Shark deterrent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rockjock--- I think we have a difference of environments that probably varies our methods. A central line down from the top wouldn't work here due to how aggressive the sharks are and the current that we are normally diving in.

As far as a long string, that wouldn't work on the structure we dive here being most of it is ledges with large cracks and broken up rubble. I am diving scuba and am usually on the bottom. If I towed my catch as you described, I would be damaging the wildlife that is growing on the structure that I am hunting not to mention getting caught and snagged every few feet.

As for the frequency of shark attacks, I personally here of encounters, close calls, hand to hand combat or actual bites just about every week. Although quite a few fall into the first 2 sections, the 3rd is usually every couple of weeks. The 4th is every couple of months I would guess.

When you have sharks working you like a pack of dogs, any direction is fair game. I usually don't have groups of other species tag teaming me. Sand tigers on the other hand, that is a different story.

Rockjock--- I think we have a difference of environments that probably varies our methods. A central line down from the top wouldn't work here due to how aggressive the sharks are and the current that we are normally diving in.

As far as a long string, that wouldn't work on the structure we dive here being most of it is ledges with large cracks and broken up rubble. I am diving scuba and am usually on the bottom. If I towed my catch as you described, I would be damaging the wildlife that is growing on the structure that I am hunting not to mention getting caught and snagged every few feet.

As for the frequency of shark attacks, I personally here of encounters, close calls, hand to hand combat or actual bites just about every week. Although quite a few fall into the first 2 sections, the 3rd is usually every couple of weeks. The 4th is every couple of months I would guess.

When you have sharks working you like a pack of dogs, any direction is fair game. I usually don't have groups of other species tag teaming me. Sand tigers on the other hand, that is a different story.

I can buy that. We do have a lot of sharks here, I know many that have been circles for a while by Galapagos while they were hanging at deco stops. I have seen MANY of 3 of the major species here, but the environment is different. They are not nearly as aggressive as you say they are at your location. I have actually rescued a shark from a net here (5ft whitetip) while scuba diving and actually held her in my arms before I let her go. Never really gave me any scare by body language during the whole experience. I can definitely see the validity of different methods for different areas. I was basing mine on the environment here.

Do you work for shark shield? Are you a researcher for the company? Some people do not respond properly to pepper spray. Before you give any pepper spray to your wife, you should try it out on yourself... and maybe a few professional criminals to see if it works.

That's a lame justification at best. You're afraid of sharks, so you swim up to them and give them a shock.

This is a dumb statement....It is like saying hey to see if this loaded gun reallllly does work I should shoot myself first. Dumb statement

This is a dumb statement....It is like saying hey to see if this loaded gun reallllly does work I should shoot myself first. Dumb statement

That's my point. That it is not a good idea to swim up to a shark and test shark shield by dropping the whip on him and turning it on.

You guys could all learn a thing or two about shark deterrent from this guy

OK. I can understand the Dynamic Duo's need for shark repellent and barracuda repellent, but whale repellent? Manta ray repellent? What the F?

Also, did you see how much that shark was peeing when he first grabbed a hold of the Masked Crusader's leg?

This is always the most entertaining of all the forums on this board..... so many forceful opinions. I know we all think we have the qualifications and experience to back up our posts, we wouldn't post them otherwise...... but I just wonder how receptive we are to the idea that at any given time we may be incorrect or the other guy has a much better working knowledge of the subject matter. Spearfishing and my love of it got me into the scuba industry so I am pretty passionate about it and more than alittle certain about why methodology is correct for my target species and local waters..... I would rather argue with Daryl Wong and Kevin Bruington about speargun design than Chad Carney about sharks in the gulf... but hey its the internet and I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Select last night.

:popcorn::rofl3:

.... but I just wonder how receptive we are to the idea that at any given time we may be incorrect or the other guy has a much better working knowledge of the subject matter.

Sadly, this thought doesn't usually play into the condemned "stoning" prior to it transpiring.....

more than alittle certain about why methodology is correct for my target species and local waters.....
:popcorn:

Funny how everyone forgets that we are all in different environments or situations. What works for one may not for the other.......

Daryl doesn't argue, tell him I said "Hey".

Save you some reading, I am a bad person for testing out a SS when I first got one cause it was having no effect on a sand tiger. Come to find out, it is a species thing. I did feedback for the Co along with tech "debriefings" about its real world application. I will also sell them but shouldn't ever test product like this out.....

Although I haven't done it again since, I fear I have been permanently tainted by the eco divers as an official harasser of wildlife........ I should probably be flogged by PETA..... I will ponder this again later this evening while eating the grouper or hogfish I didn't give up to 2 sharks I had a "family meeting" yesterday....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom