Shark kills South African spear fisherman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, he wasted no time removing that left hand..lol

Andy, sugar coating was the wrong word to use..my bad.

I think the majority of people know shark attacks are rare, that's exactly why they make the news. A few summers ago there seemed like an outbreak of shark attacks, when in fact the numbers that year were lower then previous years. The media does add to the ignorance...but all the original poster did was post the article..he/she didnt mention never wanting to go back in the water again...it's a news worthy story.
Darwin award? Probably not, unless they were sport fishing and not feeding the families. I mean come on, really, spear fishing in a great whites territory...must be for income. :)

H2Andy:
it's not sugar-coating, it's perspective

simply because every single time a shark hurts someone makes the news,
the coverage obscures how rare deaths due to shark attack really are

of course, statistics don't matter when your son is killed by a shark,
but that wasn't my point. a lot more sons are killed by automobiles,
and those parents grieve just as much.

Comparing mortality rates of those killed by Sharks with those killed in Auto's is rather pointless. I'm sure if one compared mortality rates for those skin diving in Great White infested waterers while spear fishing the statistics would be rather different, but would still be rather pointless.

On the lighter side, I also belive that if sharks had newpapers, the mortality rate resulting in human interaction would be rather high. We are a rather dangerous lot, so to speak.

I also wonder if the new shark repelling gear could have helped this diver. Rather impossible to speculate.

RonFrank:
Comparing mortality rates of those killed by Sharks with those killed in Auto's is rather pointless.

well... can you deny that a whole lot more people die every day in the US
as a result of car crashes (116) than are killed in a year by sharks (7)?

that is the point. shark deaths receive media coverage completely out of
proportion to their incidence rates.

or to put it another way:

how many things that kill less than 10 people a year have you seen in the news
lately?

The shark went after the fish most likely. Did it attack the spear fishermen or the fish themselves. If the fish were attached to the free divers on a short stringer, we can't tell whether it went after the fish or the divers first.

mike_s:
You are actually more likely to be killed by a candy vending machine falling on you than you are by a shark attack.
Unless you're in the water, then I think the odds reverse. Just guessing. :D

H2Andy:
how many things that kill less than 10 people a year have you seen in the news
lately?

If it kills less than ten people a year, it's almost CERTAIN to be in the news.

It's the thousands that die of the other stuff they ignore, but anthrax, bird flu, mad cow, terrorism, serial killers, and the other stuff where your chances of getting nailed are extremely slim that makes the headline, along with lots of juicy (costly) "prevention" tips so you can wrap yourself in a secure safety bubble before dashing out to the store after a couple of brews and not bothering to buckle yourself in...

And if someone dies of getting eaten by something, really look out!!! That's international news.

I have to admit that spearfishing in landlord country makes me nervous, thus I bring my camera along so if the guys spearfishing around me get tagged and live, they'll have a cool film series to impress the chicks that goes along with the scars. :wink:

Saipanman:
Article about an underwater hunter on SCUBA offshore of Cape Town. You can figure out the rest.

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=618012005

They estimate the length of the Great White at 20 feet!

this article said they were scuba divers, i thought you couldn't spear and scuba?

it also said police divers were looking for his body.......sod that for a game of soldiers!

2 Bar:
I have been on a shark feeding dive in Nassau and loved it. But your bear feeding comparison makes sense. It's not natural for sharks to get food that way, so somewhere down the line the ecosystem is being tweaked.

Just curious. If you which would you liked changed first: shark feeding or hunting sharks for fin soup or making swimmers feel safe? I'm not being sarcastic. This is a true thought.

I'm not completely familiar with the whole shark fin soup controversy other than to know it tastes great and is very expensive in Asian restaurants. Like any natural resource, the key word is sustainability. If fins are coming from sharks that are plentiful, why not harvest them (less for them to eat me :wink: ). Unfortunately, high prices can combine with greed to produce disastrous results. Rhinos are slaughtered not for their meat but for their horns, sharks for their fins.

As for the shark feeding, that unfortunately doesn't reduce the "herd" but actually inspires a whole pre-occupation with sharks by thrill seekers (can't they simply stick to dry land pursuits). The accident in S. Africa may be an unfortunate by-product of shark feeding/baiting. Though I don't think anyone has truly established a direct corollary between the two but artificially attracting GWS's into an area may not be the brightest think to do. Worse, spear fishing diving in an area frequented by GWS may not be smart either.

What priority do I prefer, obviously uncontrolled harvesting of sharks for their fins but both should not be encouraged. The BIGGEST problem I have is when PADI decides shark feeding is a good thing but that may be topic for another thread.

South Africa diver swallowed whole by great white shark says witness