Shark attacks down worldwide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dugongberbulu

Contributor
Reaction score
GAINESVILLE, Florida (AP) -- Shark attacks were down worldwide last year, continuing a five-year trend due in part to humans being more savvy about how to avoid being bitten, a monitoring program reported Monday.

There were 58 total attacks in 2005, compared with 65 in 2004, while the number of fatal attacks dropped from seven to four, said George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack File based at the University of Florida's Museum of Natural History.

There were 78 attacks in 2000 -- a record year for attacks. Eleven of them were fatal, Burgess said. (Watch an Australian shark frenzy -- :43)

Surfers were the most frequent victims last year, accounting for 29 attacks, followed by 20 attacks on swimmers and waders and four attacks on divers.

"It appears that humans are doing a better job of avoiding being bitten, and on the rare occasion where they actually meet up with a shark, and are doing the right thing to save their lives," Burgess said.

Burgess said swimmers need to fight back if a shark attacks, pointing to a suffer who survived a December 24 attack off the Oregon coast by using a well-timed punch to the shark's nose. Punching the gills and poking the eyes also work, Burgess said.

Despite a worldwide decline, the number attacks in the United States rose slightly from 30 in 2004 to 38 in 2005, but well below the record of 52 in 2000.

Florida remained to U.S. shark attack capital, where the number of attacks increased from 12 to 18, but below the record of 37, Burgess said.

The number of shark attacks depends on a variety of factors, including ocean and weather conditions and abundance of prey, Burgess said.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Dugongberbulu:
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

hehehehehe:wink:

I'm glad the report tries to make some effort to explain the reason for the decline, but then I saw the report about the U.S. So while people everywhere else on the planet are getting educated and smarter ... in the U.S. they just keep getting more stupid ... makes perfect sense to me. Or is it that the sharks prefer U.S. beef ... or is it that the sharks are smarter here than elsewhere.

Since I'm not in the ocean much unless I'm scuba diving.... I'd really like to know what those 4 divers were doing when they got attacked.

DiverBuoy:
I'm glad the report tries to make some effort to explain the reason for the decline, but then I saw the report about the U.S. So while people everywhere else on the planet are getting educated and smarter ... in the U.S. they just keep getting more stupid ... makes perfect sense to me. Or is it that the sharks prefer U.S. beef ... or is it that the sharks are smarter here than elsewhere.
Maybe they recognize that we are more of a mouthful -- on average we are fatter, slower ... referring to the high obesity stats for the US. See attached photo. :)

Willie

StSomewhere:
Interesting analysis. It couldn't be that there are fewer sharks, could it? Hmm, I wonder....

You beat me to that one! Of course shark attacks are down. Heck, there aren't many of them left to attack us. Certainly one way to reduce the number of shark attacks world wide... kill millions of them each year.

drbill:
You beat me to that one! Of course shark attacks are down. Heck, there aren't many of them left to attack us. Certainly one way to reduce the number of shark attacks world wide... kill millions of them each year.

Very sad and absolutely true.....

DiverBuoy:

No I believe it's that people are fatter and therefore more enticing to the sharks in the U.S. LMAO :jaws:

wet-willie:
Maybe they recognize that we are more of a mouthful -- on average we are fatter, slower ... referring to the high obesity stats for the US. See attached photo. :)

Willie

clarktenk:
No I believe it's that people are fatter and therefore more enticing to the sharks in the U.S. LMAO

Too true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom