Shark deterrent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your worried then buy a sharkshield, yes they do work and they work good, they dont "annoy" a shark, they cause it a pain from the electrical signals and this deters them so they leave, dont listen to people who dont have one or seen them in action. When your spearfishing you cant always be looking behind you every second and it is usually from there that you may get bumped by a shark or one will come in to inspect your meal, a sharkshield helps in this situation, from the front of you the shield works as well but you also have a speargun to poke them if needed, there is never a time in my expierience when I thought i needed to kill or shoot a shark, they can be crious of you and your catch but never enough, thanks to my sharkshield, to really scare the crap out of me. If you have a boat that can follow you when spearing then send up your catch on lift bags/sausages after you catch them, if this is not possible them keep the stringer in your hand and close to your body while being aware of your surroundings, especially on your deco or safety stop, this is when my shield comes in handy for me.

Mostly good advice, but I wonder. Are you sleeping with your sharkshield on? Carry your catch in your hand or on your side? Look at the shark attack statistics for spearfishing. The ones that tend to be eaten or lose a large part of their body to a curious shark are the ones that do exactly what you suggest.

The proper way to deal with your prey safely, short of sending/taking each catch up, is to either have a stringer attached to a float on the surface and hanging down in the water so that you swim back to it to attach your fish you catch then bring up the stringer after you are on the surface and in the boat, or have a stringer that you trail 10-15 feet behind you so that a curious shark can be curious about your prey and not accidentally take your leg off while they are taking a sample bite.

"The ones that tend to be eaten or lose a large part of their body to a curious shark are the ones that do exactly what you suggest. "

No, your wrong and I wonder if you even spearfish because of that statement, you say to trail a stringer of dead fish 10 to 15 ft behind you which tells any shark immediately here's some food for you have at it, then when your done chomping down all my earned fish you can approach me looking for more since I have just told you you win.

By keeping your fish close to you and especially in your hand (which you dont just dangle out to your side) and your gun in the other you show that the catch is yours and have dominance of it, sharks dont just rush in and bite your hand or arm off because your holding your stringer, they know better and this has been proven time after time by spearo's around the world. If a situation occurs were there are now many sharks and they are getting aggresive to the point were it is best to leave the water then you can decide to ditch the fish which is in your hand and not clipped to your body for added safety if the situation calls for it.
If you are spearing on scuba which many do then swimming up to your stringer is out of the question, this is only good if your freediving and even then a shark shield hanging from your stringer is an even better idea, sorry but your wrong on all ends accept sending fish to surface for boat to pick up.

Never give up your catch. You're training sharks to look at divers as a place to get an easy meal. The shark may have been curious as to who you were, and now you could start a feeding frenzy. Don't feed the bears.

Shark Shields work, but the ampullae of lorenzini (electrical sensors on sharks) seem to be highly directional. If the shark is facing me, they leave; if I'm behind it, they don't really know I'm there. As someone else mentioned, the biggest easy of mind for the shield is the shark you don't see come in behind you.

Come down to my LDS................ Let me know if you need directions............... I would be more than happy for you to come by. I would also bet that your demeanor will change while being in person as to the ambiguous anonymity the seems to preside and be quite prevalent on the internet. Seems to reason the cause would be due to a lack of accountability for ones actions and respect that one should have for another individual....

No. Unless I am totally misunderstanding your stated actions, I will tell you to your face that you are a jack ass. Stupid too.

When I am using a product and it is designed and marketed to deter sharks, I expect it to work. When said product doesn't seem to work on Sand Tigers, I want to know why. If this product allows the sharks to swim 3-4' below me in parallel, I want to know if it will have any effect on them at all. Apparently it only does on direct contact, something about the species.... good to know....... especially if I am going to market said product..... Then again, I guess I could let you find out on your own...... :lotsalove:

Do you work for shark shield? Are you a researcher for the company? Some people do not respond properly to pepper spray. Before you give any pepper spray to your wife, you should try it out on yourself... and maybe a few professional criminals to see if it works.

That's a lame justification at best. You're afraid of sharks, so you swim up to them and give them a shock.

This product assessment was done after a "bug" hunter got bit by a ST while wearing one. He had his back to it and got a taste test 2 times..........

Again, do you work for the company? Is it your job to find out if things are not working properly? What other factors may have been present that may have contributed to the incident?

Obviously it would have too much effort for you to inquire about the motives for the action, much easier to play arm chair quarterback and make assumptions....

You obviously lacking a motivation or any form of deductive ability as to my actions, if you had taking the time to read other posts I have put up in the past, they would have aided you in a character assessment of myself. It should be pretty clear I am not a reckless diver. :shakehead:

I think your post speaks for itself. You're a bad-ass shark-taming shocker! We all marvel at your manly ways......

You honestly expect people reading your posts to make inquires about your motives and research your past postings before responding? Again, I say the post speaks for itself. I would also say that someone who swims up to a sandtiger and drops a live wire on it's back is being reckless. Sandtigers usually leave divers alone, and don't attack unless molested.

This type of equipment happens to be important in the type of diving I participate in as stated above.... along with having product knowledge, INCLUDING LIMITATIONS.

I didn't say it was a regular practice, I did state it was done when I first dove with it.

Feel better about yourself now?

Typical....... someone like you or Kevin Carlisle has to make an irrational, smart comment or condone it, like that. Why am I not surprised. :no: Here I was worried someone wouldn't join the thread making unjustified, uneducated or unsubstantiated comments, assumptions or innuendos. Thanks for setting my mind at ease......

While I admit that my post may have been smart, I don't see where you can say it was irrational, unjustified, uneducated or unsubstantiated. I did make the assumption that you are not a scientist or researcher tasked with determining the limitations of a safety product, but I think the assumption was reasonable when based on the information and tone of your post.

If you have a problem with testing gear, well, ohhh, better yet, give the next Sand Tiger you see a hug from me to the next time you are trying to fill your stringer down there in Bama & Fla........ :shocked2:

Test away big boy! My problem is with how you are testing it. I wouldn't pepper spray or taser a dog to make sure the gear worked. What you are doing is essentially the same, except your dog weighs 500lbs, has sharper teeth, isn't domesticated and doesn't need a tank to breathe underwater.

I've only seen one sandtiger down here. We're stacked up with bulls and sandbars. Maybe you should come down here and try your little toy out on some bulls and see how they like it.
Call me if you get lost, I will Google a map for you......... :wink:

BTW, Kevin Carlisle, congrats on your recent cave cert....... have you considered crawling out of one and trying your hand at spearing and maybe we will see a little less of this..... :popcorn: Then again, you are regurgitating info and opinions from someone else, I presume, because you lack real world experience in this specific topic as a whole. As if this esteemed individual you put so much faith in should have any bearing on the subject from our viewpoint at this juncture. From you previous posts above you are solidifying your lack of skills and experience along with demonstrating your inept ability and continuing struggle to overcome thinking for yourself. On the brighter side, it does appear you have mastered the uncanny attribute to project an obviously uneducated, ill informed and bias opinion on said topic. I guess it is better to be good at something, then nothing, right? :wink:

Is that supposed to be an argument?

I don't know Kevin personally but what does he or his experience have to do with the issue? What qualification or experience is needed to state or to agree that kicking a dog for no reason is sh***y? I like making fun of cavers as much as the next guy :wink: but this is about you harassing wildlife for your "research" not about how many fish some other guy has speared in his lifetime.

WoW!! I got popular here LOL.. I still agree with Hetland and I think he is right on with what he said. I have plenty of dives in the gulf LOL.. I am not afraid of sharks. Dont need protection from them and know plenty of dedicated spear fishermen who dont either. So why do you? And how do you know what I have done? I dont think I know you or have ever been on a dive with you, but yes I prefer the caves. Less salt and less idiots there... LOL still find it funny my name is used sooo much there. I look at things in a simple way, dont risk what your not willing to accept the consequences for. It is their world, not ours. That would be like us cave divers saying oh no an alligator. Big deal! if your scared get out of the water.

Oh Chiller I am not a complete jerk but I did want to thank you on the cave cert. I had a meeting to attend and cut that post short. Now you mention respect, well neither you nor Mr. know it all carney gave me any and both said I know nothing of what I am talking about. As far as the spearing, no Hetland has me beat by a long shot. However for 15 years all I did was fish for sharks, every weekend.. I caught thousands of them, been in the water with them and know first hand how they act. I have felt the teeth of a black tip and a hammerhead ( luckily both small )and it was my fault both times. In light I have probably dealt with more of them than both you and Carney. You can take my numbers and multiply them by 4 since there was 4 of us fishing. I will never intentionally harm another shark. We were idiots at the time.

The point was clearly missed, I should have anticipated this.....

Let me spell it out for the 2 of you....... please pay attention....... I will only waste my time doing this once.

First, Kevin lacking said experience about spearfishing, he probably can't appreciate the gear edge that sometimes comes with multiple aggressive sharks. Then again, I can't appreciate a Salvo light when I am spearfishing. This has nothing to do with "being afraid", it has to do with averaging down the calculated risks that could get out of hand. Kevin, you started a tone with Chad, then proceeded to relay another persons view after that, clearly conveying a lack of experience in the described surroundings. Pointing out this inexperience isn't and wasn't meant to be a personal attack...... it was a point. I also perceived it as something that has been preexisting between the two of you, (Chad) none of my business or concern. I was trying to real you back in on the topic and not let it go personal....... clearly that didn't work. Next time I will just smack you in the back of the head and say "pay attention". :wink:

As for the congrats on the cave cert, that is sincere, not sarcastic.

This gear is nothing more than calculating the risk and then trying to tweak it, pushing the limits where you can as we all do. It terms you may understand better, the 1/3 rule...... a game plan to work off of and then expand.......

HETLAND HETLAND HETLAND HETLAND :shakehead::shakehead:

No. Unless I am totally misunderstanding your stated actions, I will tell you to your face that you are a jack ass. Stupid too.

Clearly I was too presumptuous in assuming you were civil and mature. You clearly want to make this personal.

Do you work for shark shield? Are you a researcher for the company?

While making a representation in the marketplace along with distributing their product, to a point, yes I do. I also have participated with the research results over a period of time from product review and questions, field application being of the primary concern discussed with the manufacturing plant in Australia.

Some people do not respond properly to pepper spray. Before you give any pepper spray to your wife, you should try it out on yourself... and maybe a few professional criminals to see if it works.

So you are saying that I should have tried it out on a different species of shark?? What??

That's a lame justification at best. You're afraid of sharks, so you swim up to them and give them a shock.

Again, Clearly I was too presumptuous in assuming you were civil and mature.

Again, do you work for the company? Is it your job to find out if things are not working properly? What other factors may have been present that may have contributed to the incident?

Again, indirectly yes. As for the dive, no, there were no noticeable or procedural factors associated with the attack. There was no speardiving being engaged in or any other issues that should have preempted the 2 hits from the shark. It appears to be out of curiosity.

I think your post speaks for itself. You're a bad-ass shark-taming shocker! We all marvel at your manly ways......

Did you know you will be far more productive in discussing or debating an issue by showing a more "factual" based approach then getting emotionally involved and undermining your viewpoint? Although your knee jerk comments are amusing, I feel others may tire of them as I am starting too. Really, this is the best you can do for a retort? :focus:

You honestly expect people reading your posts to make inquires about your motives and research your past postings before responding?

That approach is usually more productive than assuming and potentially making an undesirable persona of yourself.

Would it have been easier to say:

"Is this a normal practice that you do to sharks?" or "What would possess you to do that?"

If you had, we wouldn't have wasted all of this time going back and forth. We could have been diving or assisting someone else in something informative, not this.

Again, I say the post speaks for itself. I would also say that someone who swims up to a sandtiger and drops a live wire on it's back is being reckless. Sandtigers usually leave divers alone, and don't attack unless molested.

I've only seen one sandtiger down here.

This is how I can deduce that your experience in a similar environment may be lacking. Casting doubt on the weight of confidence that should be bestowed or considered when reading your viewpoint.
You admit having little to no experience with this species of sharks, nevermind multiple groups of them. How can you voice statements and opinions with such conviction about sand tigers and have no experience diving with them? Help me understand, please.....Do you see how you are making my point for me.

Yes, before you ask, I have film research data that was taken last season where we are diving and there are 12 sand tigers in a 40' radius of us. If I was scared of sharks, I wouldn't have been down there filming. This isn't "tooting my horn", again, this isn't about fear, it is about calculation risks and product application.

We're stacked up with bulls and sandbars. Maybe you should come down here and try your little toy out on some bulls and see how they like it.

Ironically, we have them here to. Thank you for the offer though. I can tell you that they don't care for the SS either. The seem to be more sensitive to it and don't usually let you get close enough to lay the whip on them.....:wink: hum, what was that maturity statement I was saying earlier? Why do you feel the need to make this personal? :shakehead:

Feel better about yourself now?

I didn't feel bad before. I am concerned about you though, are you doing OK? Are you stressed, can I get you anything?

While I admit that my post may have been smart,
Agreed

I don't see where you can say it was irrational, unjustified, uneducated or unsubstantiated.

If you don't see it, how can you quote it, look up, it is way up there ^, right there. :rofl3:

irrational ------ expressing an opinion without proper experience or familiarity to situation. Then proceeding to make it personal.

unjustified ---- you inserted a derogatory remark, unprovoked, making it personal

uneducated --- you made an assumption that was incorrect, this could have been avoided by educating yourself first, simply ask a question or two before going on the attack.

unsubstantiated- you based your opinions on other individuals experiences, situations, assumptions and knowledge without having derived to a logical conclusion by any form of deductive reasoning......

I did make the assumption that you are not a scientist or researcher tasked with determining the limitations of a safety product, but I think the assumption was reasonable when based on the information and tone of your post.
I think I covered this, agreed?

Test away big boy! My problem is with how you are testing it. I wouldn't pepper spray or taser a dog to make sure the gear worked. What you are doing is essentially the same, except your dog weighs 500lbs, has sharper teeth, isn't domesticated and doesn't need a tank to breathe underwater.

How are I supposed to know product limitations without real world application? It is turning into a mute point. I don't know of any product that isn't tested in the environment that is it designed for........ not one........

At least I am doing it personally. Could you imagine what people would say if I asked my wife to do it? :wink:

I don't know Kevin personally but what does he or his experience have to do with the issue?
Do you really want me to get into this. :rofl3: I am going to exercise extreme self control here and say if you don't have experience in a specific application, you shouldn't be telling other people how to do it. Enough said.

What qualification or experience is needed to state or to agree that kicking a dog for no reason is sh***y? This is about you harassing wildlife for your "research" not about how many fish some other guy has speared in his lifetime.

Obviously an emotional opinion clearly shared by both of you, does this make it right? Do you still feel that it was "for fun" of just for harassing wildlife as you did before I started wasting 30 minutes of my life I can't get back? As for the "how many fish" comment, don't know what point you are trying to make, doesn't really matter at this time, agreed?

I like making fun of cavers as much as the next guy :wink:
My last point:

There is a place for sarcasm, I can be ruthless to buddies or someone I know, I do keep it toned down to individuals such as yourself that I don't know, at least until I have a perspective on their viewpoints or ideals. I have made an extreme effort to reply to your remarks with kid gloves still on. :wink:

Get to know me before you judge me. If I know that you are "busting my -----", fine, I can handle it. If you have a question, ask, I will shot straight. If we differ on viewpoints, that is understandable, occasionally you are going to be wrong, I except this. :wink: If you have a point, lets keep it on topic. If you are interested in turning it into personal attacks, please direct them elsewhere.

If you feel you have reason to be upset from petty issues or points that were brought up in this thread, consider being mature about it and letting bygones be bygones. I have not questioned your character to date, just your comments and actions, keep that in mind. The same courtesy was not conveyed.

Clearly I think enough of the two of you to extend an olive branch once, as I should.

Who knows, I may turn out to be your gear "hookup" or see you at a spearo tourney.

Kevin, I don't dive caves much anymore, however, I have done part of the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and used to dive Morrison Springs quite a bit in Fla.

Hetland, if you are going to stand a chance in competing in the blue water category, we are going to have to discuss that 48" gun you are shooting...... :D

Carry on.........

Last edited:
As I said I probably have more experience than most. We would pole spear for flounders and such while at shallower sights catching blacktips and lemons during the day. Never had an issue and met a lot of bulls that way so I do have the experience, but NOT with scuba. I was not a dver then. I wont ever go spearing again..I prefer bug hunting. I like the cave jokes by the way. Too many people think we are really nuts.. I swear we are not!! I am not offended by you Killer and be glad to take any grouper you want to send off your hands.

For some reason, it doesn't work as well on sand tigers as it does on all the others. You would think since the company is in Australia and that is a predominant shark there, more research would have been done on them. Works on others much better. I have plenty of video of sand tigers less then 4 ' away with the SS on. I have also swam directly over sand tigers and dropped my whip on their back from the Freedom 7 to see how it worked when I first got it...... they REALLY DON'T LIKE THAT...... :D

I have a problem with that. I don't expect you to care or to change your behavior, but I will call it out, in person or on an "anonymous" bulletin board. I don't need to swim with sandtigers or be educated by you to know that the species is only responsible for a minority of attacks on divers (3.3%). There is nothing for you to explain to me, and you won't be able to educate me into a position where I agree that you were justified. Your association with the manufacturer appears to be tenuous, and you have not convinced me that there was any scientific or "greater good" value to your exercise. But I'm not your daddy, your priest, or your instructor. I'm just a guy, and that's just my opinion. Your's is different, and that's just the way it is. No need to go to war over a difference.

To join your effort in ending further bloodshed I'll admit that most everything else we have said to each other has been useless banter. I'm confident that we know our own waters better than each other, and neither of us has killed ourselves yet, so we can at least breathe through our mouths and watch a dive computer with some reliability. I'll stick with my 48, and I'm not interested in shooting the biggest fish or joining a tournament. I will have a friendly competition with you or the other guys on the boat over who can make the hardest shot or lose/break the most gear on a trip, and I'll gladly laugh it up with you over some snapper filets or burgers and few cold beverages. You can tell stories about that cold-ass water up there (no shark-shocking stories please) and I'll tell you about zero-viz jellyfish diving :wink:

"The ones that tend to be eaten or lose a large part of their body to a curious shark are the ones that do exactly what you suggest. "

No, your wrong and I wonder if you even spearfish because of that statement, you say to trail a stringer of dead fish 10 to 15 ft behind you which tells any shark immediately here's some food for you have at it, then when your done chomping down all my earned fish you can approach me looking for more since I have just told you you win.

By keeping your fish close to you and especially in your hand (which you dont just dangle out to your side) and your gun in the other you show that the catch is yours and have dominance of it, sharks dont just rush in and bite your hand or arm off because your holding your stringer, they know better and this has been proven time after time by spearo's around the world. If a situation occurs were there are now many sharks and they are getting aggresive to the point were it is best to leave the water then you can decide to ditch the fish which is in your hand and not clipped to your body for added safety if the situation calls for it.
If you are spearing on scuba which many do then swimming up to your stringer is out of the question, this is only good if your freediving and even then a shark shield hanging from your stringer is an even better idea, sorry but your wrong on all ends accept sending fish to surface for boat to pick up.

Yes I have and sorry, but you need to go back and actually read the shark attack reports to see that most of the spearfishermen that get bitten aren't trailing a stringer they have followed the trail of blood up to the person and taken a nice bite out of their side or taken their hand, where the fish was either being held or attached. They don't follow your stringer up and take a bite. They also don't usally attack from the front so if you going after a fish you probably don't even know there is a shark there unless a few have gathered and happened to come in from the front. In the 4 years I have been in the islands there has been 2 shark attacks. One of those was a surfer from the mainland and the other I believe was a snorkler. I have heard of none either here, in the news, or through friends and the standard method for most here is to either trail a long stringer or have a central stringer hanging from a boat or float. All of this and I have seen no trained sharks following me because they know a stringer means lunch. That is the same failed logic on shark dive tours here. I have seen no more sharks in the water than before just because they take cages out 3 miles off shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom