17.744536,-64.705829

Kick back to the thread list and look at the posts for sharks off of Jupiter and then tell me that sharks are in short supply.

Yes parts of Florida are blessed with large shark populations at specific times of the year. There have been many articles about discoveries of shark nurseries and migratory wintering in Florida. So yes Florida has sharks in plenty. This said, not eating them is probably a good idea as the sharks are probably congregating from all over making it seem like there are a lot, and then there is the Mercury issue. High grade tuna has .33 ppm, an average shark has three times that. The EPA recommends not eating it.

As for the restaurant, if they really did stop serving it, good for them! I'll be posting this story on Facebook Ocean News and sharing with my shark conservationist friends.

I'd have told you to mind our own business and if you didn't want to eat shark meat don't order it. There's no shortage of sharks. This is one of the most outlandish stories I have ever heard.
Are you for real? Or just trolling. Google "shark populations" or "why healthy oceans need sharks" or "project aware" or "decline in shark population bad for scallops and other bivalves" or "decline in shark population and algae on reef system"

Props to the guys at Sharkbite Grill who, non-divers though they may be, now know more than you do about the word's oceans. And many thanks to Amy Lesh of Jupiter Dive Center and Project Aware for taking the lead in a positive and informative way..

Garrobo...I'll never take another of your post seriously again. clearly you live with your head in the sand.

I called them and spoke with the manager. They are now selling freshwater fish from Vietnam produced in aquaculture ponds.

I think I would much rather eat, domestically caught shark from a local fishery that is tightly regulated by the state and federal government, compared to eating imported, frozen fish from across the world.

But to tell the truth, I never order fish at a restaurant, I get my own and it is always much better than what I can buy.

Tilapia? :crafty:

nope, some other name that I did not recognize.

nope, some other name that I did not recognize.
I stopped on my way home and ordered the (now) fish bites. They were really good. I didn't recognize the name either. It was kind of loud and the odd name didn't take inme brain.

It reminded me in taste and texture of sheepshead. Very small thin pieces just touched with what tasted like a very light tempura batter. The fish then is flash fried. The dipping sauce they provided was superb. The prep would be perfect for lion fish. But most of lion fish available commercially is quickly purchased by the Breakers in Palm Beach.

The food has improved considerably since the first week. I imagine there was a bit of a learning curve. I'll be back. I hope they do well. The Dive Bar opened last year in Jupiter on the River Walk. Now a Bubba Gump is opening on the inlet across from the lighthouse and the guy who ownes the rights to the Spanish galleon discovered just outside the Jupiter inlet is opening the Ship Wreck Bar and Grill where the old Jupiter Crab was located. Also heard that one of the chefs from the Reef Grill and Food Shack is opening his own joint. I wish them all well.

Might not be a good idea for you guys there since you can actually eat there but I just called and thanked them. Apparently they have a facebook page so will post a thanks there in the next day or so.

I had to go into work a couple hours this afternoon. The most direct route home takes me past the place so I stopped in for an early supper and two icy Stella drafts. I had my I-pad and shared this thread and a couple Facebook stories. I said "you're getting positive press around the world." At that the bartender replied "I know. We had a call from Pennsylvania."

Your call had a very positive impact Jim. A new business in a competitive market, changeing direction (and theme as well as their signature dish) so early in the game I'm sure was stressful. Their public opening was only about two weeks ago. February 9 th.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom