Shark kills South African spear fisherman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted the article above in the Shark Form and will try to move it here. If you noticed the highlighted section in the Cyber News article, the issue appears to be shark feeding in the area for thrill seekers willing to pay top dollar to be in a cage with Great Whites feeding around them.

I'm not not sure if anyone has proven that the shark attack was directly caused by the shark feeding but attracting GWS to an area sort of changes the neighborhood don't you think? If anything, the laws of probability starts becoming an issue. :jaws:

gfisher4792:

That reminded me of the scene from "Jaws," what with the bouy trailing and all.

Sounds like it's time to go fishing with a "DuPont spinner" (aka a stick of dynamite). Then the fishermen will be the ones answering the question, "What scientific reason do you have for killing the shark?" "Revenge."

It sounded like the divers tried to do it right (if there is a "right" way to go spearfishing in waters known to have white sharks), with a trailing game bag, but the shark still ate one of them. Time to cull that one, just like we would an elephant or bear who attacked and killed somebody.

clive francis:
this article said they were scuba divers, i thought you couldn't spear and scuba?

Why can't you spear and scuba? Is that a law in S. Africa?

That cage attack is described on a thread here somewhere. It had to do with somebody on the boat trailing the line with the bait fish carcass over the cage float and the shark lunging for it and biting the float.

Sounds a lot more vicious as a bit of background in the CNN article, doesn't it?

Sorry to hear about any diver diving, but it's a calculated risk in those waters. Lots of big animals very close to shore. Been there, seen enough to keep me from getting wet. Let's just hope we don't get a bunch of neanderthals out for a hunting party...

Mr Mocke said "bounty hunts" would thin out the great white population which has grown over the past 15 years and allow a three-mile stretch of water at False Bay to be made totally safe for swimming. Found Here

That's right. Killing sharks in this area will clear a three mile stretch of water. Because sharks will automatically know that this is a restricted area. And since they know that, they would never enter the area again.

I see this statement as totally ludicrous. How stupid can this guy be to believe that sharks will never come back into this area to feed? Remove the predator and the prey population increases. A great way to attract predators.....increase their food source.

Joe

that need to be culled are the dullards who propose bounties and shark derbies as a reaction to this event.

If you hike in Alaska wearing a pork chop necklace, don't get upset if the grizzlies find you attractive...

cyklon_300:
that need to be culled are the dullards who propose bounties and shark derbies as a reaction to this event.

If you hike in Alaska wearing a pork chop necklace, don't get upset if the grizzlies find you attractive...

Interesting analogy. In this case, the spear fisherman was in an area where shark feeding is common. So if you hike in Alaska in an area where bait is left for bears, who's fault is it? The shark? The Bear?

DiveGolfSki:
Why can't you spear and scuba? Is that a law in S. Africa?

Good day.

First of I would like to send my condolences to the family and friends for the loss.

Spear Fishing in South Africa when wearing scuba gear is illegal. The thought behind it as, I understand, is that the scuba gear puts you at an advantage over the fish.
I am all for this, it would be nice though if the silly buggers in our government can extend the same courtesy to the lions, elephant and rhino. But that is a different story.

I agree with the other posts that spear fishing in shark territory is calling for getting added to the next list of the Darwin awards. I should point out though that the whole of the south African coastline is ‘shark territory’ the Cape town area has though been targeted by agencies, chumming the water to please thrill seeking tourist in the opportunity to see a great white up close. .
IMHO, Sharks are not stupid, and I bet due to the chumming they are associating humans with food. I.e.- follow those humans they might be throwing dinner overboard. In this tragic case though, the human happened to be in the water with the “chum”.

For all the claims of bounty hunting et all, I have so much to say to idiots who would try to stir up a lynch mob. That I guess my strongest word would be ‘idiots’ and then leave it at that.

Once again, my condolences, No matter the circumstances, it is still a loss of life.

Sincerely
Harry

MontyPython:
Spear Fishing in South Africa when wearing scuba gear is illegal. The thought behind it as, I understand, is that the scuba gear puts you at an advantage over the fish.

I am all for this, it would be nice though if the silly buggers in our government can extend the same courtesy to the lions, elephant and rhino. But that is a different story.

Gee, I didn't realize any poachers or "hunters" shot lions, elephants and rhinos while wearing SCUBA gear. Very interesting. Just teasing you of course.

I don't spear fish here in our waters. There are whites out there and I have no desire to tempt them. I remember many decades ago when I was abalone "hunting" (back when abalone were still abundant... and legal to take). I had a goodie bag full of abs and was swimming in a quarter mile from the point to the beach. It apparently attracted a blue shark who swam all the way into the surf line with me. These days I still see the occasional ab, but it has been years since I've seen a blue shark while underwater.

MontyPython:

Thanks, didn't know that. It's not illegal in many parts of the world though. I'm not sure what advantage it gives you though. Those buggers are fast. :wink:

MontyPython:
I should point out though that the whole of the south African coastline is ‘shark territory’ the Cape town area has though been targeted by agencies, chumming the water to please thrill seeking tourist in the opportunity to see a great white up close. .
IMHO, Sharks are not stupid, and I bet due to the chumming they are associating humans with food. I.e.- follow those humans they might be throwing dinner overboard. In this tragic case though, the human happened to be in the water with the “chum”.

Finally, someone's focused on the issue. What do you mean by "targeted by agencies" and what agencies.
MontyPython:
Once again, my condolences, No matter the circumstances, it is still a loss of life.

Ditto on that sentiment.

Back
Top Bottom