Shark kills South African spear fisherman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
These days I still see the occasional ab, but it has been years since I've seen a blue shark while underwater.

Thats because they all end up in Chinatown. In Soup. :wink:

Okay, that's not PC but ... it's almost lunch and I'm hungry ...

dannobee:
Time to cull that one, just like we would an elephant or bear who attacked and killed somebody.

and pray, tell, how will anyone be able to identify that particular shark?

one of the problems in the wake of these attacks is the indiscrimante killing
of a bunch of sharks, with a really good chance that the attacking shark
won't even be around anymore.

H2Andy:
and pray, tell, how will anyone be able to identify that particular shark?

That shark will be the one towing the stringer buoy and speargun shaft still stuck in its side.

Joe

ps>not condoning the killing, just pointing out that they have already seen it cruising around with these decorations

well... i knew that...

it was ... a trick question?

:11:

seriously, then it sounds like at least this time the my actually have a chance of
getting rid of the shark invloved and there won't be wholesale killing

mike_s:
You are acutally more likely to be killed by a candy vending machine falling on you than you are by a shark attack.
Not in the ocean.

DiveGolfSki:
Thanks, didn't know that. It's not illegal in many parts of the world though. I'm not sure what advantage it gives you though. Those buggers are fast. :wink:

Finally, someone's focused on the issue. What do you mean by "targeted by agencies" and what agencies.

Ditto on that sentiment.

To clarify, with agencies I mean, any Tom dick or Harry with a boat (sea worthiness optional) that is willing to make money from people wanting to view sharks up-close. Ok I might be overly sensitive on this but I am very against chumming (and my name is Harry so I take it personal - lol :wink:
By targeted I mean Cape Town is already a tourist destination and the boat operators are cashing in on this. They would probably have just as much success in taking their business to an area away from where swimming, snorkeling or scuba takes place.
As I said, in my very uneducated opinion - the whole SA coast is prime shark property, and continued chumming in one area is helping the charters and not the bathers.

drbill:
Gee, I didn't realize any poachers or "hunters" shot lions, elephants and rhinos while wearing SCUBA gear. Very interesting. Just teasing you of course.

And for Hunting game with scuba gear – some dolt might actually try this and hide in a water hole, only to get eaten by a crocodile. “Quick – grab your torches lets go kill us some MAN EATING CROCODILES”

This is nuts. I thought diving in the San Francisco Bay Area was crazy. South Africans are some brave souls.

If anyone's interested, there's a lot more to shark vs scuba on this site:

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/index.html

Here's a new one:

Possible Shark Attack In NJ
Boy Probably Bitten By Great White

Jun 8, 2005 8:16 am US/Eastern
SURF CITY (AP) It could be New Jersey's first shark attack in 30 years.

A 17-year-old surfer, Ryan Horton, was catching some waves near Surf City on Long Beach Island when he felt a pain in his ankle he described as being hit by a baseball bat.

Horton paddled back to shore, and his brother took him to the hospital. There his bloody wound, about three and a half inches long and one inch wide, was sewn up with more than 50 stitches.

The surfer never saw what got him, but his mom sent a picture of the bite to a shark expert in Florida.

The verdict? The expert said it was a classic shark bite, probably from a young great white.

Surf City officials say from time to time shark encounters are inevitable living by the ocean.

Suffice to say, GWS are a major risk in the Pacific coast and, apparently SA WITHOUT chumming. Chumming for them kinda seems like NJ residents complaining about bears in their backyard eating their bird feed or garbage... Does a Bear Eat in the woods ...

:jaws:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom